Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Crime/article/518296

Why so many murders in Peel?

Oct 16, 2008 04:30 AM
Robyn Doolittle
Bob Mitchell
Staff Reporters

In the wake of the deaths of four young men on the suburban streets of Mississauga and Brampton since Saturday, community leaders are warning of a potential explosion of youth violence in Peel Region.

They say the window of opportunity to gain control of the problem is rapidly closing as Peel's total homicide tally reached a record 24 on Tuesday.

"There's a tremendous feeling of urgency amongst the leaders in this community and among youth and their families that we need to fix this," said Shelley White, the CEO of United Way of Peel Region.

"When you've got 30,000 new people coming into your community every year and a third of those are youth, and we don't have the capacity to provide the services (and) they're not getting the support they need, something is going to break and this is the tragedy," she said.

This morning, Chief Mike Metcalf will appear before Peel regional council in Brampton to give an overview of this year's homicides.

His visit was announced last week, when there were 20, but now he'll have to include the four unsolved slayings since Saturday, including Tuesday's stabbing death of 14-year-old Ravi Dharamdial as he walked home from school.

Although councillors are hoping to learn why the spike in deadly crime is occurring in record numbers across Peel Region, Metcalf says he doesn't have all the answers.

"I wish there was a pattern, but they're all over the board," he said. "I wish I had an answer as to why this is happening."

Tony da Silva, a trustee with the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board, says the major fear is that as Peel gets larger and larger, urban issues such as guns, gangs and drugs are moving into the region.

"We want to address those early so they don't become larger issues, like some of the troubled communities in Toronto are having to deal with," he said.

Both da Silva and White sit on the Peel Youth Violence Prevention Committee, which is made of council members, police officers, public health officials and other community stakeholders.

"We have four working groups underway that are working on very specific strategies in our communities to create more capacity to support youth," White said.

But what it really comes down to is money, and Peel Region just doesn't have enough of it to accommodate the growth.

"We need partners. We need funding partners. We need all orders of government to work with the community," said White.

"If there's no serious investment and commitment to work with Peel, to build (the infrastructure), it may continue to lead to this serious kind of violence."

When Raymond Caldeira moved to Brampton from Port Credit 15 years ago, he was looking for the quiet, family sitcom-style life.

"Brampton used to be a really nice place. Now it's just overpopulated big time," he said.

"It doesn't matter where you move. You can't shop. You can't park. You can't do anything. Everybody is just very inconsiderate – pushing and shoving."

Over the past five years, Brampton's population has swollen by 33 per cent. It's a similar story in Mississauga.

Of Peel's current population – 1.2 million – about 10 per cent live in poverty, said White.

With poverty comes crime.

On Tuesday, Dharamdial was stabbed to death just a block from Caldeira's home. The teen made a frantic 911 call as he was bleeding to death.

It was the 24th homicide of the year, well above Peel's previous record of 17, reached in 2003.

Caldeira's picket-fenced neighbourhood no longer feels safe, he says.

"Jane and Finch, we're getting all the overflow from that side," he said. "I believe that everyone deserves to own a home, but I think (the crime spike) has a lot to do with bringing low-income housing into the area, without any other infrastructure."

Mississauga Councillor Katie Mahoney, who also sits on the youth violence prevention committee, says all levels of government need to step up and help Peel solve the problem.

"This can't be all on the property taxpayer's back," she said.

"We're reaching a point where, if we don't grab a handle on this, and all of the agencies and government don't get together for an all-out concentrated effort, the problem is going to grow."

As a Scarberian (a resident of Scarborough, not khatru), I wonder if Mississauga and Brampton (or parts of the two cities) have now become the new Scarborough. Either they have become havens for murder, or they are now being unfairly portrayed as crime-ridden areas, like Scarborough has.

Is it time we see parts of Mississauga and Brampton as part of Toronto's "inner suburbs", complete with the same inner suburban problems that Scarborough, Jane & Finch or Rexdale face?

People complaining size and overpopulation obviously don't realize that Malton has had a lot of these murders, yet it is not growing and it is quite small and isolated from the rest of the GTA. No other neighbourhood in the GTA has had as many homicides as Malton so far in 2008. So somehow I don't think population increase has much to do with it.

Is it time we see parts of Mississauga and Brampton as part of Toronto's "inner suburbs", complete with the same inner suburban problems that Scarborough, Jane & Finch or Rexdale face?

Not all inner suburban areas have major poverty and crime issues. Neighbourhoods like Cooksville and Malton are inner suburban, doesn't matter how much crime they have.

Wow, that article is filled with all kinds of generalizations.

Saskatchewan has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country but has a very low-density population, so "over-population" is not a cause.

With poverty comes crime.

In other words, no more poor people in Peel, please.

People complaining size and overpopulation obviously don't realize that Malton has had a lot of these murders, yet it is not growing and it is quite small and isolated from the rest of the GTA. No other neighbourhood in the GTA has had as many homicides as Malton so far in 2008. So somehow I don't think population increase has much to do with it.

I understand what you are saying but if there are social issues in Malton but growth in other areas stretches Peels ability to address those the end result could be that growth indirectly contributes to any issues that are in Malton....no?

Wow, that article is filled with all kinds of generalizations.

Saskatchewan has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country but has a very low-density population, so "over-population" is not a cause.

In other words, no more poor people in Peel, please.

No more Saskatchewaners!

I understand what you are saying but if there are social issues in Malton but growth in other areas stretches Peels ability to address those the end result could be that growth indirectly contributes to any issues that are in Malton....no?

That is an issue of funding, not population growth. Which means the province has to step in. It was not Peel's decision to take away funding for social housing, for example.

Most of population growth in Peel is from immigration, and most immigrants are South Asian. So people who simply blame crime on population growth remind me of extreme right-wing European politicians like Jorg Haider.

I suspect this is part of the natural evolution of demographic patterns in the city. I mentioned this in a post a long time ago. Looking at details might yeild some points of interest, but on a macro scale it is inevitable that the inner city suburban tracts will shift outward into the 905 over time as the city grows. This means Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, Pickering etc. will likely all see rising crime statistics as those in the City of Toronto continue to fall. Governments of all these cities should be aware of this and prepare for the future because I suspect that many of the councillors continue to operate under the philosophy that crime and poverty are Toronto problems because people like that "don't live here".

I suspect this is part of the natural evolution of demographic patterns in the city. I mentioned this in a post a long time ago. Looking at details might yeild some points of interest, but on a macro scale it is inevitable that the inner city suburban tracts will shift outward into the 905 over time as the city grows. This means Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, Pickering etc. will likely all see rising crime statistics as those in the City of Toronto continue to fall. Governments of all these cities should be aware of this and prepare for the future because I suspect that many of the councillors continue to operate under the philosophy that crime and poverty are Toronto problems because people like that "don't live here".

I can see there being an element of truth to that if you stretch it, but in general I think that's too much of a generalization. Most cities have the opposite trend: Crime in the city increases as more people move out to the burbs to get away. Of course that isn't happening here, and people are moving out to the burbs mostly because of lower housing values than anything else. However, I agree that more than anything else it is not helped by the lack of funding. I've heard stories that immigrants moving out into Mississauga and Brampton have a much tougher time because there are much fewer service, and municipalities got the shaft in regards to raising revenue. You can only hike property taxes so much to pay for service before people start to leave.

You know this thread is going to be become a political correct board,no one is going to say its a certain minority group that is causing the problems in Peel.

Obviously, this discussion is totally meaningless without murder rates, but the total murder tally has reached record highs because of population growth...more people equals more murders, but rapid population growth also means lots of young people, and young people kill each other more often.

Obviously, this discussion is totally meaningless without murder rates, but the total murder tally has reached record highs because of population growth...more people equals more murders, but rapid population growth also means lots of young people, and young people kill each other more often.

I don't think it's just an issue of population growth. The actual rate isn't that far off Toronto's now.

I don't think it's just an issue of population growth. The actual rate isn't that far off Toronto's now.

Population growth is quite clearly responsible for the record homicide tally in Peel. Having murder rate stats would be more useful but even then they're not particularly relevant; we're dealing with so few murders that even one double homicide could give the impression of explosive crime growth. Malton had one murder last year and 6 so far this year...it's astronomically unlikely that demographic change or government funding or *anything* else has had more of an impact than pure random chance. Maybe there's been only 10% more stabbings but if most those stabbings were more lethal (we're dealing with millimetres) than Malton would seem to be decaying due to a miasma of inner suburbanism when, of course, it's not...not unless next year sees 12 murders and 20 in the year following that.

Back