News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

St. Anne's Anglican Church (St. Annes, ?s, ?)

Of course this fire, and any other fire, whether arson or not, is a tragedy but we Christians are not the “most targeted “ group in Canada. Some of us need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

This is one instance where I think even the artwork should be replicated and restored - it is integral to the interior.

AoD
With one revision. Any rebuild without the Anglican Church or any other denomination's financial commitment should not replicate the obvious Christian iconography.

With one revision. Any rebuild without the Anglican Church or any other denomination's financial commitment should not replicate the obvious Christian iconography.

The Group of Seven works, which were the arguable jewel in the proverbial crown here, had religious iconography.

I don't see how one can remove that and claim to be restoring what was lost.

I'm not religious and would be happy to see a restored building as a public library branch (no offense to any congregants/adherents) but the art is what it is, must like the architecture (the building form is arguably expressly religious).

One must, more or less, take it as it is.

The changes that come in any rebuild should be about fire suppression/resistance and accessibility.

I am not too hung up on it - the iconography is an essential part of the art; and supporting the rebuilding of a church and then getting nit-picky about the reality of the fact that it is one would feel a little disingenuous. I'd argue a far better condition for public support is public access outside church-related uses.

AoD

The Group of Seven works, which were the arguable jewel in the proverbial crown here, had religious iconography.

I don't see how one can remove that and claim to be restoring what was lost.

I'm not religious and would be happy to see a restored building as a public library branch (no offense to any congregants/adherents) but the art is what it is, must like the architecture (the building form is arguably expressly religious).

One must, more or less, take it as it is.

The changes that come in any rebuild should be about fire suppression/resistance and accessibility.
There was a famous church of ancient pedigree somewhere in Europe that kept updating their reliefs to even in include astronauts in the back of my mind somewhere. But I can't think for the life of me what church that was...

...but if I wasn't just dreaming this, it would be a fine example of what could be done in the restoration here.

There was a famous church of ancient pedigree somewhere in Europe that kept updating their reliefs to even in include astronauts in the back of my mind somewhere. But I can't think for the life of me what church that was...

...but if I wasn't just dreaming this, it would be a fine example of what could be done in the restoration here.

That would not be the Group of Seven works anymore.

If one wishes to simply brush out history with which one disagrees or are uncomfortable............ok.

I just think we need to make clear that if we do that we're going to destroy a good chunk of classical art out there in the name of that.

I also suspect many adherents of different faiths and cultures may take a far more dim view of that than some would here.

A few points:
The church very likely has insurance. I am not an Anglican but in my own denomination, insurance of the building is actually required by church law. I do not know why it would be very different for Anglicans. A major part of the cost would probably be covered by insurance. I hope it was paid up and adequate!

The church does not belong to the local congregation alone but to the diocese. The bishop and diocesan authorities will have a say in decisions re rebuilding. There may also be diocesan or even denominational funds available.

The worshippers in the parish give offerings Sunday by Sunday. That won’t stop because of this tragedy. Also, many older churches have endowment funds from bequests etc. over the years. Obviously I don’t know if this is the case with St. Anne’s. In any case, any such funds would certainly not cover the costs of rebuilding. But some money may be there.

I expect that church authorities would weigh very carefully the matter of accepting money from the government precisely because there might be strings attached. I have no idea how such a conversation would work out, of course. But I would expect the conversation to take place if government funds are a possibility.

I was told when I was in the church that St. Anne’s considers welcoming the community to its formerly lovely facilities to be a key part of its mission.

I am part of a different Christian tradition and have no say in any of this. But the idea of brushing out the Christian nature of the artwork of the church seems to me as destructive of the art itself as, say, a fire. I think that the assertion that many religious people of a variety of sorts would find the idea troubling and offensive is correct.

Way off topic: a fire in an Anglican Church is the central event of a chapter in Stephen Leacock’s classic and very funny piece of Canadiana, Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town.

You don't need to get to Europe - National Cathedral in DC:

But the context is hugely different, and not necessarily appropriate here.

AoD

Incredibly sad to see.

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 1.29.10 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 1.28.51 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 1.28.05 PM.jpg

Back