News   Jul 12, 2024
 869     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 778     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

Great another BIG BOX OUTLET. Just a different version. The local councillor approves of this development, see link:

http://swra.wordpress.com/2008/01/1...atus-quo-at-st-clair-and-weston/#comment-1147

Did anyone notice that I wrote this blog article? It's not my blog, though. My article echoes the Urban Toronto attitude of urban, transit and pedestrian oriented development. I forwarded it to the local councillor, Francs Nunziata, though I didn't even get a reply.

There should be midrise condominiums built along the major streets St. Clair and Keele/Weston with the proposed retail at the bottom. It's sad that a developer is fighting at the OMB to build a condo beside railroad tracks and the large NRI rubber factory just several hundred metres from this property. That's quite an undesirable location that will most likely lead to the closure of that industry, yet in a zone ripe for intensification beside a streetcar line, these mediocre suburban proposals are submitted and taken seriously. This is probably a matter of poor planning, not a lack of market justification for intensification.

As for the Old Stock Yards area, it's a very funky mix of urbanity and cheap suburban development. There are so many failures in urban planning, but seemingly random noticeable successes. Take the Tribute subdivision beside the streetcar loop for instance. It breaks the suburban rules. The front facades of homes actually face the major street, St. Clair, rather than lining it with wooden backyard fences. It's false historic architecture, but there's no bizarre double garage in that false historic facade. (I find the whole false Victorian with double garage architecture rather mindless.) Garages face laneways behind the houses, and there's a proper grid. The streets are narrow too. The McDonald's at Keele and St. Clair has a drive-through, but at the actual intersection there's a patio built. The Swiss Chalet and Harvey's actually front the street. Of course, the area is nonetheless more suburban than urban, but it's still interesting and hardly boring.

Aesthetically there are the successes of Old Stock Yards Road. Here, the street is lined with healthy green trees which were densely planted. The utilities are buried and the streetlamps are the classic style, making it a very nice stretch of street. The Rona even has some public art for some reason on it's walls. Perhaps the reason for that was the loss of the historic CPR roundhouse.

Historically, the area has been part of the Junction. If you look at old maps, it's apparent. The history books on West Toronto Junction have sections devoted to this area, which was once a key part of the industrial community. In fact, even in the 1980s, planning documents discussed how important this area was to Toronto's economy. It was observed to be second in industrial jobs only to the Portlands and home to 4000 businesses. By the mid 1990s, most of that disappeared, and the suburban style developments began to be built.

But there are still small pockets of the past here and there. Glen Scarlett Road as mentioned above is a dirty road with some nasty meat industry operations still active. I once saw a dump truck of animal parts roll down Keele from St. Clair. That Glen Scarlett area (map) was what I was talking about when adma suggested the vacant Symes Transfer Station as a residential conversion in this thread. I noted that the area around it was an "industrial wasteland".

^ Same here. I wonder if the availability of cultured beef/ham/chicken will result in a reduction in the number of vegetarians, once the ethical objections to eating meat have been effectively eliminated.

within a certain distance of that area, on a warm day with the right wind direction, the air smelled like rotten hot dogs or dirty penis. actually, those descriptions are an understatement. you can't really pinpoint the type of stench it was but it was nasty.

there was also a chute on gunns road where spinal chords, brains, intestines, etc. slide down into a open roof trailer and many, many birds would dive in for a treat.

that area looks like animal hell. can't wait for stem cell meat grown in long trays.

"yes, can i have 5 sheets of medium density beef"

homer%20drool

There should be midrise condominiums built along the major streets St. Clair and Keele/Weston with the proposed retail at the bottom.

Could still happen. One thing I'm wondering is--in terms of years, how much (or little) life can a power centre have? Perhaps my relative "taxpayer" lenience t/w banal single-storey main-street LCBOs can be applied here.

Come to think of it, re my earlier Symes Transfer Station conversion suggestion (and the Dave LeBlanc article that emanated from it): why, oh why, didn't I or anyone offer that south stockyards-zone building with the concrete ramps as a creative conversion candidate of some sort...

That is an interesting industrial building from the 1960s, which is now home to some small businesses, and artists. I don't know how many artists use the space, but I have seen musicians rehearsing there. It's called the Keele Centre, and it doesn't help anyone that it shares its name with the Federal halfway house near Keele and Annette.

I see that some demolition is going on at the northwest corner of St. Clair Avenue West and Keele.

Is it still Trinity doing the development (see http://www.trinity-group.com/?q=node/432)?

Could be worse. Could have these architects doing the designs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PyeXRwhCE

The demolition started back in April if I remember correctly.

This whole intersection is a mess and only going to get worse.

Wait until next year when the construction starts on the ROW as well the bridge. Then you got the reconstruction of St Clair to come west of the loop.

Residential should be on 4 sides of this property with retail below as noted with a driveway into the centre underground garage with green space above it.

Very little thought went into that housing complex across the street to the point it in the rail corridor and they are not going to be happy with 4 set of tracks beside them.

I see that some demolition is going on at the northwest corner of St. Clair Avenue West and Keele.

Is it still Trinity doing the development (see http://www.trinity-group.com/?q=node/432)?

Could be worse. Could have these architects doing the designs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PyeXRwhCE

That's an old proposal which has been changed significantly. St. Clair is now supposed to be lined with storefronts, and there is to be a north/south private street going through the middle, which is planned to be lined with two storeys of retail. There's also an east/west street which will allow a link between the two recently built subdivisions. There's no longer any residential planned.

That's an old proposal which has been changed significantly. St. Clair is now supposed to be lined with storefronts, and there is to be a north/south private street going through the middle, which is planned to be lined with two storeys of retail. There's also an east/west street which will allow a link between the two recently built subdivisions. There's no longer any residential planned.

Are there any planning reports that we can see?

Well, it's late Sept, 2010 and the site has been demo'd for several months. It's now turning into a green space with overgrown grass, weeds and even some trees seem to be on the verge of maturing. I bought a property in the neighborhood knowing of this plan, expecting noticeable preperty value increase. It seems my investment may be for a longer time than expected.

While I agree that Big Box is boring and unorginal, having lived in this area for 16 months now, I know that we need something. There is vritually no retail, no restaurants and very little shopping (to far West for good St. Clair W shopping). If you want to get on the 401 or need your car fixed, this is the place to be though.

St.Clair Mall New Site Plan /Some Tenants and Video

Site Plan and Some Tenants

http://www.trinity-group.com/?q=node/432

Video

http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/464

About UsProperty PortfolioIn the NewsContact UsProfileManagement TeamUnder DevelopmentExisting PropertiesDeveloped & SoldArticlesContact Information
Home Search Client Sign-in Site Map
New Properties - Urban Centres
THE STOCKYARDS, Toronto ON

Northwest Corner of Weston Road & St. Clair Avenue W.

SIZE
650,000 s.f.

TRADE AREA
186,500 population in primary trade area.

447,100 population within 5 kilometers.
OPENING
Fall 2012

LOCATION MAP
Click for larger image

VIDEO

Click to view video.

Ground Level
TENANTS
1.Royal Bank
2.PetSmart
3.Linen Chest