News   Jul 30, 2024
 940     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 651     0 

Star: Royal Bank Plaza Underground Reno (Hume)

Perhaps they could have connected the bridge to the track platforms in some manner to alleviate some of the ped traffic at street and basement level.

Well, it looks to be yet another relic of alternate "plus 15" urban planning, along with the City Hall walkways, the 181 Uni/150 York/Hilton podium, the upper FCP level, etc.

Probably a victim of the collapse of Metro Centre--and if it were to plug into a retained Union Station, it surely would have been regarded as a disfiguring urban eyesore and blemish. (As it stands, anyway, traffic's surprisingly calm on this stretch of Front, and the median helps from a ped POV...)

I found this on the 'net...this was the original fountain that sat at the bottom of the spiral ramp that ran from the shopping basement, up around to at least street level....it was open to the entire banking hall above.
I'd forgotten about the fountains, both inside and outside....
This one was by the company R.J.VanSeters.

RoyalBk.jpg

It wasn't a fountain ( that was outside ) but a waterfall, as mentioned earlier, with a substantial pond at the bottom. In one of the October 1976 ceremonies to open the Merchants Mall, the bank's VP and a mall tenant pushed a button to start the water flowing. The escalator that was installed many years later descended from right to left in your picture - by that time the trees were much taller and extended into the lower of the two banking halls.

The ROM was called in when fossils were discovered during excavation in April 1974 - trilobites.

V.K.Mason was general contractor. They also built Commerce Court, the Sheraton Centre hotel, the Simpson Tower and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

Metro Centre was the massive 60's/70's project to redevelop the rail lands. This area included areas occupied by City Place, Convention Centre, Skydome and the CN Tower today. It also meant tearing down Union Station hence the walkway from Royal Bank Plaza. Only the CN Tower was completed.

Viewed from above, the Merchants Mall plants, waterfall, and blocks of stone of differing sizes looked like a big architectural model of an unrealized city. I miss it.

Royal Bank Towers: My favorite new Toronto buildings!

Everyone: The RBC Towers were my favorite Toronto buildings-it was an excellent design for the late 70s-I remember the underground concourse,the atrium-the design was excellent and CN-I remember that waterfall. How does it look today? When I found out about the gold leaf used in the windows I was impressed! I will always like the RBC towers! LI MIKE

Not quite--they've reconfigured the tower entrances at least twice (though generally "in keeping")

Hate the new dark grey marble/granite floor....like they need to be any darker in that area. Hope things will change for the better....but so far...with some stores there...all look boring and lame, still depressing and tired looking.

Back