News   Jul 29, 2024
 208     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 98     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 488     0 

Star: The Go-to Guys (Kirkor Architects)

I also believe that there's evidence of a cultural change, that good architects are reclaiming territory ( designing homes for people ) in the spirit of Modernism's original goal of improving lives. And I agree with p5connex that the impetus has to come from design culture itself - architects abdicated responsibility to developers, who used the excuse that they were "only building what the market wants", for too long.

^^That is exactly it - architects abdicating responsibility, in favor of getting work, but also allowing developers drive the market. I agree that people want what is familiar, but familiarity breeds blandness and ultimately repetition.

I think we also are seeing the beginnings of a better-design process, whereby both developers/architects and the municipalities (in this case Toronto) are making changes for the better. However, I disagree that architects going through a design panel process will dumb designs down, especially for those, who you consider to be cutting edge architects. If anything they should not have to be afraid, because essentially they are already doing or practicing, for the most part, the type of work the design panel would be looking for - obviously this will not work 100% of the time, but as long as we have a strong and interested review/design panel, we should at least expect better things.

Naturally, that this is taking place in Vaughn, home of the "big-box" and warehouse heaven, we can assume that that developers will almost always have the upper-hand, not to mention that a design like this from Kirkor, probably far exceeds their expectations. Blandness, begats blandness, especially if that is what you are familiar with!

p5

And "design review" cuts both ways - if such a peer review system is collegial, and works to improve the original design rather than trashing it and imposing an entirely new design from above, it will have credibility and be welcomed. If not, who would submit to it?

jesus, these are the guys responsable for the train wreck that is Astoria on 10th gawd, is it going to look like shit, I hate these guys.

Not to mention the $2.2 bill. project they just designed for some mega development in Reno, Nevada. These guys design the same schlock no matter where they are- like I posted elsewhere, they are totally insensitive to everything- site, context, history, etc. Plain and simple, these guys are just not to be respected nor should they receive the 'go-to-guys' title, more like the 'go-away-guys'!

p5

Back