Square One Shopping Centre

To be fair, Tim's is in a really bad location in Square One. It's really out of the way.

They had a second location in the food court a few years ago didn't they?

Anyway I added the guy to linkedin, and going to contact him re a co-op job at the company for my brother this summer, if people want me to ask him any questions regarding the mall or something let me know. Keep in mind he has only been there a couple years out of school so not sure how much he truly knows.

Anyway I added the guy to linkedin, and going to contact him re a co-op job at the company for my brother this summer, if people want me to ask him any questions regarding the mall or something let me know. Keep in mind he has only been there a couple years out of school so not sure how much he truly knows.
They moved from the food court to their current location. The food court location always had crazy lines, and created a block in the circulation.

Tims is looking for a second location, upper level. There will be a 2nd Starbucks (in Target) according to him, so guess that makes sense they are trying to compete with the Mcdonalds in Walmart now another Starbucks. They have offered less than the asking for the Jonny Rockets spot, but that was some time ago.
-that is all I got out of him.

Given this a low traffic flow area, rent should be low in the first place. Its dead most of the time and always wonder about the theater helpping this area.

Only been to that theater once since it open as I was going to the AMC theater the rest of the time for the free shows, pop and popcorn. Now AMC is gone, may visit this one more if any good movies come out.

Then this is what you get for changing the original design that was under construction when ownership change hands.

Where Tim is now is not a great location, but deals better with the long line ups.

Given this a low traffic flow area, rent should be low in the first place. Its dead most of the time and always wonder about the theater helpping this area.

Only been to that theater once since it open as I was going to the AMC theater the rest of the time for the free shows, pop and popcorn. Now AMC is gone, may visit this one more if any good movies come out.

Then this is what you get for changing the original design that was under construction when ownership change hands.

Where Tim is now is not a great location, but deals better with the long line ups.

What was the original design of the expansion?

The area is always dead, I walk into that part of the mall (I am in condo just to the west of it), its just a walk through no real reason to stop. Plus there is no real entrance way to parking lot, you have the small one with the escalators going up but that is going to bring in minimal traffic. A tims would help, people would seek it out to a point, especially if its on the main level. The movies I am sure would be busier at night, most people wouldn't want to watch a movie mid-day, its usually a evening/night thing for most people. I would love to see the theater convert to a Simons from Quebec or a HR2 but doubt that would ever happen.

IIRC the original design was 3 levels of retail. One of which would have been where some of parking is underground now (between the HomeSense and the rest of the mall, where the MTO is). Something like that anyway.

Would love to see the original designs!

Square One must be thinking of doing some expansion soon. Although I think they need to work on getting some better retailers, and less of those stores you've never heard of.

Would love to see the original designs!

Square One must be thinking of doing some expansion soon. Although I think they need to work on getting some better retailers, and less of those stores you've never heard of.

The guy I met said they were looking at a complete redo of the food court, but that is all prelim, but its more just talking than anything else. There are 2 new condo towers that just finished off, 2 more on Confederation and one on Burhanthorpe 2 mins down road so you will have a small influx of population but I don't really think the mall needs an expansion, maybe just a reno to update the look.

I wouldn't even know what stores they would bring in? I mentioned before I would like to see HR2 or simons move in, but that would mean Sears or the Theatre would move out. Regular stores what would be missing? Some teen stuff like Forever 21 or Joe Fresh, maybe get a Microsoft store or try to bring Nike back or under armour in? I would like to see a condo furniture store but they could prob never afford the rent. The high end stuff will always go to sherway, Square one will always be a mid-mall.

They should consider building up like the rest of the area; add a couple of office towers attached right to the building to make Square One a more mixed-use development. Maybe throw a hotel in too.

You just need to go up the 403/410 to see what stores Square One is missing.

Bramalea has Joe Fresh, Hollister, Forever XXI...all of which would fit into the Square One demographic. For stores like that though finding good space is difficult. Look at how they had to juggle space for Zara.

This mall, as big as it is already, should absolutely be expanded by at least 200K sq. ft., by adding a third level (as i'm assuming there is minimal room left to expand outward). Furthermore, they should do a complete reno of the mall and ensure there are no dead spaces or corridors. Despite the expansion of Sherway, Yorkdale and Bramalea, both this mall (Sq. One) and Erin Mills Town Centre can 'afford' to expand by several hundred thousand sq. ft. each...there's enough demand. One thing I must say is that the expansions of food courts in malls like Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, etc. are not enough...instead of having 18-24 places in the food court, these malls, including Sq. One. can easily accommodate 30 outlets and still be viable (financially speaking). Please note that I also prefer nice street shopping like in downtown Toronto, Europe and select parts of South America and East Asia but at the end of the day, the suburbs are mall havens and the GTA is still somewhat underserved (select parts of the 905).

They should consider building up like the rest of the area; add a couple of office towers attached right to the building to make Square One a more mixed-use development. Maybe throw a hotel in too.

This whole area needs to be 100% redevelop and I would do this.

Phase 1:
Stage 1: Remove all surface parking north of Walmart to Sq One Dr and east of Sears with 5 levels of underground parking that will reach street grade next to the current loading dock entrance. A new loading dock area to be built to replace the current Walmart one as well the new expansion.

Stage 2: A new 4 level mall be built on top of this new underground parking structure with 6m minimum ceiling height. A new food court to replace the current one and be larger. The north east corner would see the relocation of the current Sears or what it may come in the future. Sq One Drive will be reduce to a single lane in Phase 2, but all building face along Sq One Dr will have 6m sidewalk with entrance to the retail. Whole Food and pads will be relocated to this new expansion. The expansion will go over Walmart to the point you have a 30-50's office tower above it as well the north east corner. The roof area would be a green park area between the 2 towers. Rest of the roof area would see 8 floors of residential on top of the mall. The mall walkway will have large skylight over them. There would be an out door skating rink on the roof.

Phase 3: Once Whole Food and the pads are relocated to Phase 1, that area will see another 4 level mall expansion including underground parking as Phase 1 with 100% glass walkway over Sq One Dr that includes the floors. The east side of this expansion will see the building of a new Transit Hub on various levels to meet the ridership needs of 125,000 riders daily. On top of the north east corner will see a sloping hotel/office/condo with a height of 100 floors with an observation tower at the top. The mall roof will see more green park space.

Phase 4: The current transit terminal would be remove to allow Station Gates to connect to Square One Dr. This block would see 2 k-12 schools holding 12,000 kids as well a community centre with an Olympia swimming pool, 2 hockey pads with one being Olympia as well a number of gyms. This would be the recreation site to house a pool hall, 5-10 pin bowling and so on. Again 4-8 floors of residential on top of it.

Phase 5: This would see the removal of the existing Sears store and the north mall area between Sears and Target. The existing road off Rathburn would be extended south with provision to connect to Burnhamthorpe Rd under Phase 6. The same thing will happen here as in Phase 1 with provision to go south in Phase 6. A new Target store will be built in this phase as well another anchor store or 2.

Phase 6: Rest of the existing mall will be torn down and replace with the new extension as Phase 1. This will include the existing parking structures and the relocation of the Bay. This will be the last expansion for the mall as well seeing the 2 north-south streets connecting to City Centre Dr. There would be provision for taller office and condo towers in this phase.

Phase 7: This Phase is in the north-west corner that would house Movie Theaters, bars, entertainment, hotel, convention centre, higher condo towers and etc. A few churches can be added to this area or other phases.

Rathburn Rd would see a transit corridor on the south side to service the area as well the new Transit Hub. A single lane with bike lanes as well wide sidewalks will replace what there now. City Centre Dr on the east side will see the same thing with transit being on the west side of the road with LRT in it. The centre platform will run the full block.

Phase 8, 9 Will take up the rest of the current block with residential ranging from 6-60's with 30% parking space for them.

Phase 10: Would see the current pads by Hurontario St replace by Residential and office with 30% or less in parking space. A new fire station would be built there also.

Phase 11: Would see the existing area for the movie theater replace with a sport field for everyone as well a park, playground for kids, even though the roof of the mall will have some on them.

Phase 12: This would see the lands on the north side of Burnhamthorpe being redevelop 100% with new north-south street going through them and all existing towers being replace with street edge tall towers with retail at grade. Again, parking would be at 30% with the sidewalk pedestrian friendly. It can also be a mix area.

Last edited:
This block would see 2 k-12 schools holding 12,000 kids

So which 12-15 schools will you be closing as a result? (Perhaps even more if the average school size closest to city centre is smaller.) How do you think those people will feel about losing their neighbourhood schools and, in the case of the elementary students, being bused to a school in City Centre instead of walking to their local school?

So which 12-15 schools will you be closing as a result? (Perhaps even more if the average school size closest to city centre is smaller.) How do you think those people will feel about losing their neighbourhood schools and, in the case of the elementary students, being bused to a school in City Centre instead of walking to their local school?

You are building schools to deal with the kids in the so call downtown once its fully built out. If you got 200,000 people living in this area, their kids need a place to go to school than being bus out.

The days of building schools like they are done now have to come to an end and be part of a development.

One only has to look at Northern Secondary School that was 100% rebuilt as a larger school with a new sport field/play area when Tridel bought the land to build 2 condo towers. Everyone was a winner on this project.

As long as you got 2 school system that should be combine, you end up wasting a lot of spaces and resources do so and why I call for 2 school here. If students want to go to Sheridan, its a short walk to it.

Why do I need to close 12-15 schools when 9-12 students will take up 6-8,000 spaces with the rest going to K-8 with excess space encase there more than the norm for them. The excess space as well the school can be used for other things after school hours as well when school is not in cession or until there a need for it. Think for the future and plan for it today.

At the same time, there are development taking place to the west and soon to the south outside this area that will be in walking distance to these schools also. The current K-8 school have been expanded a number of times and still need more space today to meet the demand.

I think your estimates of demand for schooling in that area are inflated. On top of that, the province isn't going to fund construction without closing a number of other schools in each of the two affected boards, thus forcing kids from other areas to be bused there. On top of that, there is the added cost of building new facilities vs using existing, underserved ones.

Just on the secondary side, I could see Applewood, TL Kennedy, Woodlands, John Cabot and Father Goetz significantly affected by this; perhaps more. Obviously there will be a demand for schooling in the new developments but the secondary demands will almost certainly be done through boundary shifts in existing schools where numbers are starting to drop. Elementary makes more sense in that area because of limits on travel imposed by the boards but not in the numbers you envision.

Back