News   Jul 30, 2024
 484     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 543     1 

Stash the trash: Takeout coffe cup deposit at Tim Hortons et al?

Following up the Tim Turd idea (another brilliant phrase) what confuses me is we've got pretty much every dog owner to poop 'n' scoop. You simply don't see dog owners letting their dogs take a crap on the sidewalk and then walking away. There's laws, there's huge social shaming, etc. Some how we can't communicate to Tim Hortons piggies and others to do retain their trash. I mean picking up dog crap (and carrying it) is a helluva lot less pleasant than throwing your used takeout cup in your backpack and tossing it at the next bus stop.

If those Tim Hortons piggies have dogs, they can use their cups to scoop up crap with it and dump it in a public washroom.

Never mind the Timmy cups for a moment. Now that the snow has melted, has anyone else noticed the huge numbers of cigarette butts lining the sidewalks?

It's disgusting.

Never mind the Timmy cups for a moment. Now that the snow has melted, has anyone else noticed the huge numbers of cigarette butts lining the sidewalks?

It's disgusting.

All the more reason to ban them. If people can't smoke pot freely, why is cigarette smoking welcome? It's far worse for your health than the former, but of course, since the tobacco industry is one of the most lucrative businesses in the world we'll never see that. At least ban gum. Aspartame is toxic and it's in every single brand of gum. You're better off sucking on some Mentos or Certs. It's amazing what the government allows all for the sake of fucking money. As if it's the answer to our problems and concerns. "Even the wealthiest person is a pauper at times."

Last edited:

It's disgusting.
Yes - absolutely disgusting. What is wrong with smokers that they think they can litter the way they do!

No different than coffee drinkers. I picked up at least 5 Tim horton cups off my lawn today and an Arby's cup. There isn't a single Arby's within walking distence aroumd me, so it was thrown out a car window. People are pigs!! i was in Chapters the other day, and someone left an empty starbucks cup on the book shelf, can't people walk the 5 feet to the trash can? i would hate to see what the inside of their houses/ condos must look like

I'm amused to note that walking around today, by far the most cigarette butts I noticed was outside the Toronto Sun building.

The problem is the really the disposable containers for food/drink. And it's mostly the fast food establishments. The city either needs to ban disposable containers or ban fast food restaurants, or both. Create less opportunities for people to litter, and there will be less litter. But even if people disposed of this garbage properly, it is still a huge burden for the city and the environment, as plastic bags are. Litter or not, it makes sense to ban fast food and disposable containers, if not for fiscal and environmental reasons, then for health reasons as well..

Btw, I was just joking about youth curfew because of the ridiculous of John Revolta's posts

I would rather see the police shoot and kill people that litter than banning restaurants and cafes. I have empty cups in my car all the time, i wait till i get home or wait till i find a garbage can to get rid of them, its not the end of the world

All the more reason to ban them. If people can't smoke pot freely, why is cigarette smoking welcome? It's far worse for your health than the former, but of course, since the tobacco industry is one of the most lucrative businesses in the world we'll never see that. At least ban gum. Aspartame is toxic and it's in every single brand of gum. You're better off sucking on some Mentos or Certs. It's amazing what the government allows all for the sake of fucking money. As if it's the answer to our problems and concerns. "Even the wealthiest person is a pauper at times."

If you smoke similar quantities, pot is much worse than cigarettes... but very few smoke a pack of pot per day.

Aspartame is toxic? I must have missed the headlines...

I'm amused to note that walking around today, by far the most cigarette butts I noticed was outside the Toronto Sun building.

I was walking along Bloor and noticed the new stone sidewalks and planters loaded up with butts. Don't people who smoke even take notice of the mess they leave behind as they casually toss their trash onto the ground?

The buzz smokers get from puffing renders some of them temporarily oblivious to the mess of butts. That's no excuse at all, but littering bylaws should apply to this lazy habit some day too.

Back