News   Jul 12, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

In terms of a "big box" format I actually think this is a model that should be replicated else where (if big box stores are going to be built), large format stores located on the second level to allow for a smaller scale/ rhythm of storefronts at grade , has more of a pedestrian friendly scale than traditional big box stores, parking structures as opposed to open lots, I think if the right materials are used this could be a very nice addition to the area.

Great - I've been aching for another huge car-oriented development to make traffic at St. Clair and Keele even crazier - and here it is! My mews have been answered!

AreaResident;467879 Video [url said:
http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/464[/url]
Who edited that video? Leni Riefenstahl? Have they reserected her for consumerism propaganda?

But seriously, seems like a positive development for a bleak area. I like the lack of surface parking lots which is a pleasant change.

Not too shabby! Reminds one of the new Don Mills, except this has better transit access and hidden parking.

Great - I've been aching for another huge car-oriented development to make traffic at St. Clair and Keele even crazier - and here it is! My mews have been answered!

And yet, it's clear that the developer has designed the complex to be pedestrian- and transit-friendly with the storefronts along St. Clair and arranging all other retail along those internal roads, which break up the block in a way that's quite functional for anyone on foot or bike. It's an amazing development when compared to the dismal urban form of the Home Depot across the street, where the person stepping off the streetcar to go to the store across from the stop must walk several hundred metres to the entrance located on the opposite side of the building and through a parking lot exit without so much as a sidewalk.

The whole development looks quite impressive and promising. Yes, it has a lot of parking, though it's apparently on the low-end of the city's minimum parking requirement and it's inside the complex. This is one of the most sophisticated big-box developments I've ever seen, and now I'm wishing it had some residential. There's plenty of opportunities for that in the area, though. The Home Depot might redevelop their aging store with a new store and mixed-use residential/commercial lining St. Clair in the spirit of the avenue study which is just being completed.

If all big box retail were done with this much thought, it wouldn't be nearly as offensive as it is. This is a strong step in the right direction.

It seems that the hoarding (boarding) has started on the site "30 Weston Rd" and Signage to start immediately afterwards.

The link below is where the Avenue Study presentation will be placed online, which it has not yet been uploaded from the November 24, 2010 meeting.
During the meeting a gentlemen brought up the point about the Home Depot lands and to incorporate the residential into the plan
and their was no one who objected to it. I beleive there will be some minor variances to the presentation put on line and the final
one with this latest comments brought up during this meeting.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/stclair_keeleweston.htm

Thanks.

After watching the video I really like this development. Really cool!

I loved "Mine West" and "Borders & Noble" and "Banana Replica" hahaha.

It would have made more sense from a long term urban planning perspective if they were to move all the existing Stockyard big boxes to this development. Then redevelop the existing Stockyard big box plaza into an urban condo/work/retail development.

But no matter what they do (even with that Goodlife dangling in front of my face), I still hate this development as it will really threaten the survival of the Junction and perhaps even Bloor West Village.

30 Weston Rd

I really truely believe this development is great for the area and will really cleanup the area in a good way.
Of course there could be more done on the land where the big box are located today like Home Depot etc..
but this is a good start. There could be a lot more happening on the big box land once the Avenue Study
is completed since it leaves a lot more options and redesign for this open land and redirects traffic off
St.Clair as well.

I do not believe this will impact Bloor West Village in any way at all.

Thanks.

It would have made more sense from a long term urban planning perspective if they were to move all the existing Stockyard big boxes to this development. Then redevelop the existing Stockyard big box plaza into an urban condo/work/retail development.

But no matter what they do (even with that Goodlife dangling in front of my face), I still hate this development as it will really threaten the survival of the Junction and perhaps even Bloor West Village.

It certainly doesn't threaten the survival of the Junction. The businesses on Dundas serve different market segments than the mainstream retailers which will come to this development. Those selling the same stuff in the Junction's more traditional retail areas have proven resilient: the Junction retains two small hardware stores on Dundas and Annette despite the presence of Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire and Walmart nearby. Let's not forget that this is the northern part of the Junction, and it should develop into a walkable, dense area over time. Bloor West Village has the subway and an affluent population within walking distance. It'll do fine. I can see some malls being affected, though.

The existing Stock Yards plazas can still be redeveloped, and probably will be in time. Home Depot, for instance, could build a new store on the southern part of their site, allowing mixed-use development to front St. Clair.

Back