News   Aug 07, 2024
 502     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 404     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 318     0 

Star: What Does Frank Gehry have his eye on this time? (University Health Network?)

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
don't know if this should be in the projects section just yet....a possible new Gehry project...

What does Frank Gehry have his eye on this time?
TheStar.com - GTA - What does Frank Gehry have his eye on this time?

May 12, 2008
Christopher Hume

We'll have to wait to see what happens, but word is out that Toronto-born superstar architect Frank Gehry was in town recently to talk about a new project in this city.

No, it's not another Art Gallery of Ontario rebuild; this one is said to be an eye institute.

Though discussions are at the earliest stages, the idea is that Gehry would design a research facility somewhere in the downtown core. The institute is a joint project of the University of Toronto and the University Health Network, which administers the Toronto General, Princess Margaret and Toronto Western hospitals.

Gehry and his family left Toronto in 1947 to move to Los Angeles, where he still lives and works. He has been in practice for years, but it wasn't until the Guggenheim Museum opened in Bilbao, Spain in 1997 that Gehry found himself the most sought-after architect on the planet. He is certainly the only living architect to have made The Simpsons. Little wonder his firm does projects around the world.

Through it all, Gehry has maintained close contacts with Toronto, where he still has relatives. But his first major project in Toronto didn't come until the AGO commissioned him to do a $254 million remake of the Dundas St. gallery five years ago. Though it will change the face of the institution, it won't be the kind of stand-alone signature scheme that made Gehry's name.

As for the eye institute, the University Health Network makes it clear nothing is imminent.

"It's the first I've heard of this," UHN's vice-president of public affairs and communications, Gillian Howard, said yesterday. "There are lots of things that people in the organization would like to have happen, but we have no plans to build a stand-alone eye institute. People here dream big and there's lots of enthusiasm."

In the meantime, interest in Gehry's AGO remake will increase as it gets closer to completion.

"It's looking like sometime in late October or early to mid-November," says Antonietta Mirabelli, communications manager. "That's the range; we hope to be able to share the exact date soon."

Already it's obvious this will be a design that thrills art lovers, gallerygoers and architecture buffs. But it won't have the impact on Toronto that the Guggenheim had on Bilbao. There the museum was part of a rebuilding program that saved the city, a former shipbuilding centre on the Atlantic coast of Spain, from oblivion.

A highlight of the reworked AGO will be a massive glass-enclosed "visor" that will extend along the front of the building almost a whole city block, from McCaul to Beverly Sts. Officially called the Galleria Italia, it will be the home of the AGO's sculpture atrium and one of the most exhilarating indoor spaces in Toronto.

Indeed, along with the east side of the new Royal Conservatory of Music and the third-floor terrace at the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, Gehry's Galleria Italia will be as spectacular a room as we have in the city. This emphasis on architecture as space rather than object has brought a new dimension to Toronto. And that can only be good. Which, of course, is why we'd love to see Gehry back for more. An eye institute isn't what we would have expected, but the sheer novelty of the concept would make it doubly interesting.

At this point, however, Gehry can pretty well pick and choose his projects. Toronto is lucky in the sense that he retains a sense of loyalty to the city he left more than 60 years ago. But for that, it's unlikely he would have done anything here.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca.

Wouldn't have been a stand-alone, but before balking at the price (and going for a local architect instead) a large Toronto synagogue was talking to Gehry about a reno. So I am glad to hear that something else might be afoot, since the loss of that opportunity was a real shame.

I think it was Holy Blossom Temple that was looking at Gehry before they went for someone else.

And I think at one point Koffler Centre (or is it JCC) was looking at him for their reno before ultimately going for Page + Steele.

We've also had a chance to get a Gehry building back in the late 80s/early 90s - Gehry submitted a proposal for the Metro Hall at one point (though the plan was to put it at Harbourfront then).

AoD

At this point, however, Gehry can pretty well pick and choose his projects. Toronto is lucky in the sense that he retains a sense of loyalty to the city he left more than 60 years ago. But for that, it's unlikely he would have done anything here.

This is why Hume is a bad writer. Is it really necessary to leave a parting shot at Toronto being some sort of bastion of provincial mediocrity at the end of every article?

I suspect that had he been born forty years later he would have been one of those emo kids that listen to My Chemical Romance and cut their wrists with exacto knives pilfered from the art room.

I wonder if it's too late to get Gehry's Le Clos winery design to replace the Corus lump 'o coal (it's just a hole in the ground still). :)

Photo-1.jpg

Details:
http://www.arcspace.com/architects/gehry/Winery/

Hume said:

This emphasis on architecture as space rather than object has brought a new dimension to Toronto.

I hate to bring it up again, but perhaps it would be best for Hume to apply this word of wisdom to his vehement attack on the Opera House.

AoD

And what a false choice: a building can be a great space and a great object (and it looks like the AGO may just pull that off. The ROM addition certainly tried).

Stand-alone or as an addition, I will take any Gehry we can get. Bring on the fish-eye structure.

Agreed, it would be nice to have iconic architecture in this city.

And Hume is absolutely right. Much of the buildings in this city is mundane and without merit - provincial mediocrity at its best. Sometimes the only thing more mediocre about this city is the defense that it is not mediocre.

I wound invite those who disagree to visit Syndey, Viennna, Dubai, San Fran, Munich, and 50 other cities....and this day and age, the internet would second Hume's overall notion about this city. Most of my Euro based friends chuckle about Toronto...

I wound invite those who disagree to visit Syndey, Viennna, Dubai, San Fran, Munich, and 50 other cities....and this day and age, the internet would second Hume's overall notion about this city.

I would respectfully disagree. In my travels in Europe, I had a chance to look at some of the architecture (and urban design) of a variety of cities, from Athens to Amsterdam to Seville. One advantage of the cities I saw over Toronto was obvious: a large stock of many-centuries-old monumental architecture. Obviously, Toronto cannot directly compete with that. In addition, the central cores of many of the cities I visited were still based upon pre-automotive street systems, which certainly provided a much more comfortable, human, feeling to those areas, with numerous pedestrian streets and plazas, built for humans instead of automobiles (no wonder that it seemed like almost everybody walked if they could). It truly was an eye-opener to realise how pervasive our own auto-oriented street system is, to the point that we hardly ever really consider its effects upon our built environment -- which while necessary in order to accomodate our automobile culture, are on the whole rather negative.

On the other hand, the more recent architecture, away from the historic districts looked little different from our own recent low- and mid-rise construction. The ultra-stylish buildings seen on websites make up a very small proportion of the more recent construction, with almost all of it being just as forgettable as most of what is being built here.

This is not to deny that a lot of great architecture is being built across Europe. But in general, I saw little difference between what is being done in Europe and being done here in Toronto (allowing for the obvious regional/cultural differences in building styles).

Agreed, it would be nice to have iconic architecture in this city.

And Hume is absolutely right. Much of the buildings in this city is mundane and without merit - provincial mediocrity at its best. Sometimes the only thing more mediocre about this city is the defense that it is not mediocre.

I wound invite those who disagree to visit Syndey, Viennna, Dubai, San Fran, Munich, and 50 other cities....and this day and age, the internet would second Hume's overall notion about this city. Most of my Euro based friends chuckle about Toronto...

Listen "newbie"... if you want to troll, you must understand we've seen and heard it all before... including your transparent, self-congratulatory post.

Sure you got a little bit of the attention you hoped for... but it doesn't really add up to much does it? If you and your Euros are chuckling about Toronto, I suspect you are not leading happy lives.

Listen "newbie"... if you want to troll, you must understand we've seen and heard it all before... including your transparent, self-congratulatory post.

Sure you got a little bit of the attention you hoped for... but it doesn't really add up to much does it? If you and your Euros are chuckling about Toronto, I suspect you are not leading happy lives.

So if I agree with Christopher Hume, I'm a newbie troll? Fascinating thought process...

What about the Pugly's? They sure think design in this city is largely gawd awful too... I guess they must be newbie trolls too. A city over run with trolls...now that is exciting. Could boost tourism too....

I hate to bring it up again, but perhaps it would be best for Hume to apply this word of wisdom to his vehement attack on the Opera House.

AoD

Yes, that would by a rather painful contradiction on the part of C. Hume.

Syndey, Viennna, Dubai,

Sydney is not spelled correctly (and over-rated), Dubai is an urban joke (except for a plethora of cloud piercing "structures") and Vienna is of course... exquisite.

I've been to those places so I must confess I don't understand your point/post at all.

My point (clearly) is that a forumer with very, very few posts ... who offers up a B-job to the overly-medicated expat who writes about archie-texture for The Star... is either "that expat" or someone who gets his/her jollies trying to make others feel bad (like him/her).

One can promote Dubai if one believes in the Jetsons world-view.

Back