News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 569     0 

Thai Restaurants

^ I had the Bangkok stir fry with a chilli scale of 10. My partner had one bite and couldn't tolerate the spicyness.
Next time I go, I'll try the Mango Chicken.

Oh, and the curries with the coconut milk sauces? Coconuttttttttttttttttt.

hehe, Hamilton, I think you mean Green Mango!

Great to see you this weekend!

Louroz

I don't like the Green Mango on the east side of Yonge. I find it particularly user-unfriendly. If you don't know the menu, it is not clear how to order, what comes with what, and it is hard to figure out the right things to order when they are trying to keep the line moving quickly and there is a lineup behind you. I can't remember what I had but it was surprisingly bland and boring.

On the other hand, the food was great at the full-service version on the west side of Yonge. I won't consider going back to the east side.

Review: Joy Thai

Dec. 30, 2005
AMY PATAKI

On my days off, there is no reason for me to eat Thai food anywhere other than at Joy Thai (3192 Yonge St., 416-487-5144). Nothing else I've come across professionally compares to the cooking of Surachat Kumphol, who used to cook for the Thai royal family in Bangkok.

Here the kitchen knows how to balance sweet, salty, hot and sour, the key to Thai cooking. Mango salad ($6.95), spurred to greatness by chili, lime and palm sugar, is an exemplar of the dish. Same with butter-tender chicken satays ($6.95) and the creamy coconut richness of panang nuer red curry beef ($9.95). There may not be a lot of shrimp in the garlic shrimp ($10.95), but there's plenty of heady garlic. Double your order for the sauce alone.

The Lawrence Park restaurant isn't much to look at, but does a brisk business in takeout. The cold spring rolls ($6.95) quickly sell out; regulars know to place their orders early. That's what I did after our family decided to celebrate this most recent Jewish new year with takeout Thai food instead of the usual large, home-cooked meal. (Who needs the hassle?) We ushered in year 5766 with everything mentioned above plus garlicky glass noodles, ginger chicken, pad thai and steaming bowls of jasmine rice. It was voted one of the best holiday dinners ever.

Oh yeah. Today was the annual Canada Day free lunch at Vicki's F&C/Sue's Thai at Roncy + Howard Park. (Funny how that joint's not been mentioned in this thread yet...)

Urban Thai on Queen in the Beach(es) is a great place I've found recently.

Bangkok Garden

Went to Bangkok Garden for the first time since they reopened (after being closed for 18 months). The layout and the ambiance of place was very good, a very nice restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't say that the food is the same excellent quality as it was before it was closed (it is still good - but not as good as my memories). The menu seems to have moved more towards the regular fare from the "Royal Thai Cuisine" that they did before. I am sure if I was not comparing the current Bangkok Garden to the older Bangkok Garden I would have given it higher marks.

Ivory Thailand

Looks like the Ivory Thailand Restaurant is ready (or very close) for opening. They are replacing the Young Thailand Restaurant that was there before (on Church). I really hope they are as good as the Young Thailand Restaurant was. They made a duck curry that was the best one I have had in Toronto.

I generally make my own Thai curries, but for some reason the only time I tried Duck curry -- it just was not up to the standard I want (duck curry is harder to make).

BTW, If you try making thai curry - NEVER NEVER EVER use canned coconut cream/milk. Starting with coconuts may take an extra hour or more -- but the results are well worth it (I have not tried frozen coconut cream/milk - I know it exists - never found it though).

The best and authentic Thai food would be Young Thailand. Unfortunately, the good taste of our Torontonians preferred places like East, Spring Rolls and Green Mango that drove Young Thailand to shut its doors. Sign. Their best green mango salad will always be missed. Shame.

I think there were other problems at Young Thailand; namely I think they expanded to too many locations without maintaining good control over the quality of the food. I used to love the place, but last my meals at a couple of them made me miss my first meals at the original location.

Back