News   Jul 30, 2024
 745     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 626     0 

Subway Revitalization Project

Call me unimaginative, but I also think Museum is not so bad as it is. Certainly not exciting, but not bad. Those proposed pillars will not only be targets for vandals (at this station which is so often deserted) but will probably be hell to keep clean. I would have to think there are higher priorities, including several mentioned above.

Re Yonge station (lower level at Bloor - Yonge), if ever a station needed some kind of upgrading, this one is it. The bad news is that we won't get another platform. There was a fairly detailed discussion about this on Steve Munro's website a few months ago. This station is literally built into the basement level of the Hudsons Bay Centre and would be virtually impossible to expand without pulling down HBC. (Yeah I know, that would be highly desirable, but not likely to happen anytime soon.)

It may be misguided and uncalled for, but it really such a bad thing? Will it hurt things, will it decrease quaility, or any such thing? Sure, it's garish but I'll take any station reno I can get. This will fix the ceiling and likely other things, the decorations themselves could always be changed later.

Are these just proposed designs or are these the final station designs? I'm not sure I understand the theme behind the St. Patrick station- why those colours and why is there a giant pic of some guy running in his underpants?

Boggy - I don't know if these are the final final final designs or not. While it seems that finished, executed work always differs somewhat from the shiniest computer renderings that the public is presented with, one would guess that at least the Museum design we have seen is pretty final as work is underway there now.

While I agree with others that Museum has been a very clean and pure example of the TTC's 1960s architecture and that strictly speaking there was no functional need for this revitalization, I also don't mind that it is being remade. There is just so much of that 60s stuff under this city that losing one example of it is no cause for concern for me. Many of the remaining subway stations of that age are in no danger of ever being substantially altered, so the architectural gallery of the beauty of banal will continue to live underfoot and be accessible to the masses via frequent, high speed service, for ever and ever.

In regards to St Patrick specifically, that station is much rarer. With it and Queens Park being the only two tunneled stations on the system, (hence the tube shape), one does want to be more careful. Not that the tube isn't being utilized well in this reno, it's just that the monumentality of the tube may be enough on its own as a piece of art, and that the AGO tie-in at this station should possibly be restricted to the mezzanine, escalator, and mid-platform parts of this station.

To get into this design, 'why is there a giant pic of some guy running in his underpants?', well, that pic along with the horses pictured in the band are all Eadweard Muybridge photographs that played an important role in the development of the motion picture. (You can read all about Muybridge on Wikipedia of course.) Now the AGO does have photography in its collection, but is that what it is primarily known for, or what it wants to be known for? (Won't Ryerson's Black Star collection eventually become this city's best known photo colelction?) Wouldn't the AGO rather have the station reference the paintings and sculpture that people already associate with it? (If I were a visitor to Toronto and rode into St Patrick and saw all the Muybridge on the walls, if I understood the tie-in to the AGO I would go there expecting to see primarily a photography gallery.)

So lastly... how much consultation with the AGO, the ROM, the COC, was done by Diamond-Schmitt when these renos were proposed? Have all these station designs been deemed 'on-message'?

To get into this design, 'why is there a giant pic of some guy running in his underpants?', well, that pic along with the horses pictured in the band are all Eadweard Muybridge photographs that played an important role in the development of the motion picture. (You can read all about Muybridge on Wikipedia of course.) Now the AGO does have photography in its collection, but is that what it is primarily known for, or what it wants to be known for? (Won't Ryerson's Black Star collection eventually become this city's best known photo colelction?) Wouldn't the AGO rather have the station reference the paintings and sculpture that people already associate with it? (If I were a visitor to Toronto and rode into St Patrick and saw all the Muybridge on the walls, if I understood the tie-in to the AGO I would go there expecting to see primarily a photography gallery.)

Perhaps the fact that Mary Pickford lived on the corner has something to do with the motion picture connection. There's a plaque around there on University.

Here is the TTC Commissioner Report on Subway Entrances (as gleaned from the extended discussion on Spacing Wire):

TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION

REPORT NO.
MEETING DATE June 13, 2007

SUBJECT RETROFIT OF SUBWAY/SRT OPEN STAIRWAY ENTRANCES

RECOMMENDATION

It is recommended that the Commission approve the proposed locations and Architects to prepare design concepts for existing subway/Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT) open stairway entrances as follows:

(a) Finch Station - Adamson Associates Architects;
(b) Lawrence Station - Zeidler Partnership;
(c) Kennedy Station – Stevens Group Architects Inc.;
(d) Ellesmere Station – Moriyama & Teshima Architects;
(e) Lawrence East Station - Moriyama & Teshima Architects;
(f) Museum - Daniel Libeskind Architects;
(g) St. Patrick – Frank Gehry Architects; and
(h) Osgoode Station – Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc.

FUNDING

No funds were included for these expenditures in the 2007 – 2011 TTC Capital Program as approved by City Council on March 7, 2007; however, the funds required for the invited design concepts and staff time will be accommodated within the current budget for the Station Modernization project (as set out on pages 563 to 566) of the Improvement Category of the TTC’s 2007 – 2011 Capital Program.

If appropriate, costs required to retrofit these locations will be included in the proposed 2008 – 2012 TTC Capital Program request.

BACKGROUND

At its meeting of February 27, 2007, the Commission requested staff to report on opportunities for beautifying the concrete above-ground subway entrances and improving the design of the station entrance signs.

At its meeting of March 21, 2007, the Commission authorized a total expenditure of $50,000 to develop design concepts for the retrofit of eight subway entrances and requested that up to three stations per district be added to the work plan. This report responds to that request.

DISCUSSION

The design of the subway/SRT original stations incorporated open sidewalk entrances which provide station access and egress routes and a source of makeup air for ventilation purposes. The addition of canopies and enhanced finishes will improve the safety, cleanliness and appearance of these open stairway entrances. It is proposed that site‑specific design concepts be developed for the entrances that are compatible with the architectural surroundings of the station. An honourarium of $5,000 per site was previously approved by the Commission for the concept design of each entrance.

It is proposed that these designs be undertaken this year to permit costing and inclusion in the 2008-2012 Capital Program. If the conceptual designs are approved, the detailed design assignments will be awarded through a competitive procurement. The Architects proposed for the recommended locations were selected on the basis of having completed significant building designs in the district, or major subway projects. If approved, the identified Architects will be invited to participate in this process through an invitation issued by the TTC’s Chief General Manager. The recommended locations and Architects are as follows:

North District

There are two stations in the North District having open stairway entrances, which are Finch and Lawrence Stations on the Yonge Line. It is recommended that Adamson Associates Architects be invited to prepare a concept for the entrances at Finch Station as they were the designers of the North York Civic Centre. It is recommended that the Zeidler Partnership be invited to prepare a concept for the entrances at Lawrence Station as they were the Architects for the Ford Centre for the Performing Arts.

East District

It is proposed that the locations of Kennedy, Ellesmere and Lawrence East Stations on the Scarborough Rapid Transit Line be approved. At Kennedy Station, the Stevens Group Architects Inc. is recommended as they have previously designed three subway stations including Downsview, Bayview and Don Mills. For Ellesmere and Lawrence East Stations, which have a similar configuration, it is recommended that the firm of Moriyama & Teshima Architects be invited to provide two concepts. Moriyama & Teshima were the Architects for the Scarborough Civic Centre.

South District

It is proposed that the locations of Museum, St. Patrick and Osgoode Stations on the University Line be approved. The firm of Daniel Libeskind Architects is recommended to provide a concept for the subway entrances on the west side of University Avenue, as they were the designers of the addition to the Royal Ontario Museum. Frank Gehry Architects is recommended to provide a concept for the entrances at St. Patrick Station as they were the Architects of the addition to the Art Gallery of Ontario. The firm of Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc. is recommended for the concept design for the entrances at Osgoode Station, as they were the designers for the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

West District

There is only one subway entrance in the West District with an open stairway entrance and it is located at Kipling Station. As this station is currently scheduled for redevelopment, this location is not recommended. As a result, there are no subway entrances recommended for improvement in the West District.

City staff will be consulted regarding requirements that could affect the conceptual designs prior to proceeding with the work. It is proposed that the concepts for the stairway upgrades be presented at the Commission Meeting in August, 2007.

JUSTIFICATION

Providing improved subway/SRT station sidewalk entrances will improve the appearance, safety and cleanliness of the sidewalk entrances identified and will enhance the urban design environment of the City.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

May 18/07

80-86-1/62

AoD

(a) Finch Station - Adamson Associates Architects;
(b) Lawrence Station - Zeidler Partnership;
(c) Kennedy Station – Stevens Group Architects Inc.;
(d) Ellesmere Station – Moriyama & Teshima Architects;
(e) Lawrence East Station - Moriyama & Teshima Architects;
(f) Museum - Daniel Libeskind Architects;
(g) St. Patrick – Frank Gehry Architects; and
(h) Osgoode Station – Diamond + Schmitt Architects Inc.

Very encouraging! :)

It's a list of prominent architects (I think architectsAlliance, KPMB and Will Alsop should also be on the list, given their prominence on the Toronto architecture scene). I wonder how many of them will respond and offer a proposal.

Alternatively, the TTC could consider starting a design competition to find a good "one size fits all" solution to rebuilding Toronto's subway entrances. The design should fit the TTC budget (which means the design could incorporate cost-saving measures such as prefabrication and energy-saving features such as use of solar panels), be easily maintainable, looks beautiful and iconic (like the Guimard entrances of Paris). If Libeskind or Gehry won such a competition, every neighbourhood located on a subway line could potentially see a little piece of "celebrity architecture".

I wonder why Ellesmere is on that list. Given the low usage of the station, perhaps what's needed more is a set of stairs/elevators connecting the platform with the Ellesmere overpass on top of the station.

I agree with Wylie... a one size fits all design should be implemented. There should be a unified marker that this is a TTC Subway entrance. A sign alone should not be the indicator.

The TTC should also insist that their logo play a larger part in the design than the current small sign on a pole next to the entrance. I would like to see a larger TTC logo, back-lit, given a place of prominance in the new entrance designs.

If you read through the TTC's report though, you'll see that these retrofits are to be erected solely at stations with open stairways. Only a small number of stations have these, so a one size fits all approach would still not give unity to the whole system.

I'd like to see signage standardized, but I prefer my buildings uniqueifized.

Globe

Link to article

The once and future Museum station
A bold new plan for ROM's subway stop has some Torontonians wistfully clinging to the TTC's once-despised 'washroom stations'

ALEX BOZIKOVIC

August 4, 2007

This week, Museum subway station was getting a gut renovation. A few passengers waited around one morning under a bare concrete ceiling and columns on the platform had been chipped away to reveal steel I-beams underneath.

But the Toronto Transit Commission's contractors aren't doing a typical repair job on the station's 1960s yellow-and-blue tile. The platform is being redesigned by Diamond + Schmitt Architects into a hall inspired by classical architecture, with the columns transformed into artifacts from the nearby Royal Ontario Museum. "Since we've proceeded with this so-called cultural renaissance, it would be great to have a résumé of the institutions as you ride through them," architect Jack Diamond says. "For Museum station, the idea was that there are these very boring structures - so we would take castings of some of the better artifacts and wrap them around the columns.

"Really, these are caryatids," he adds, referring to a form of classical statuary that supports a structure. "The Greeks got there first."

For a subway station in middle age, this is heady stuff. And as the TTC launches a broad renovation program over the next year, this sort of creative redesign could set the tone for how the stations will look a generation from now: replacing the modernist history of the TTC with new designs that combine art and neighbourhood character.

The idea came from an unexpected corner. In 2005, a philanthropic group called the Toronto Community Foundation held public consultations on improving transit and public space. "People thought of these TTC stations as public space, and also that these stations didn't accurately reflect the vitality of the city in their state of decay," recalls the foundation's chief executive officer, Rahul Bhardwaj, whose group connects private donors with various charitable and public-sector causes. "This was a way of addressing that."

So the foundation invited Diamond + Schmitt to bring cultural components to three stations on the University line: Museum, St. Patrick and Osgoode, drawing on the ROM, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. "On the one hand, it'll support tourism," Mr. Bhardwaj argues. The Museum project, now under construction with the TCF covering three-quarters of the capital cost, will "improve the experience" of visiting the museum.

And TTC chair Adam Giambrone is paying close attention to how it comes together. The commission recently announced its $275-million Station Modernization Program, which will remake nine stations on the Bloor-Danforth line over five years. Much of the money will go to structural changes and accessibility, but perhaps $25-million will go to "aesthetic changes" in the stations. "Some stations are going to conform to certain themes," he says. Pape station, when modernized, "is going to have artwork inspired by the Greek heritage of the area." Old Mill station, with its view of the Humber, will get new public art that speaks to Toronto's early French heritage.

But according to designer and transit advocate Matthew Blackett, the TTC's efforts could destroy an important piece of the city's design history. When it comes to Museum station, built in 1963, "we can afford to lose one station. But if you did a whole chunk of the Bloor-Danforth line, that would be a loss,"says Mr. Blackett, who knows first-hand the power of the TTC's graphic identity: Spacing magazine, where he is publisher, has sold 75,000 subway- station buttons.

Heritage architect Michael McClelland echoes that concern. He points to the design of the original Yonge Street subway line; when it opened in 1954 between Union Station and Eglinton, its stations had consistent architecture, including colour-co-ordinated Vitrolite glass tile and signage in the TTC's custom typeface. Those features had "iconic value," Mr. McClelland says. But in the late 1970s and 1980s, the TTC replaced them, in several cases using alarming, now-dated shades of ceramic tile. Now, the TTC "have lost their branding," he adds. "In other cities, it's much easier to look at the subway and know which city you're in, and the TTC has lost that coherence."

Mr. Diamond - whose firm created concepts for Osgoode and St. Andrew but has not yet got the job to execute them - dismisses that idea. "There are two ways to go," he argues. "If you have a remarkable design, like the art nouveau Paris Metro or the London Underground - and you happen to be building a subway in that period - then by all means keep it all the same. Or, you can give a different impression at each station of the subway, whether Bay Street or Bayview, that gives an impression of what's happening above ground." (Mr. Diamond describes the Bloor-Danforth line as "English Canada's poor attempt to imitate the London Underground.")

And Mr. Giambrone says - especially after decades of different station designs and "one-off" repairs - that it would be impossible to make the whole system look the same. "We have a 35-year capital program," he says. "There are a lot of stations still to go."

He argues that having subway platforms reflect their neighbourhood, at the current moment, makes the most sense. "Stations become commentary on the era in which they're written," he says.

The commission will follow the design ideas of the Sheppard subway line when it comes to signage and incorporating public art "across the entire station."

Mr. Giambrone says it's important to insulate design from political interference. He cites a TTC legend about how when the Yonge line was constructed, the commission's initial plans were dismissed as too ornate to be politically viable. "And that's how we got these washroom stations," he says, referring to the spare designs of the Yonge line.

But Mr. McClelland has heard subway stations described as a "bathroom style" before, and he says it reflects a lack of attention to the stations' original design. "People tend to look at things 40 or 50 years old as not having any historical value, and I think that's unfortunate," he says. "I think the TTC, and the city more generally, should look at things of that period very carefully. Just lately there's been a groundswell of really interesting things - the drive to preserve the Sam the Record Man signs, for instance, and that's a much more radical form of preservation."

In fact, Mr. Giambrone says the Bloor-Danforth line, opened in 1963 and 1966 with a largely consistent design scheme, may get looked at in a decade when the commission rethinks its capital plans. "In some cases, it might be appropriate to do a heritage renovation for stations that reflect the moment in history of the original Bloor-Danforth line."

On that score, Mr. McClelland adds a word of caution: "The TTC should realize that the stations are a major part of public space. And change to a major part of public space is very different from interior decoration."

I'm looking forward to this, but don't people think that if a senior member of Mel Lastman's campaign team got this many city contracts in his era, people would make a bit more of a fuss?

Now, the TTC "have lost their branding," he adds. "In other cities, it's much easier to look at the subway and know which city you're in, and the TTC has lost that coherence."

So true. Often when I'm in the subway, I look around and wonder "Am I in Atlanta?"

So true. Often when I'm in the subway, I look around and wonder "Am I in Atlanta?"

Have you been on MARTA? Let me tell youI rode MARTA, and the TTC is no MARTA.

I'm looking forward to this, but don't people think that if a senior member of Mel Lastman's campaign team got this many city contracts in his era, people would make a bit more of a fuss?

You're talking about Diamond? I agree with you on this point, it doesn't send the right message, even though TEDCO is supposedly arms-length. If Diamond did Osgoode, it might make more sense. But Museum?

Back