News   May 03, 2024
 592     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 

standard size of rooms in new builds?

asiancolossus

Member Bio
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious that bedrooms are getting smaller and smaller in these new builds. Is there a standard size of a master bedroom and a second bedroom? It seems that once you put a queen size bed even into a master these days, you have not much room left to even walk around. Seems that masters (of course I'm not counting the luxury over a million set) are at most 13 x 10 and second rooms run around 10 x 10, is this about right?

It is pretty obvious that bedrooms are getting smaller and smaller in these new builds. Is there a standard size of a master bedroom and a second bedroom? It seems that once you put a queen size bed even into a master these days, you have not much room left to even walk around. Seems that masters (of course I'm not counting the luxury over a million set) are at most 13 x 10 and second rooms run around 10 x 10, is this about right?

My unit was built in 2006.

Master Bedroom is 13.3x10. I have a queen size bed in there. There is enough room at the foot of the bed. More than enough room on the sides.

My second bedroom is 8.6x8.6. I have a queen size murphy bed. When the bed is down, I can not open the door fully. There is very little room to walk all around.

I hope this helps.

Thanks ka, my master is about the same size as yours. When you put your queen in there, what other furniture do you have, nightstands, drawers, etc? I'm thinking Im going to have to get a floor to ceiling shelving unit!

I have a 625 sq.ft. 1 bedroom that I rent out which was completed in 2005: Bedroom size 9 x 12 square feet with a separate walk in closet.

Also have a 1200 sq.ft. 2 bedroom / den same building. MBR is 10 x 12 sq. feet and the 2nd bedroom is 8.5 x 10.5 sq.ft.

Even in my Shangrila purchase of an 1100 sq.ft. 1 bedroom/den the MBR is 12 feet 5 inches x 11 feet 3 inches wide with closet space over and above that. The den is 9 ft 3 inches by 11 feet 10 inches long. (No closet but a stacker washer dryer in one corner taking about 2 and 1/2 feet x 4 feet away from the room.

Hope this info helps. So I think personally that bedrooms are a bit smaller than initially suggested.

Thanks ka, my master is about the same size as yours. When you put your queen in there, what other furniture do you have, nightstands, drawers, etc? I'm thinking Im going to have to get a floor to ceiling shelving unit!

Not too much furniture. Night tables on the side and I book shelf on the side. I had coverted half of the 'big' closet( about 7 ft' wide) into shelves. I store clothes etc in there.

Floor to ceiling unit should help. Choose one of the sides. If you were to choose the side towards the feet, then, you will not have too much of walking space to go around.

My daughter in the 10 x 12 foot room has a wall mounted TV, a double bed with 2 night tables, and a chest of drawers. Fits and looks good. More furniture would overwhelm. Also, the bed has storage drawers underneath for additional storage. She is lucky as she has a walk in and also a regular closet over and above the 10 x 12 sq.ft. described.

Thanks interested. Looks like I'm really going to have to be creative with space. Even wall mounted TV would need a shelving unit for the DVD player and discs, no? Storage drawers under the bed is a good idea. I'm not sure these new condos are good for a packrat like myself...sigh...

Thanks interested. Looks like I'm really going to have to be creative with space. Even wall mounted TV would need a shelving unit for the DVD player and discs, no? Storage drawers under the bed is a good idea. I'm not sure these new condos are good for a packrat like myself...sigh...

Yes, if you wish to connect other than directly to the cable for basic cable in the bedroom (she has a more involved converter box for more channels in the living room) the concept won't work.

With 10 feet of width, there is not enough room from the head of the bed to the foot to place a storage drawer. It will be very tight to walk around the bed. Just warning. If you could put the storage drawer to the side at the corner, it might work.

problem is that the window is on one side, and is at the end of the length of the room, the other end being the door. Trying to figure out if I should put my head board against the window which would NOT be ideal, I'll have to see if I can put it sideways as close to the window as possible and see if there is enough wall space left between the bed and the door. I haven't moved in yet, but trying to figure it all out...

problem is that the window is on one side, and is at the end of the length of the room, the other end being the door. Trying to figure out if I should put my head board against the window which would NOT be ideal, I'll have to see if I can put it sideways as close to the window as possible and see if there is enough wall space left between the bed and the door. I haven't moved in yet, but trying to figure it all out...

If I understand your description; you have 13 feet of length when you enter and 10 of width. That should work really well. You could a Queen as Ka1 suggests on the 13 foot wall with the 2 end tables. Put the dresser unit near the window on the wall since the window is off to one side. Dressers are shallow about 16-18 inches deep and if 3 or 4 feet wide should go well against the wall. You walk around the base of the bed. You probably could even manage a chair in front of the window.

You would be suprised at how much goes in 10 x 12 feet as I was suprised by my daughter's 10 x 12 foot room.

Was just looking at my floorplan again. The master is 13 feet by 9 foot 3 inches so it is narrow. However, there are two closets on each side on the other end of the room opposite the window. Do the dimensions include the closets? If so then my usable space is a lot less than the 13 feet.

Was just looking at my floorplan again. The master is 13 feet by 9 foot 3 inches so it is narrow. However, there are two closets on each side on the other end of the room opposite the window. Do the dimensions include the closets? If so then my usable space is a lot less than the 13 feet.

Usually they show arrows to show from where to where they are measuring. If there are 2 closets but deeper wall in between, probably it is the largest dimension and you will lose about 2 and 1/2 feet. It is difficult to know without seeing the actual design.
Like Eug, I don't want to download their program. Maybe you could post the actual design?

My condo had a 10x13 master. It was OK for a queen, but somewhat tight with two night tables, and a dresser in there on one side. It would be perfect with a double though. Unfortunately, I find a double too small for two people.

10x10 is best suited for a single bed, or just as an office. You can get a double in there though if you have no other furniture in there aside from a night table.

Back