News   May 08, 2024
 217     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 443     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 749     0 

Star: Tokyo plans to outdo Toronto('s CN Tower)

W

wyliepoon

Tokyo plans to outdo Toronto
Mar. 14, 2006. 10:02 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO - Japan's major broadcast networks are nearing completion on plans to build the world's tallest tower in Tokyo, a Japanese newspaper reported Tuesday.

The tower — to be 600 metres tall — will be used for terrestrial digital broadcasting at a cost of some $420 million (U.S.), the national newspaper, Yomiuri, reported. It is scheduled for completion in 2011.

Officials from Japan's public broadcaster NHK and five Tokyo-based commercial broadcasting companies are involved in the project.

Kinji Terada, a spokesman of NHK, said officials are now "in a final stage of co-ordination" in picking the location for the tower in Tokyo's old entertainment area in Sumida ward.

The tallest free-standing structure in the world currently is the CN Tower in Toronto, which was built almost 30 years ago and soars just over 553 metres.

Link to article

-----------------------​

Old news to me. We all know about the Burj Dubai. Guangzhou, China is also serious about building something taller than the CN Tower.

Maybe they should just go all out and build a ladder to heaven.

sp1.jpg

it is truly unbelieveable that the CN Tower's world record has stood for such a long period of time... especially in today's skyscraper boom in Dubai, Asia, and here in North America... while tons of plans are ready in all of these locations of buildings/structures taller than the CN Tower, nothing yet and at least for the next 2/3 years. Pretty Incredible.

Both the Burj Dubai and the Guangzhou TV & Sightseeing Tower are under construction, and both will be taller than the CN Tower.

For the Star to suggest the CN Tower will lose it's title to this structure is lazy reporting.

Who cares about this, the Burj Dubai, which opens in 2008 will be 100m higher than this new tower in tokyo ;)

Looks like it is time for Toronto to plan an extension to the CN Tower, to keep it the tallest.

Was there not a plan in the early 90's to add height to the CN, to keep it the tallest when Moscow had plans to add height to their tower?

Was there not a plan in the early 90's to add height to the CN, to keep it the tallest when Moscow had plans to add height to their tower?

The Star published an article about adding height to the CN Tower once... on April Fool's Day. I don't remember which year though.

Looks like it is time for Toronto to plan an extension to the CN Tower, to keep it the tallest.

Doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting...

Adding height, for what? Spending x millions just so that we can be taller by 10 metres just so that 5 years down the road, someone can build an tower that is "integrally" taller without resorting to a mast? That sounded like a case of size envy to me.

Personally, I'd worry more about the blotchy concrete instead.

Now, if someone want to shell out 10+B for Foster's Millenium Tower to be built here, say in the middle of the Toronto Harbour, I am all ears. Otherwise, zzzz!

AoD

I wouldn't want to see a massive project to make the CN Tower taller for the same reason Alvin outlined - it'll just be beat again.

So our phallic symbol won't be the biggest anymore.
Big whoop.

A line-up of contenders for the CN Tower's title... (buildings and heights taken from our good friends at SSP)

al_burj.jpg

Al Burj, Dubai, UAE (200 floors, no final height)

burj_dubai.jpg

Burj Dubai, Dubai, UAE (705m, not finalized)

MIBC-17.jpg

Tower of Russia, Moscow (648m)

photo02.jpg

Sumida Tower, Tokyo, Japan (610m)

songdo_story.jpg

Incheon Towers, Incheon, South Korea (610m)

AH_Tower4_jpg.jpg

Guangzhou TV and Sightseeing Tower, Guangzhou, China (610m)

20457292.jpg

Fordham Spire (609.7m) and "Tweezer Tower" (609.7m), Chicago, IL, USA

The Guangzhou Tower by Arup looks AWFULLY like the Vortex by MAKE Architects (headed by Ken Shuttleworth of Foster and Partners/30 St. Mary Axe fame).

AoD

Welcome to the garish new century!

(Chicago: Hadn't heard of the tweezer tower before. Calatrava's drill bit or narwhal tusk should make for some interesting wind patterns at ground level.)

Extention??!! HA!

The CN tower is to flippin cheap to even light the place properly! Soon it will the the 2nd , third , fourth whatever and no one will care. AND, no one will know as they have never fully promoted it, and especially LIT it. Its a dark spot in the sky at night with little aircraft lights.

It is disgusting, when you look at all the other big towers around the world.

Toronto the cheap.

Back