News   Jul 16, 2024
 543     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

State of the big chain grocery stores

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know there are a few old threads about various grocery stores, but this is kind of a new discussion.

We've got farmer's markets, speciality stores, fruit stands and foreign chains like Wal-Mart and Costco available to us, but I think the overwhelming majority of the city still visits one the big three chains (or their affiliates) on a regular basis.

Has anyone else noticed an overall decline in quality, selection and service at the grocery stores in the city? Constantly unstocked shelves (especially for sale items), rude or incompetent staff, long checkout lines, dirty stores and terrible layouts are the norm, not the exception. Brand selections are also very limited, often with stores carrying only their house brand and one other. Sometimes the problems are specific to a department.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule, which is another part of the problem. Our stores are all franchises and these issues are a symptom of terrible management. I've lived in five different neighbourhoods in the city and have tried the local stores in all of them. Some stores are clearly better than others, though none have ever wowed me.

My current local No Frills is on St.Clair, near Oakwood. This store is mess! It is home to several families of sparrows. I'm not sure what they do with the produce at night, but the birds must eat it, which makes me wonder where they poop afterwards? The staff are rude and lazy. They seem to think it's more about socializing than working. Recently, at the checkout someone walked up to the front and yells out "Guess what.... I'm on my break!" and all the checkout clerks stopped what they were doing and started yapping. One time the stcokboy was called out on the intercom. His response, yelled as loud as he could was "I'm right here! What the f*** do you want? The produce and meat are okay quality, which is what I expect from a place advertising "No Frills", but they are very slow to restock when they run out. You can forget about ever finding sale items unless you shop within a few hours of the store opening.

My local Loblaws (St. Clair and Bathurst) seems to have a much better staff and a much cleaner store. Their produce and meat are usually well stocked, but not the rest of the store. I frequently find the shelves almost barren, like a hurricane is coming and everyone has desperately bought everything in sight, even the last tin of Creamed Eel and bag of Hurricane Chow. I found the same problem with the Loblwas at Dundas and Bloor.

I wont even step into a Dominion anywhere anymore! They are universally terrible!

My only Sobeys experience is a Sobeys express which was very cramped and very expensive!

Does anyone else think are grocery stores suck?
Anyone have tips on which other stores in the city are good or bad?

The No Frills at Gerrard and Carlaw is usually nice, clean and with prompt service and lots of free parking. I rarely go to my local No Frills on Parliament St. as it's dirty, worn and populated by some of the worst staff and filthiest, trailer'esque patrons I've ever encountered.

I rarely go to my local No Frills on Parliament St. as it's dirty, worn and populated by some of the worst staff and filthiest, trailer'esque patrons I've ever encountered.

Give me a break. Those people live in your neighborhood. You don't have to invite them over for dinner.

It's a No Frills on Parliament. It's pretty much as expected, and I've never had any problems there.

No Frills are pretty universally gross, and Loblaws is much better. I'm sad as hell my local Loblaws is in the midst of becoming a No Frills. There goes the neighborhood.

The more recent Loblaws conversions are some of the nicer No Frills around.

As CDL pointed out to me, there are three tiers of No Frills. There's the Loblaws-lite stores, which are very clean and have reasonable service (and enough checkouts open). The second tier are the Loblaws conversions from the 1980s and 1990s which are big, relatively clean and okay. The final tier are the small No Frills that are pretty crappy for selection and service - Parliament seems to be one of these.

Price Chopper (Sobey's) is the bottom of the barrel, though Food Basics (Metro/A&P) isn't great either.

I totally feel the same about the decline in the basic store brands, though the main brands are usually not franchised. Dominion is the closest chain to me, and I've grown to hate the store. Poor staff levels with long checkout lines, horrible inventory, even on non-sale basics, and higher prices (and less decent sales) make me take the car and drive to - get this - No Frills. At least the PC brand is usually pretty good compared to the Sobey's (Our Compliments) or Metro (Masters Choice/Equality) brands.

I think that (not very) deep down, the Admiral's heart lies in suburbia.
No, I'm a hardcore downtowner. I wouldn't raise my kids anywhere else. I even gave up a peaceful, whitebread life in Fredericton to come back to my place in Cabbagetown. That doesn't mean I have to shop in dirty locales with poor products, with beggars out front and rude, slow staff within.

There are plenty of very nice shops in Cabbagetown that I frequent, such as the grocer next to the old Javaville, Home Hardware, Netleships (sp?), the epicury shop on Parliament is great for fresh breads and cheeses, Menagerie is the best pet shop in the city, just about every restaurant on the strip now, plus of course Tims.

I always love it when folks here will see one sentence in my posts and pull it out for complaint while ignoring the overall post. I don't mind, so keep it up.

No Frills are pretty universally gross, and Loblaws is much better. I'm sad as hell my local Loblaws is in the midst of becoming a No Frills. There goes the neighborhood.
I think you'll find that the No Frills on Gerrard and Carlaw (not to be confused with the old junker No Frills at Coxwell and Gerrard) is quite nice.

Okay I shouldn't have said "universally" gross. I should say the one at Creditview & Bristol is pretty gross. Which is just one No Frills, I suppose.

The No Frills on Carlaw & Gerrard is a step up from the 'saw dust on the floor' Knob Hill Farms that was there prior. I agree, most chain supermarkets have gone down hill recently. I used to frequent the Loblaws in Leaside, but now that place is a dump and the one on Lakeshore & Leslie is very confusing. Avoid Food Basics at Gerrard Sq at all costs, is it me but the place smells like fish gone bad. I think people who work at these stores hate their jobs and it shows. My favourite is Highland Farms on Ellesmere & Birchmount. I usually go during a week day when its not so busy. I find it clean, orderly, the produce fresh and courteous staff, if you can handle the European attitude. Too bad I only get to go there about once a month.

You haven't truly experienced poor quality grocery shopping until you've visited a Price Chopper or Save Easy in the Maritimes, especially in a small rural town. You get the combo of rotten, poor quality produce, poor variety and selection of foods, and general glacially-slow customer service usual in 'dem parts.

I usually go to Chinatown these days for my vegetables and fruits, can't beat the prices and the quality's pretty decent... T&T is an awesome up and comer location as well..

For meats, I avoid Chinatown at all costs, typically head to Dominion for those..

Loblaws I try to avoid as much as possible.. I don't like any part of their chain really... Valumart's too dumpy, Loblaw Markets are too big-box-in-an-urban-setting, and Superstores are just.. .horrible.

At least Dominion and Sobeys have done a decent job adapting their urban stores to its surroundings.

Back