wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

70% of drivers admit to speeding

Nov 11, 2007 11:41 AM
Michael Oliveira
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Most Canadians will freely admit to exceeding the speed limit from time to time, but when it comes to just how fast they drive, they underestimate their true speed and delude themselves into thinking their behaviour really isn't that bad, says a new report by Transport Canada.

Based on a survey of 2,002 drivers conducted in 2005 and 12 focus groups held across the country, the report finds most Canadians consider speeding to be dangerous and believe it leads to an increased risk of collision, injury or death.

However, seven out of 10 Canadians admitted to doing it anyway, while an additional eleven per cent said they speed but only on highways, according to the executive summary of the forthcoming report, a copy of which was obtained by The Canadian Press.

Drivers surveyed admitted to an average speed that was 12 km/h higher than the limit on major highways, 10 km/h higher on two-lane highways or country roads, and seven over on residential streets.

It's fair to assume the real numbers are considerably higher, experts say, because most drivers underestimate the extent of their speeding and consider it to be benign.

Those drivers believe they are technically speeding according to the rule of law, the report concludes, but not in a way that endangers either themselves or others – even though they are quick to condemn other speeders as dangerous.

"People don't see themselves as the problem, they see others as the problem – I'm OK and you're the bad guy," said Raynald Marchand, the general manager of programs for the Canada Safety Council.

"That's pretty human, it's the same with people with regard to cellular phones – I'm OK when I'm using mine but that guy over there, he's the problem."

The report suggests the biggest problem group of drivers is the 30 per cent who speed more than average, and don't believe their speeding translates into a greater risk of an accident, injury or death.

They're labelled two ways, either as risk-takers or pragmatic speeders. Risk-takers enjoy the thrill of high speed and defying authority, while pragmatic speeders consciously drive aggressively when they believe they have reason to, such as being in a hurry.

The report suggests public education campaigns should focus on this hard-to-reach group because they pose a considerable danger to themselves and others, but seem oblivious to the risks until it's too late.

"People speed and they don't think (an accident) is going to happen to them. And most times, nothing happens, and they build on that thinking that nothing will ever happen," Marchand said.

Even if speeders are in perfect control of their vehicle, their speed will haunt them in the event that another driver gets in their way and causes an accident, he added.

"When you look at collision crashes, speeding itself is often not the actual cause of the collision, however, speeding is always an aggravating factor in the collision – the occupant would've been less injured or would've survived if they had been closer to the speed limit," Marchand said.

"The physics are unforgiving to the speeding driver."

Ontario recently targeted its most aggressive drivers with a new law that imposes tough penalties on anyone caught exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/h. Their licence is immediately suspended for a week, their car is towed and impounded for seven days, and if convicted, they face a fine of between $2,000 and $10,000.

After five weeks of what has been dubbed a "shock and awe" campaign, more than 1,300 drivers have been caught, a number that has shocked even police.

But some experts believe the focus should be on reducing the speed of all drivers, even if it's just marginally.

Brian Jonah, the director of road safety programs at Transport Canada, said the chance of an accident resulting in a fatality is reduced by one per cent with every five km/h reduction in speed.

While that may not sound like much, a small slowdown in everyone's speed would translate into many lives saved and reduced injuries in accidents, he said, considering that 2,725 drivers were killed and over 212,000 were injured in 2004, the most recent year that statistics are available.

An appeal is going out to the provinces and territories to draft plans to make the roads safer, and Jonah said he'd be happy if the auto industry also did its part, by changing the way it markets vehicles.

"We're trying to deter manufacturers from using ads for their vehicles that rely on speed and power, those kinds of advertisements could glorify dangerous driving."

The full Transport Canada study is to be publicly released later this week.

The poll that contributed to the report's research was conducted during the months of March and April 2005 by Ekos Research Associates, and is considered accurate within 2.2 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

I go 70 in 60's, but no more than 42 in a 40.

On the highway - it depends on the condition of the road, time of day, and traffic. No way would I do 100, I don't want to be a hazard to other drivers. In good conditions I average around 125 on the 400 series and about 110 on the DVP, though I can hit 140/120 respectively if that's the flow of traffic in the far left lane.

Since the creation of the new law, I'm mindful to limit my upper speed on the 401 to 135.

We all know each lane of the 401 has a flow that's around 5-10 km faster than the lane to its right. I guess I'm in the 70% that can openly admit I speed, but feel it's much safer to do 135 in the far left lane, rather than 95 and obeying the letter of the law.

Oh, also people who tailgate and make unsafe lane changes should be rounded up, along with people who litter, and publicly executed each week on national TV.

Oh, also people who tailgate and make unsafe lane changes should be rounded up, along with people who litter, and publicly executed each week on national TV.

Well, maybe humiliated on the "Kenny Vs. Spenny" TV show. I'm not for capital punishment, but all for moronic humour.

They're labelled two ways, either as risk-takers or pragmatic speeders. Risk-takers enjoy the thrill of high speed and defying authority, while pragmatic speeders consciously drive aggressively when they believe they have reason to, such as being in a hurry.
He's forgetting about the group that simply drives the speed that feels comfortable regardless of the posted limit. Which usually happens to be the speed the road is designed for, ie 120-130 on freeways. Ontario's speed limits are probably the lowest in the western world.

"When you look at collision crashes, speeding itself is often not the actual cause of the collision, however, speeding is always an aggravating factor in the collision – the occupant would've been less injured or would've survived if they had been closer to the speed limit," Marchand said.
Hasn't the "speed kills" argument been disproven? Going by this guy's argument, we should reduce the speed limits on all roads to 10 km/h. If you hit someone going 20 you might hurt them!

If governments were serious about how well people drive it would make driver training mandatory for all new drivers.

Yesterday I set my cruise control at 110 kph for my run from Cabbagetown to Kitchener (starting at the 401), and I was definitely a huge annoyance to every other user of the road. Transport trucks were lined up behind me, and cars raced by me on the right trying to swerve around me.

This morning, I set the cruise control at 130 kph, and sat in the middle lane, with occasionally passing in the left lane. I'd say that 120-130 is the regular speed on the 401 when traffic is open.

That's always been my experience. You probably shouldn't have been in the middle lane, though, if you were getting passed by everyone. On my last trip to Kitchener, I was very early for an appointment so I decided to save gas by setting the cruise control at 100km/h and sitting in the right lane. There wasn't a single car or truck that didn't pass me.

I never understood that article. I read it before coming here but to me it just smacks of stupid rules of the road.

Fact. It is safest to drive with the speed of traffic. When you don't you're a hazard. Actual speed is irrelevant. If you crash at 100km an hour chances are your gonna be dead or wished you were.

Grandma driving at 80KM on the 401 during non-rush hour traffic is a bigger hazard than Johnny driving 120KM.

Fact. It is safest to drive with the speed of traffic. When you don't you're a hazard. Actual speed is irrelevant. If you crash at 100km an hour chances are your gonna be dead or wished you were.
I was in a 3-car collision doing almost 100 km/h once (somebody ran a stop sign). Everyone walked away. If I wasn't wearing a seat belt I'd probably be dead though.

Incidentally, that accident would have been pretty much impossible if that intersection had a roundabout.

Yesterday I set my cruise control at 110 kph for my run from Cabbagetown to Kitchener (starting at the 401), and I was definitely a huge annoyance to every other user of the road. Transport trucks were lined up behind me, and cars raced by me on the right trying to swerve around me.

Unless I'm misreading this, the problem was that you were in the middle lane rather than the right lane.

Which usually happens to be the speed the road is designed for, ie 120-130 on freeways. Ontario's speed limits are probably the lowest in the western world.
I beg to differ; out here in suburban Cincinnati, the standard freeway speed limit is 65mph (104), and within city boundaries, its 55mph (88). The true speeds are also much lower; its generally 65mph in a 55 zone, 70mph in a suburban 65 zone, and 75 in a rural 65 zone. (88-112-120, respectively). Ontario's speed limits are the same as, if not higher than, the speed limits around here.

Um, I'm not sure if everyone realized this, but the article did not only mention speeding on highways, but also residential streets (7 km/hr over). At St Clair Ave w and Vaughn Rd, a left-turning driver (eastbound St Clair onto northbound Vaughn) almost ran over my foot in his hemi-truck and when I tapped on his side-panel to get his attention, he stepped out of his vehicle and confronted! me by pushing me almost to the sidewalk; thankfully, there were witnesses present and when I got onto the bus, the police must've seen the incident and asked for the details (a witness gave me the license plate number).

Yeesh, sorry to hear that, gboy. Amazing how people think they have a right to get angry at the fact that you dared to point out that they almost sent you to the hospital. Hope he gets what's coming to him.

As if it's not a foregone conclusion that everyone speeds. The people who don't just annoy everyone else. I freely admit to doing 70+ on a 50 section of Britannia, but only because it's built to be like 80 and just happens to be sort of residential. It's really a false limit. It doesn't help that Britannia goes from like 60 to 80 to 70 to 60 to 50 to 70 etc over its length from McLaughlin to Hurontario to Mavis to Creditview to Queen to Erin Mills. I find it painful to drive 50 in the 50 zone from Erin Mills to Queen. Between Queen and the Credit River bridge it makes sense, because it's one lane either way, but otherwise it's just plain ridiculous.

Back