News   Jul 22, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 633     0 

Star: City Hall eyes traffic circles

Holy cow, what a memory! I was vacationing/camping via car in Sept of 88 when we found the mic mac rotary. I think we went around twice before finding our off ramp....what a hoot! Later that day we found a shop selling T-shirts that said "I survived the mic mac rotary" Wish I had one today.

someone's memories of the micmac rotary and yes, they really sold t-shirts.
many survived.
others did not.

I guess the point is there's more at work in terms of the rules than simply stating that you can't drive next to someone else.
It looks like the only people driving side by side are coming from the same entrance of the roundabout (the second video showed that both lanes yielded to a single car coming around), so it seems the left/straight - straight/right lane configuration would prevent accidents

^^^
further to that, the mic mac rotary was designed much like a modern roundabout and not like a traffic circle with a very wide diamater and many lanes.
but it was a mess. they cannot handle volume.
they just can't.
The Mic Mac rotary wasn't a roundabout. It was MUCH larger than a roundabout, which are designed with a small radius to slow everyone down and improve safety. Plus it was in the middle of a freeway. Not like in England where you get to the roundabout after you exit, but in the main lanes like they used to have on the QEW. It was replaced with a parclo interchange. Nobody's suggesting that we put roundabouts in the middle of the 401.
mic%20mac%20rotary.jpg

CDL - looking at that those interchanges, they don't look so much like roundabouts as big roads that just happen to be round. Do they back up any worse than at signal-controlled interchanges in Toronto? Traffic lights are prone to backing up too. Even in Peterborough at a couple of the exits off the 115 it's not unusual to sit at the intersection for 3-4 light cycles.

I still think that even with the lights they still distribute traffic better than an average intersection. At an intersection, a green light phase is shared by people turning left, right, and going straight ahead. At those roundabouts with lights, at a green phase everyone goes straight ahead... traffic flows smoothly.

Another interesting thing that they sometimes do (such as in the case of that first roundabout (M4) I showed you) is have "Part-time signals", where the traffic lights are only used during rush-hours and it's a free-flowing roundabout during all other periods.

I know one design they've started using at highway interchanges two small roundabouts instead of one large one, like along the new A13 east of London. Example. This doesn't help us much when it comes to a high-traffic urban intersection unless they're considering building an overpass.

I know one design they've started using at highway interchanges two small roundabouts instead of one large one, like along the new A13 east of London. Example. This doesn't help us much when it comes to a high-traffic urban intersection unless they're considering building an overpass.

That is a very unique interchange.

I really like that style of interchange - while the Parclo (a MTO innovation) has the big advantage of reducing weaving while having easy access to and from a freeway, they can take up a lot of space. The small traffic circles at the intersections of what otherwise would be a diamond interchange isn't a bad way to go.

I still think that even with the lights they still distribute traffic better than an average intersection. At an intersection, a green light phase is shared by people turning left, right, and going straight ahead. At those roundabouts with lights, at a green phase everyone goes straight ahead... traffic flows smoothly.

Another interesting thing that they sometimes do (such as in the case of that first roundabout (M4) I showed you) is have "Part-time signals", where the traffic lights are only used during rush-hours and it's a free-flowing roundabout during all other periods.

Oh okay I thought you were saying they lock up more than traditional signals. My mistake. I've never driven on those double interchange roundabouts but they seem like a great idea. Here's one in Vail, Colorado. The great thing about them is they eliminate left turn movements so there's no need for the big (expensive) parclo interchanges that are so common in Ontario. MTO should be all over them, but they're kind of set in their ways.

Oh for anyone who's still vague on the differences between an old rotary and a new roundabout, Brock University illustrates it perfectly.

edit - looks like you guys beat me to it.

Stop signs waste gas. Stop signs deter bicyclists.

There are roads in Toronto that seem to have a stop sign at every intersection. This wastes gasoline and deters bicyclists.

In theory, the vehicle (both petroleum-based and muscle-based) must come to a full stop, check to see if the way is clear, and then proceed.

Its the proceeding from the full stop that wastes gasoline. To overcome the stationary inertia, requires more power. So the motorist has to go into first gear, which uses more gasoline to move. Then it shifts into second gear, to move using less gasoline, and so on. Unless there is another stop sign. Braking shifts down, hopefully using the engine to slow down.

The braking is advantageous for hybrid vehicles as it generates electricity for storage. So for hybrids, the constant stop and go is wanted. But not for the non-hybrids.

The bicyclists would like to avoid coming to a full stop, for the same reason. It is harder for them to move from a full stop, than just coasting. There is no hybrid version for bicyclists to store the braking energy. Bicyclists would prefer a yield sign for bicyclists.

The traffic circle is a preferred remedy for both motorists and bicyclists.

The traffic circle is a preferred remedy for both motorists and bicyclists.
a) it's not like the cyclist actually ever stops for a stop sign - come one, they barely stop for red lights
b) surely a roundabout would be better for both than a traffic circle

Definition:
Chiefly British. traffic circle.

A traffic circle is a synonym for a roundabout!

I'm not sure that's actually correct. I believe there are different road rules for roundabouts and traffic circles, as well as a few other differences.

Go to Waterloo and check out the roundabout's there! In someways they work, but they give you a headache if you go around them too fast! Waterloo is progressive in some areas and just plain c.1995 GTA ass backwards in others.

In Toronto, roundabout's might work at Yonge and Sheppard and beyond.

I'm not sure that's actually correct. I believe there are different road rules for roundabouts and traffic circles, as well as a few other differences.

Traffic circle: Traffic entering the circle has the right-of-way
Roundabout: Traffic in the circle has the right-of-way

Of course, this is the traditional definition. For all intents and purposes, the city could be talking about either one. There is no proof one way or the other. Bottom line, they look the same.

Definition:
Chiefly British. traffic circle.

A traffic circle is a synonym for a roundabout!
I hope they don't let you drive, if you don't know the difference!

Near Toronto there are probably more roundabouts in Region of Waterloo than anywhere else (there are about a dozen major ones, plus a couple of smaller ones on city streets). They call them roundabouts not traffic circles. They say roundabouts are very different.

Time for a new dictionary I think ...

Back