News   Jul 23, 2024
 133     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 880     1 

Tarion new home inspections + compensation from builders.

euges720

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just moved into a condo last year (I own it), and my one-year warranty request was due awhile back. Very long story short, my builder did the repairs as stated, but for one of them, I'm not entirely happy with. It's like they did only 50% of the job. They moved me out of my condo for three weeks while they did the repairs, and I spoke with the warranty co-ordinator, she said that she can have it done 90%, if not 100%, but that means I have to move out again (they pay for my hotel) for a week or so. I was fine with moving out in the summer, but I'm a student, and school has started, so moving out now would be a real hassle.

To be honest, I can "accept" the job that they did. (That is, I can accept the 50%, but I won't and didn't tell the builder, of course.) The warranty co-ordinator pretty much implied that the option was to move out, or not fix it.

I'm wondering, if I opt for not fixing it (that is, accepting the 50%), can I request monetary compensation? Yes, I'm just trying to squeeze some money out of it, but I think I have my request for compensation would be reasonable. No?

Thanks,
euges720

I don't think that's fraudulent, he's just asking if negotiating a financial settlement in lieu of repairs is possible. I doubt they'll do it but you can ask the developer. In our second condo the developer tried to offer us money instead of fixing the two remaining deficiencies they'd been putting off completing but we refused so who knows.

One way to do this is to get your Tarion rep to write in their report that you have to move out again etc.

If that seems unreasonable to you, then you can appeal to Tarion in a process where you pay $100 or $150 as a fee (cant remember the figure). In the form that you use for the appeal, check the mediation box so that you can sit down with a Tarion judge first in an informal way to settle it with your developer. This means you wont have to go to the actual tribunal which is much more formal. In this informal setting, you will usually get the judge to pressure the developer to cough up some money as compensation to make it all go away and stay out of the tribunal. Bring your pictures, video ie. evidence of the wrong!

I've done this and so have my friends. You will get money and it is much more satisfying. Look up the procedure at the Tarion website.
S'Bus

Back