News   Jul 26, 2024
 818     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

SRT Shutdown: How do we deal with it?

Too much shoulda, coulda, woulda.....

And why should a BD extension cost up to $2 billion in a corridor that already exists. Back in 1996 the Downsview extension only cost $117 million, although that's much shorter and using past money.

And why should a BD extension cost up to $2 billion in a corridor that already exists. Back in 1996 the Downsview extension only cost $117 million, although that's much shorter and using past money.
Is this a surprise? A project that wouldn't be completed to 2016 costs $333 million/km for underground subway compared to a project that was completed in 1996 was only $60 million/km for mostly above ground?

Metrolinx has been using a construction inflation rate of 5% in their estimates, which is typical for the last 20 years or so. So if you inflate the Downsview extension cost for 20 years, it would be $220 million/km ... in a project that included no new vehicles or yard expansion, and was mostly at grade ... I don't think they even used a TBM on the underground section.

All seems pretty consistent to me.

But even by those calculations it would cost at least $500 million by todays standards with working with an already existing corridor.

I say f*ck it, and provide better local service on the existing Stoufville Line with a branch off to Scarborough. Besides a BD extension would still make people sit through like 25 stations just to get to Bloor/Yonge and then transfer again to get downtown.

Quick question: When is the SRT scheduled to shut down? I haven't been on it in years and I want to make sure that I ride it one last time before its gone.

Fall 2015

Back