News   May 09, 2024
 511     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 865     1 

spire vs. vu condos

kondoz

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can anyone give a good comparison of the two buildings? I was looking at moving into Vu and was comparing it in price per sq foot to Spire.

From another thread it seems spire is around 525 to 575.

Would Vu also fit into this range?

I know the units I've contemplated at the Vu include 10 foot ceilings with the usual upgrades. The only suggested downside is not having the potential view that spire has.

I was focusing on a 1 plus bed or 2 bed.

Any thought would be appreciated.

I have been in both buildings and you'll find great units in each. For the most part, the units in Spire are the same on virtually every floor while they'll be more varied at Vu. At Vu, I saw an over 700+ sq. ft unit with an awful floor plan and a 624 sq. ft unit with a great floor plan. At Spire, I would guess that all the floor plans are pretty decent. Since you'll be able to view units in both, just take the floor plan into consideration.

As for location, each are simply on either side of the park. Spire is closer to the subway so that's a plus.

As for views, right now availability at Vu appears to be overlooking the north. While not the coveted view overlooking the park which sold out first, they can still be decent views though some will have a colourful view of the Petro Canada gas station.

As for psf, a 575 sq. ft unit I saw at Spire was priced at $568 psf. I have a sheet at home with current resale units at Vu and I believe you can get something for a little over $500 psf w/ parking, if I recall correctly. I know the 624 sq. ft unit I saw was $465 psf but has no parking. Of course, you would have occupancy fees for awhile first.

Thanks urbanvigor. That helps a lot. I think once I visit Vu I'll be able to compare. I've been to Spire many times but not to Vu.

Spire v Vu...I hope you have not bought anything at the Spire.

We just sold our condo (over 1400 sq ft) at the Spire. We 'bought in' from plans in the project's infancy. When we did our inspection we have over 50 deficiencies...50, half of which were major. It took C0ntext over a year to correct them. Having lived in the buidling for over two years, other deficiencies began to emerge both in our unit and the common areas. The elevators for one are going to give out within 10 years. Context cut too many corners in getting this project done, and it's showing. I'd never buy a into a Context project ever again. Do consider the the Vu, as we did, you won't regret it.

Can anyone give a good comparison of the two buildings? I was looking at moving into Vu and was comparing it in price per sq foot to Spire.

From another thread it seems spire is around 525 to 575.

Would Vu also fit into this range?

I know the units I've contemplated at the Vu include 10 foot ceilings with the usual upgrades. The only suggested downside is not having the potential view that spire has.

I was focusing on a 1 plus bed or 2 bed.

Any thought would be appreciated.

I moved in Vu for a few months and this building is a very well managed. The south tower condo board is very on top of things (passed a few by-laws to protect the owners) and the new property management team is great. The cleaning staff will greet you in the hallway, but the security guards do have room to improve.

The units that is facing St. James park has breath taken view and the upper floor in both south and north towers have harbour view. The finishes are decent and Aspen Ridge did spend some money on the green design. In long team I think the maint. fee would remain low and the partial brick/glass wall would keep the building look new.

We lived at the Spire for just over a year. The one thing that really bugged me was that you had to switch elevators from the parking elevators to the main elevators. Gets noisy on windy days. Other than that, it's a really nice building. Great views all around. Nice layouts. Loved the proximity to the TTC subway, DVP, St Lawrence Market. You can BBQ on your balcony.

Both buildings have a lot to offer. Certainly the views from the upper floors of the Spire are fantastic. If buying a lower floor I would probably go with Vu,

Back