News   Jul 15, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     1 

Switzerland Minarets Laws

The nation state is a lie. No country in Europe is populated solely by one native nation (except for Iceland). The nation state was a myth created in the 19th Century.

I'm with you most of the way, Lesouris, but your nation-state is a straw man. It doesn't depend on being populated solely by one native nation, and it remains the basic building block of international law.

Nation-states continue to be structured around a particular cultural responsibility to a national majority and concomitant cultural responsibilities to national minorities. These so-called "collective rights" are required to be implemented in a way which respect individual rights.

Many nation-states violate these laws, of course -- if you compare, say, Turkey, Greece, Sweden and Finland, you end up with quite the continuum -- but a framework is certainly in place. Our own Supreme Court's Secession Reference case, now more than 10 years old, remains required reading in most basic courses on international law precisely because it lays out these rules.

Clearly, this does not mean that the nation-state is the be-all and end-all. Countries ought to be able to evolve past it, and hopefully we will get there one day. But I think that is a complicated matter, and requires taking account of the way that non-nation-states either, like the settler countries (Canada, Oz, etc.), by simply trampling over existing cultural groups (and then gradually restoring their collective rights in nation-state-like solutions, ironically), or, like France and to some degree the U.S., by simply requiring a reboot which fashions a new centralized culture to form the nation of the natioon-state, again trampling over the cultures of existing groups which came before.

If Europeans still cling to the nation state, perhaps they deserve to have their identities shattered as they cannot live with the benefits of globalization without living in a global world. If your identity necessitates looking at people first and foremost as a member of an ethnic group, a religion, wherever their distant ancestors came from centuries ago, or whatever crap their ancestors did to your ancestors, I really wouldn't mind if your identity got ripped apart.

This either/or is unhelpful, I think. One of the things that nation-states do is act as guarantors for the ongoing survival and evolution of cultural groups and languages. They're not the only way to do it, but they're the way international law provides for it today -- and, furthermore, international law provides for such structures to guarantee individual rights in the process.

From your posts in this thread and in the gentrification thread you started away back when, I'm getting the impression that you're not a big fan of change at all - countries should stay the same, people should stay the same, and neighbourhood should stay the same. Unfortunately, we live in a world (and always have, even back in 1453) of constant change.

I cannot tell whether LAz believes what he's saying, or is trolling ineptly through the use of sarcasm. No matter, I suppose.

Last edited:
I believe LAz is a Serbian Orthodox Christian. That explains everything.:) Merry Xmas LAz and all other Eastern Orthodox UT members!

And what does that have to do with anything? As am I, and I understand where LAz is coming from. Spaniards see Islam as a huge threat as well; there are very few Europeans who don't.

Islam doesn't integrate, it tries to change the country it's in.

Really? Last time I checked Canada has a significant muslim population and I haven't really seen Sharia on the Charter.

Are you wondering why we can't say Merry Christmas, put up 'normal' Christmas trees in public places?

Most of that started with overwhelming complaints from, among others, the Islamic community.

And a Turk who was born in Sofia, whose parents were born in Sofia, whose grandparents were born in Sofia, etc. is from Sofia - pretending he's some Anatolian transplant that should go back were he came from is silliness at the least.

There are very very few Turks in Sofia. They are mainly marginalized in certain parts of the country, and live in misery.

They might have been converts a couple centuries ago, but today most of them are born in the faith.

And they were a small minority - but Islam represses women in the way that it pushed them into child bearing moreso than the labor force, their demographics changed. Islam would not be an issue in this region. It was forced into the region, people were forced to accept it against their will. This has caused many problems.

I was separating Europe into geographical regions. Albanians live in many regions under many governments. It doesn't matter to me if they had a higher birthrate than their Christian neighbours in the past. They're there now. There's been ethnic cleansing on all sides during the breakup of Yugoslavia, and mosques have made just as good targets as churches to fanatical nationalists. Does that excuse the destruction of churches in Kosovo? No, but let's not pretend Muslims/Islam caused that whole atrocious chapter in human history.

Islam has caused pain and suffering in the former Yugoslavia. This region is even questionable to the extent that it can be called European. You are clearly a muslim sympathizer, as you use the term Sandjzad - if you compared the part in serbia, Raska region, to serbia's total population you would see that it is not very significant.

The ethnic cleansing of Serbians under Croatia's fascist regime during WWII had nothing to do with tensions between the two ethnic groups, right? It was all the Muslims' fault, right? People will find stupid reasons to kill each other when times get tough.

I do not think that the Serbs and Croats had major/significant issues until that ww2 stuff. The nazi regime came to power in occupied croatia. I don't see why you even bother trying to bring up this non-sense. You are trying to divert the focus away from islam.

Go back less than a century and people were saying the same things about Jews as you are about Muslims. Back then it wasn't so easy for Jews to assimilate into European societies, and it was because Europeans wouldn't let them - similarities to what's going on with Muslims in Europe now, this steadfast refusal to see them as anything but foreign, is alarming and unfortunate.

The Jews do not expand as the Muslims do. That is the key difference that you seem to want to ignore. It's very big contrast - the domestic people who do not have many kids vs foreign muslims who have like 5 or more whose women do not work. Big contrast. They're already 10% of france's population. You gonna be happy when it gets to over 50% and they declare the islamic republic of france?

Sarajevo became predominantly Muslim when many residents converted to Islam under Ottoman rule (Manila became predominantly Catholic under Spanish rule too, etc.).

Sarajevo's area was always of a christian majority, always. The city itself had a dominant christian majority during the Yugoslav era. Then after ww2, thing started to change. Now it is an islamic city cleansed of most of its former christian inhabitants.

Hagia Sophia is no longer a mosque, but a public museum. I don't think you can expect any better when it comes to a building that is held dearly by two religions and two communities.

One religious community has been genocided. Nice.
While the christians exist in tiny numbers, the fact remains that their building has been stolen and fucked up. Turning a church into a mosque is disgusting!, as is turning any religious building into one of another religion.

The nation state is a lie. No country in Europe is populated solely by one native nation

Perhaps. But, people identify with that one nation as it binds them together based on common things. Poland for instance has pretty strong identity, and I would go and call it a nation state. One will not get to a point where there is 100%, even in Iceland, but when you're at 95% or 99%, it's pretty safe to say that it's a nation-state.

From your posts in this thread and in the gentrification thread you started away back when, I'm getting the impression that you're not a big fan of change at all - countries should stay the same, people should stay the same, and neighbourhood should stay the same.

I do not oppose gradual change. With neighborhoods - I do oppose the flushing out of people for their homes/property to be replaced by newcomers.
What we are dealing with in this topic is change on a far more drastic level. Islam is radically different and simply does not fit in with European values/culture/customs.

And what does that have to do with anything? As am I, and I understand where LAz is coming from. Spaniards see Islam as a huge threat as well; there are very few Europeans who don't.

Islam doesn't integrate, it tries to change the country it's in.

WHOAH WTF RACIST!

I thought that Europeans loved Islam so much and just can't wait for more Muslims to come in and replace their lands? This is why we must protest this undemocratic will of the people in Switzerland, which reflects the european ethos.

Maybe these people will wake up when they ban santa claus, like they did in islamified Sarajevo. But by then it would be too late. Like what kind of fucknuts ban santa claus? Wtf man. Wtf.

I have talked to muslims here and know many. They, like myself, are disgusted with lots of the culture here. Like how a kid can tell his mom fuck you bitch when told to clean their room. Spanking is child abuse here... so anyways, I do feel that there is much good stuff in islam. But similarly how they have these issues with some stuff, they have the same issues with other stuff that should not be issues at all. Why are they issues?- because Islam is an incredibly strict religion. Perhaps it is the most hardest religion. At any rate, it goes against human rights as we know them in the west. It is in major contrast to European values, and so people there have a problem with Islam spreading where it has no traditional foothold. I don't get why people are so surprised at this. I am surprised that there have not been more such referendums. Shit, I used to live in Ljubljana, Slovenia... building a mosque there was such a huge issue. Keep in mind, the country has none. I am not sure if they ended up building it at all, but it brought about widespread disgust among the slovenians.

Spread of religion = bad.
Spread of foreign religion onto domestic population = worse. We need integration, not change from foreigners who do not want to assimilate.

IMO, the biggest threat in the west is not islam or muslims, it's relapsing back into a time when people were really ignorant.

... or are these things in fact perceived as one and the same? The backlash against Islam is more about cultural practices and beliefs after all than it is about religion per se, the fear for many being the perceived 'relapse' to ignorance the muslim culture of religiosity represents to the West. The struggle towards secularism, enlightenment and fundamental rights throughout the 'christian' west has been a long and difficult one, the gains still fragile. Yes Rome is still very conservative and yes there are still some relatively small but fringe evangelist minority groups hanging on out there but by and large the christian Western world has evolved (as recently as this week Portugal becoming yet another essentially catholic nation-state to legalize gay marriage). The discomfort and anxiety we see with regard to the growing number of muslims amongst us then is probably less an issue of intolerance for intolerance's sake, so to speak, so much as a lack of tolerance for that which is perceived as a threat to or subversive of western secular beliefs, whence the very visceral and primal insult many western women feel with respect to Burkas and veils for example....

From this point of view maybe the reaction to minarets in Switzerland is not about muslim towers blocking the scenic alpine view, so much as it is about the sense of an encroaching world view or heritage that is unwelcomed.

Are you wondering why we can't say Merry Christmas, put up 'normal' Christmas trees in public places?

Wow.

It seems that Orthodox Serbs have an inability to think rationally. I don't want them in my country.

From this point of view maybe the reaction to minarets in Switzerland is not about muslim towers blocking the scenic alpine view, so much as it is about the sense of an encroaching world view or heritage that is unwelcomed.

So you've come full circle? It only took 19 pages and a couple of cameo's by some Serbs.

Last edited:
Spread of religion = bad.
Spread of foreign religion onto domestic population = worse. We need integration, not change from foreigners who do not want to assimilate.

Foreign religion? What the hell does that mean? There are a lot of problems with using the term "foreign religion," let alone saying that "foreign" religions are worse than "domestic" religions.

Since ALL the mainstream religions originated in Asia, even Christianity comes from Asia, it can be said that all religions are foreign, from a Canadian perspective.

Seeing all these ridiculous posts about Islam and immigrants in this thread makes me regret my earlier criticism of Islam. This thread really brought out the nationalist/racist elements of this forum. I hate religion with a passion, but I hate nationalism and patriotism even more.

Wow.

It seems that Orthodox Serbs have an inability to think rationally. I don't want them in my country.

What's unrational.. This is the opinion of the majority of EUROPEANS. Come to Spain, France, Austria.. ANY traditional European country with a large Muslim population and ask a native how do they feel about them.

If you're about to generalize on an entire nationality, then I might as well say: "Well black people don't seem to be able to educate themselves and then shoot neighbourhoods up, therefore we shouldn't have them in our country!"

Wow.

So you've come full circle? It only took 19 pages and a couple of cameo's by some Serbs.

On the one hand, sure why not? I'm not going to pretend I have all the answers or that my thoughts are unassailable. Participating in a forum is as much about considering new ideas and challenges to one's position as it about offering one's own thoughts, no? If we at least come from a position of sincerity in what we post where's the harm?

On the other hand I don't see my previous post as incongruous with past ones. The impulse to preserve one's built-form specifically, or one's heritage in a larger sense, is really just part and parcel of the same issue, the minarets being perceived as a symbol of the cultural encroachment of the muslim east into the secular west, which is clearly not welcomed even if muslim individuals may be. The steeples vs minarets argument then becomes a bit of red herring given the diminishing 'religious' value of steeples in the West as opposed to their more profound yet benign cultural one. At the end of the day the knee-jerk assumption that the Swiss or other Europeans reacting similarly are all simply xenophobic racists is clearly facile even if the tactics being used by some to do so are, and relentlessly citing the actions of radicalized fringed christians as a defense of the right to muslim religiosity also rings hollow for many as radicalized christians are also increasingly less representative of the prevailing secular zeitgeist in the west...

Last edited:
It's the silly Serbs that brought Islam to much of Europe in the first place. In 1914, Gavrilo Princip shoots Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, sparking the events leading to the First World War. The First World War leads to the Second World War, the end of which brings hundreds of thousands of Turkish Muslims into Europe as guest workers to rebuild after the war, who never leave once the building is completed. The First World War also brings the end to the Ottoman Empire, and the Second World War brings the (slow) end of the British and French Empires, all three result in Muslim populations in flux throughout the Middle East and North Africa, bringing millions more Muslims into Europe. Then we have Serbians in the 1980s and 90s attacking Bosnian and Albanian Muslims, forcing much of these two Muslim populations into Western Europe, including approximately 50,000 Bosnian/Albanian Muslims into Canada. So, Serbia wrecked the world order in 1914, and brought Islam to the west hundreds of years after Spain pushed it out.

Of course this is all tongue in cheek history, but , Serbs you right.

Last edited:

Most of that started with overwhelming complaints from, among others, the Islamic community.

Tell me, when was is the last time a police officer ticked you for saying that? There is no state religion in Canada. There is a religion where the majority participates, but NO religion is a part of our government. It's a handy thing called the separation of church/mosque/temple/synagog etc. and state.

If you want to say 'merry christmas', no one's going to stop you from doing it.

Last edited:

Back