369     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 622     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     1 

Summer in cottage country - downtown Huntsville

B

Brighter Hell

remember summer? here's some pics to tide you over until cottage season. huntsville has everything you'd expect in a cottage town: the outfitters stores, the boat traffic, and ridiculous looking tourists. ahsun has a huntsville gallery at trillium as well.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Great pictures. Thank you.
In front of the Civic Centre (5th pic from the bottom), at the right, the statue is Tom Thomson, the famous artist who spent a lot of time in the area, seated with his sketch pad, and with his canoe nearby. In the winter, they tie a scarf around his neck.

strange. cottage country is an unfamiliar concept to me... my family always spend the summer (okay, two weeks) on the west coast, in, uh, condo country.

Had lunch at the place in the ninth photo before heading off to camp at Killbear. Huntsville is nice.

Tom Thompson's artist kit really looks like a laptop, I noticed it the last time I was in Huntsville. Its a great town, but I'm afraid the downtown is going to die due to the new big box Wallmart development just outside of town. There are rumors of the town's only LCBO moving out there, and if that happens, the historic downtown is certainly doomed.

Stokell: I certainly hope that can be avoided. There is quite a bit of new development on the outskirts of Huntsville. It's one of the few towns up there that is actually growing significantly. The good news is that there has been a mall on the outskirts of town for years, as well as a big freestanding Canadian Tire and some other stores, and the downtown has remained healthy to date. Hope this remains so.

But the Canadian Tire, Huntsville Place Mall, and the other stores in that area are hardly on the outskirts, that stretch of main street is now being incorporated in downtown, it may not be historic downtown, but it still is downtown. On the other hand, the Wallmart, and all the other big box stores that went up, are far from downtown(just east of highway 11). I think this situation is much different.

It seems Toronto could learn a thing or two from Huntsville about keeping trees alive and well along the sidewalks.

Stokell: I absolutely share your concern. The Huntsville downtown has been resilient in the past but that doesn't necessarily mean it can stand up to a Walmart, which has caused damage to other small-town downtowns.

I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as there is demand for Walmart, they will build stores. Attempts to zone them out of existence would probably not hold up, although I understand that in Vancouver they have no stores because of city opposition.

Back