289     0 

Star Editorial: Ontario Liberal MPs take us for granted

Well, here's the poll...
----------------------------------------------------------

Tories tiptoe into majority territory

By GLORIA GALLOWAY

Saturday, April 16, 2005 Updated at 1:42 AM EST

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

OTTAWA  The Conservatives are edging toward a majority as anger with the Liberals become more firmly entrenched and Stephen Harper begins to earn the trust of Canadians, even in wary Ontario, a new poll suggests.

An Ipsos-Reid survey conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV between Tuesday and Thursday of this week  as damning testimony from the Gomery inquiry into the sponsorship scandal made headlines and election speculation heated to a boil  put the Conservatives at levels of support they have not seen since the election of 1988, when they swept the country.

The Tories' popularity rose six percentage points from April 8 to April 12, climbing to 36 per cent support among decided voters from 30 per cent. The Liberals, meanwhile, stagnated at 27 per cent and the New Democrats' popularity fell from 19 per cent to 15 per cent.

"It's all being driven by people's inability right now to trust the Liberal government," said Darrell Bricker, president of Ipsos-Reid.

The Conservatives did not register a noticeable rise in support in the first few days after testimony of Quebec ad executive Jean Brault was released to the public that swamped the Liberals in the corruption scandal over millions of dollars in federal advertising contracts. But this week, the impact was hitting home.

"It takes some time to sink in," Mr. Bricker said. "You weigh out the options. Brault comes out, and then you listen to what the opposition has to say about it, and then you listen to what the government has to say about it, and then you listen to what the editorialists have to say about it, and then a bit of a public consensus starts to form."

It is impossible to predict whether these numbers would give the Conservatives a majority government  although the Liberals have won majorities with 37 per cent of support among decided voters  but they will certainly weigh on the mind of Mr. Harper as he determines the best day to bring down the Liberal minority and force an election.

Fifty three per cent of those surveyed said they don't want an election until after Mr. Justice John Gomery releases his final report on the sponsorship program in late fall, and only 11 per cent said they want to go to the polls right now. But the Conservatives seem set to hit the hustings.

The big story of the poll is in Ontario, where the Tories have increased their support to 39 per cent from 32 per cent and are significantly ahead of the Liberals, who were the choice of 33 per cent of those polled.

Ontario "is the killer," Mr. Bricker said. "That's the 905 [region] going to the Tories. They've got some outpost seats right now with Belinda Stronach and Peter Van Loan and a couple of other people around the city. Others will start to go. And when those start to go, a lot go."

Even in Quebec, where the Conservatives hold no seats, the party is starting to gain ground, edging up to 16 per cent support from 13 per cent among decided voters. While the Bloc Québécois lost a little support in Quebec  down seven percentage points between April 8 and April 12, to 41 per cent  the rise of the Conservatives will undoubtedly split federalist support in Liberal ridings, Mr. Bricker said.

The poll of 1,000 adults reflects the views of all Canadians to within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times in 20.

The party that suffers the most in the poll is the NDP, which, despite some promising numbers in other surveys, has dropped to 15 per cent support across Canada.

"But they are in the game," Mr. Bricker said. "Their numbers are very regional in terms of their orientation and they're always about whether they are doing better in the places they need to do well."

One of the most interesting sections of the poll contrasts how Canadians feel about Mr. Harper with how they feel about the Prime Minister.

More of those surveyed picked Mr. Martin as the best person to lead Canada: 42 per cent compared with 34 per cent for Mr. Harper. And a majority said Mr. Martin was better on economic and foreign issues and that he held values that were more in tune with their own.

But 40 per cent of respondents selected Mr. Harper as the person Canadians trust, compared with 35 per cent for Mr. Martin. Ontario respondents to that question were split at 37 per cent for each man.

As for the person they believe would be most likely to clean up corruption in Ottawa, Mr. Harper was the runaway favourite, with 41 per cent saying he is the person for the job. Mr. Martin got the nod from just 26 per cent.

"If this election is about cleaning up corruption, it's very good for Harper," Mr. Bricker said. "On the fundamental questions of what a prime minister needs to represent, i.e. trust, he's in the game. And that's not his typical profile."
© Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Poor NDP... doesn't look like they'll ever be a viable option.

Funny - the poll from the Star the day before showed a Conservative minority, with NDP support in the low to mid 20s - the highest it has been in years.

I'd take any poll at this time with a grain of salt. The scandal is hot right now and the Liberals are paying for it. That could change pretty quickly in any direction.

I agree. I think a lot of Canadians realise that all of this happened four, five, six years ago, largely under a different Liberal regime. Sure Canadians are angry now, but I think an election would make many people sober up and think a bit more pragmatically. Sure, the Liberals got a bit corrupt, but this scandal business and the desperation of the party of late makes it clear that the party may have finally realised that it has to clean up. Better the devil you know, as they say.

Beyond that, I think many people can see through Harper's flip-flopping. His party isn't behind his recent turn to the centre, and he doesn't really believe it himself. It's more shameless than usual for a politician.

"NDP offers to prop up Liberals"

Layton says his party will back Martin minority in exchange for more money for Ontario

CANADIAN PRESS
Apr. 18, 2005

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...alogin=yes

Prime Minister Paul Martin could win the support of the New Democrats and avoid a spring election by cutting corporate tax cuts and addressing Ontario's so-called fiscal gap, NDP leader Jack Layton said today.

"If he's willing to take some of the surplus, if he's willing to reduce the corporate tax cut and invest it now, then we don't have to have an election," Layton told reporters.

"Then we could talk about supporting the government."

Layton joined Ontario NDP leader Howard Hampton at a news conference to talk about Premier Dalton McGuinty's complaint that the province pays $23 billion more to Ottawa than it receives in federal programs and transfers.

But questions quickly turned to a possible Conservative non-confidence motion in the minority Liberal government because of allegations of kickbacks and corruption coming from the Gomery inquiry into the federal sponsorship scandal.

"I think I can say it would be highly unlikely our party would support a non-confidence motion right now," said Layton.

"We're taking it a day at a time, a week at a time."

Layton said he personally was "furious" about allegations of brown envelopes full of cash being given to Liberals in Quebec, but said most Canadians need more time to digest the testimony from the sponsorship inquiry.

"At the moment there's a rising anger, but for most people it doesn't seem to have reached that tipping point of saying, `Let's go to the polls,' " he said.

"They're frankly a little bit sick and tired of the attention that's always paid to the Liberals defending themselves from their own corruption."

Layton said that Martin's refusal to trim the corporate tax cuts in this year's federal budget and deal with Ontario's complaints about a fiscal gap could result in a quick end to the minority Liberal government elected last June.

"If the budget were changed so that people's actual needs in their families were addressed, that opens the door for a continuation of the House of Commons and this particular Parliament," he said.

"That door is slammed shut by virtue of Paul Martin's complete intransigence when it comes to these issues. He wants to give money to his corporate friends."

There was a report today that quoted unnamed sources who said the Conservatives won't enter a motion of non-confidence without the support of the New Democrats.

But Layton said bringing down Martin's scandal-plagued Liberals is not the NDP's top priority right now, and called his proposal to support the minority government if Martin agrees to his terms "a more effective strategy."

Super Layton to the Rescue! This is why I was happy to see the NDP much stronger this past federal election. I knew they would bethe one whipping Martin into behaving and keeping his more leftist promises.

This strategy is brilliant. It shows Layton and the NDP as the saviour of the government and a strong force on Ontario's side... which happens to be where the Liberals hold 3/4 of their seats in the country.

When an election comes around, Ontarians will remember..or be reminded of this and see the NDP as a good and strong alternative.

Taxes aren't going any higher - the corporate taxes just aren't being lowered further. That's the same spin groups like the CTF like to pull.

Good news. I'm glad Layton is using this to his advantage, with pretty good optics for his party.

I'm glad Layton is using this to his advantage, with pretty good optics for his party.
Bad optics in AB and probably QC, but it's not like it'll cost them any seats anyway.

It's hard to tell how thing'll work out--my fear is that it might wind up a "sloppy second" kind of election for Jack Layton, much as 2000 was relative to 1997 for Alexa...

First about the comment on how the NDP is perceived in Quebec. Of any federal party, the NDP has the most respect outside of the Bloc. Even hardline seperatists, while maybe not voting for them, do see them as a party that is good for federal politics. They might not have a strong voting base because they unfortunately align on the left with the Bloc and many will still choose the Bloc because of the soverignty issue.

adma: There are very very few people who have enough knowledge in politics to be able to begin to understand all that has happened in the past month and how things are going to play out. Chantal Herbert, who is one of the best political journalists in all of Canada even stated that an election was unlikely until the fall with the past few days having played out the likely hood of a spring election instead. Canadian politics, both federal and on provincial levels is in a rather chaotic state right now. I have stopped even trying to make predictions. I do think however, that regardless of how this and another possible election in a 1 year + a few months is going to be a very dramatic momment in Canadian politics with a lot of common held beliefs and conventions of the current political and democratic system thrown out the window. Thats all I have to say for now, anymore writing and its going to go into a very, very long philisophical waxing about the current state of Canada and democracy and while its a fascinating subject, I would rather just spend this wednesday night drinking beer. Cheers!

Concerning an election in the fall, we'll see. The Conservatives will have lost some momentum by that time, or will have maintained the momentum to call an election in June with confidence that they can form a minority government at least.

The single worst thing playing against the Liberals is the Gomery inquiry. That's what hurt them a year ago, that's what is hurting them now. I wonder how well they would be doing in the polls without the whole adscam issue.

I think that the stench from the Gomery inquiry will only get worse, that the Liberal meltdown in the polls that began a couple of weeks ago was a tipping point they will not recover from, and that people have made up their minds to kick the old rascals out and bring in the new rascals. Enough people, even in Ontario, appear to be prepared to put up with Harper in order to accomplish that. Instead of stealing the NDP's best ideas and moving the Liberals to the left, Martin has governed as he did before losing his majority.

Back