News   Jul 26, 2024
 579     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 479     1 

Telus cell phone service- good or bad?

Bell, Telus and Rogers

The bad, the worse and the ugly

Take your pick, LOL

I've only had really good experiences with Telus customer service.

I have Rogers for tv/internet and the customer service really is the worst.

I've never really had a problem with Rogers customer service. You can call them almost any time of the day, the wait isn't bad, and they usually get things done. Bell, like its coverage, has the worst customer service.

Stay away from Bellus if you don't want to support Qualcomm.

Personally I think Fido is the best with the benefits of: GSM, Rogers' network, per second billing (per minute for Bell, Telus and Rogers) and 7 pm evenings (9pm for Bell, Telus and Rogers). It's the best of both worlds.

Just stay away from low-end free phones that any carrier offers. And stay away from LG.

I'm currently searching for my first cellphone. I don't care much about the phone itself (as long as it works and doesn't fall apart), but trying to decide on a plan/prepaid is a real pain. I'm not a heavy user and mostly communicate using the internet, but I don't want to get hosed if I want to make an hour-long phone call (I'm flexible to phone in the evening or "call me back"). I see that some services charge different rates for long-distance incoming than for local incoming (what gives?), which wouldn't work for me as my family are all long distance.

I'm currently considering prepaid. Any tips or advice?

I don't pay long distance incoming as long as I am in the Toronto calling area (and I have an incoming plan). With the Fido plan, I pay 4.3 cents a minute long distance for NA. I'd suggest a plan myself rather than pre-paid. I had prepaid for three years, and found that the minutes eat up faster than expected. I'd sign-up for a low-cost unlimited incoming plan, it sounds like you don't care too much about # of daytime minutes or anything like that.

I agree. Prepaid sucks. Minutes disappear quickly because they're billed by the minute. And refilling sucks too. And you can't get text messaging packages on prepaid. I would recommend the $30 Unlimited Incoming Package from Fido or the $25 My 5 package from Rogers.

Pros of the $30 Fido package: unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited network calling (Rogers Wireless, Fido, Rogers Home Phone), 7pm evenings, billed by the second
Cons: must sign a 3 year contract for the unlimited network calling bonus

Pros of the $25 Rogers My 5: unlimited talk and text to any 5 local numbers; 1000 evenings and weekends (it's more than enough for a light user)
Cons: 9pm evenings, billed by the minute; must sign a 3-year contract for most plans

I'd recommend the Fido package.

As a student I see that Fido has a $25 package for unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings and weekends, 150 "anytime" minutes (why not just say weekday? Or am I missing something?), and $25 off with a 2-year plan or $50 off with 3 years. Seems pretty sweet.

Now I just need to pick a phone. Any recommendations?

As a student I see that Fido has a $25 package for unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings and weekends, 150 "anytime" minutes (why not just say weekday? Or am I missing something?), and $25 off with a 2-year plan or $50 off with 3 years. Seems pretty sweet.

Now I just need to pick a phone. Any recommendations?

Nokia 6300, Sony Ericsson Z710, Nokia 6126, Motorola KRZR K1. Depends what you're looking for really.

Thanks, that's a good list for me to start with.

I guess I'm looking for sturdy, good battery life (don't have to charge daily), and good reception. Don't have any need for a camera or MP3 player.

The best idea at this point is probably for me to head down to a store and get a feel for the options.

For battery life, look at the handsets that say "Depend on your Fido" beside them: i.e. Motorola W510, Sony Ericsson Z710, Sony Ericsson W300, Motorola KRZR K1. Of those I'd go for the Z710 or K1.

Back