328     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

St Clair West

St. Clair/Silverthorn Library rebuild

https://www.strattonarchitects.com

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/renovations/st-clair-silverthorn-renovation.jsp

1dec58_468626f5136044d2b458d4777e53b0f9.webp

20180729_085032.jpg

Attachments

• 20180729_085032.jpg
    20180729_085032.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 1,736
Does anyone have any information about the Front Door development at Innes and Calidonia. As a few of us know, its been sitting empty for a long time now.
I know the city had a meeting and showed plans regarding the parkett that will be going in.
Recently there is activity with construction machinery and it looks like they are prepping the grounds.

The property at 1613 St. Clair West, SW corner at Caledonia is listed for sale and as a redevelopment opportunity. Although, the site does not include the Dairy Freeze space that fronts onto the corner.

There's an interesting new indie coffee shop and cafe on St. Clair in the Stockyards area called the Stockyards Grind. On the outside, it almost looks like an abandoned storefront. It's hard to tell that there's a business there unless you happen to walk by on the sidewalk in front of it. But on the inside, it's a charming coffee house that celebrates the area's railway history in its decor. I hope it survives the pandemic.

I was looking at old maps of the pre-1997 amalgamation Toronto region and I was surprised to see that the City of York included the Humewood and Cedarvale neighbourhoods. With the century-old homes and tree-lined streets, I naturally assumed they were in the old City of Toronto limits.

Was there much Italian or Southern European spillover into Humewood and Cedarvale in the 1970s and 80s, or were the neighborhoods largely middle-class WASP?

I was looking at old maps of the pre-1997 amalgamation Toronto region and I was surprised to see that the City of York included the Humewood and Cedarvale neighbourhoods. With the century-old homes and tree-lined streets, I naturally assumed they were in the old City of Toronto limits.

Was there much Italian or Southern European spillover into Humewood and Cedarvale in the 1970s and 80s, or were the neighborhoods largely middle-class WASP?

The Italian and later on Portuguese communities have traditionally formed a core along St. Clair west of Oakwood, and also up along Oakwood heading north until Eglinton and so on. Likely there would've been some spillover onto the side streets on the western edge of Humewood and Cedarvale.

The remaining portion of population here likely would've been WASP, and then Jewish along Bathurst and the section towards Eglinton.

Nowadays, there's a large Filipino presence in the Humewood area, especially along the Vaughan Road section beginning at St. Clair.

Back