News   May 23, 2024
 183     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 311     3 
News   May 23, 2024
 756     0 

Star: 50 Years of the Fishbowl

that's a great idea. then have them come out like the PCC's on simcoe day.

Since I ride these things every day on my commute, usually in less than satisfactory conditions, it's hard to say whether I'll be missing them when they get retired.

I've heard that in many American cities that have retired their Fishbowls, transit fans have developed some nostalgia for them. Maybe the TTC should start marketing routes that still run Fishbowls like its streetcar system. Avenues developed in the 1960s like Eglinton Avenue East in Scarborough would make an interesting heritage Fishbowl bus route.

Since I ride these things every day on my commute, usually in less than satisfactory conditions, it's hard to say whether I'll be missing them when they get retired.

I understand they are noisy and seats are hard on models that were built between 1979 and 1983. Any TTC Fishbowls that were built before 1979 have better seats but ugly interiors.

They should save a few, but I don't think that the time has yet come for Fishbowls to be a major tourist draw like streetcars are currently. There's the postwar association of the bus as the modern replacement of the streetcar, which makes them common and recent. The public seems to get excited about streetcars for the lasting appeal of the rails. When streetcars become commonplace through new LRT throughout North America, and when the 1950s become more distant in the public's perception, then the Fishbowls may actually be an attraction. So in either case, the TTC should save some.

I don't know whats to hate about these vehicles. They are by far the best buses the TTC has. Best seating layout, rear window, quick open/close rear doors. People talk about the noise, well atleast it sounds like a race car with the strong engine noise. It gives you the impression the bus is travelling faster than it is. I prefer that compared to the vaccuum cleaner whirrring/snoring noise the new buses make.

Also, these buses are very nimble and the acceleration/stopping doesn't cause seasickness the way the new buses do with their over-reactive brakes and forward-backward up-down motioning.

And atleast you can get some personal air with the windows on the Fishbowls being at head level. On the new buses theres no way to regulate air flow on those days when the driver has the heat at maximum even though the bus is full and everyone is dressed for -40 outdoor temperatures. Whats the point of ceiling windows where you have to open a window about 3-4 panels ahead of your seat to feel anything.

There's also a designated standing / stroller / cart / bike area (the empty spot behind the rear doors) that allows for better space management.

To me, a trip on a Fishbowl is fun compared to annoying on the new buses.

The outside looked great. However, inside: the seats were uncomfortable and slippery, no footrests, the windows rattled so loud I thought they would break, the windows refused to open, the windows were difficult to move, first with no armrests (a preview of what was to come), they looked cheap.

In Brampton, I preferred getting a New Look over the sh*tty Orion VIs, and you knew if it was a hot day, and a New Look came around, you'd be warm (no AC) but the windows open would make the trip quite bearable, unlike the Orion VIs with the tiny upper windows when the driver either refused to turn on the AC or if it was broken.

The Orion VIIs are an improvement over the VIs, but does anyone else notice the jerk-o-matic transmission? If you're standing, you're often bouncing back and forth even at low speeds. I also dislike the push bar rear doors that give that high-pitched "beep-beep" when activated, and take forever to close. Give me treadles any day.

Magic Bus oughta invest in a used Fishbowl or two. Or rent'em out for those artsy tours of places like Scarborough. I guess you can call it: Furthuring the Fishbowl...

I know who can give the Fishbowl some cred
simpsons_otto_mann.jpg

They should save a few, but I don't think that the time has yet come for Fishbowls to be a major tourist draw like streetcars are currently. There's the postwar association of the bus as the modern replacement of the streetcar, which makes them common and recent. The public seems to get excited about streetcars for the lasting appeal of the rails. When streetcars become commonplace through new LRT throughout North America, and when the 1950s become more distant in the public's perception, then the Fishbowls may actually be an attraction. So in either case, the TTC should save some.

Maybe it's also that there isn't the mass sentimentality t/w standard postwar North American vehicular design, however "classic". When it comes to Europe, Beetles and Minis are revered. When it comes to America, it's more about specific-make fashion and bling than year-to-year familiarity. One's less likely to speak of Chevy Impalas at large than of a, say, '64 Chevy Impala. Meanwhile, Model Ts and K-Car econoboxes were/are stigmatized as utilitarian drudges...

Back