News   May 02, 2024
 519     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 309     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 279     0 

Spate of Pedestrian Deaths in GTA

That doesn't mean that things shouldn't be done.

The pedestrian crossings are dangerous. Am I the only driver who will admit to having on occasion not noticed that one was flashing? They are pretty obvious in night-tiem, but quite frankly in bright sunlight, the things aren't as apparent as they should be.

The streetcar stops are a problem. Am I the only person who will admit to having once missed a streetcar stopped beside me had it's doors open? Even though more often than not, I'm the one in the streetcar cursing at the drivers who don't stop? At the same location!

Some of the intersections are just dangerous. Am I the only one who will admit to have accidently entered the streetcar ROW at the Bathurst/Lakeshore/Fleet intersection? Even though I'm generally familiar with the lay-out.

As a pedestrian, sometimes I think I'd be safer if I carried a cane with a nice sharp metal point on the end, so I could swing it around whenver I'm crossing the road, and scratch the cars that come too close.

How come other similiar large cities such as Montreal and New York don't allow drivers to make a right on red. Am I the only pedestrian who has ever been hit by a car that made a full stop at a red light, and then started turning and hit me, even though I was crossing on a full green? (fortunately, you don't get hurt by a car that has only had 2 feet to start moving ...)

And these 40-km arteries like Davenport. I live near one. I routinely see cars heading down there at 60 km/hr. And I certainly see faster on occasion. I work on a street with a 50-km/hr limit. I swear I've seen closer to 100 km/hr. Have I ever seen the police pull over a car for speeding ... no ... heck, the worst offenders seem to be off-duty cops coming out of the police facility on the same street.

We need safer designs. Safer streets. And perhaps more importantly, real enforcement of the existing regulations.

I think the recent spate of pedestrian deaths is nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence. When it's over, we might have 6 consecutive months without a fatality - that's how these things usually play out.

What is also unfortunate is how this is becoming rapidly politicized; our built environment, driver awareness and car culture are being blamed for a rate of pedestrian fatalities that is about 7 times higher than normal. While our city does change, the built environment has not become 7 times more hostile to pedestrians than what it was a year ago; there aren't suddenly 7 times as many cars driving quickly, nor are drivers 7 times more aggressive on the road nor 7 times less aware of their surroundings.

i totally agree. there have been similar 'epidemics' in the past, the one that stands out in my mind is the wheels flying off trucks on the 401 that came out of nowhere a few years back, became an epidemic if you believe the Toronto Star, and promptly disappeared again

Basically one year is not enough to analyze a trend. I'll second the point that before we start blaming this or that we need to consider what has changed and what is changing. I think that while the speed of vehicles is a factor in the harm inflicted on the pedestrian, I doubt average speeds on Toronto roads are increasing. Infact in all likelihood we are driving slower and slower because of increases in traffic densities. However, perhaps increasing traffic volumes are creating more dangerous environments.

Anecdotally as a driver in the old city of Toronto I have noticed a marked jump in two factors, traffic volumes and lower pedestrial acuity. I routinely see people listening to ipods and talking on cell phones who cross into traffic and even cross through red lights without any understanding that there are vehicles with the right-of-way coming towards them. It scares the crap out of me. More cars and more people not paying attention seems a recipe for more serious injury and death I suspect.

i totally agree. there have been similar 'epidemics' in the past, the one that stands out in my mind is the wheels flying off trucks on the 401 that came out of nowhere a few years back, became an epidemic if you believe the Toronto Star, and promptly disappeared again

I'll join the crowd who go with the default assumption that this is within the bounds of random variation.

In fact, you can see the media indulging in positive reinforcement already. They talk about pedestrian fatalities in Toronto being high, but then they'll do a story on a pedestrian death in Oshawa and casually shift the terms from Toronto to the GTA.

Slack minded group think coupled with a disinterest in critical study of the facts. This is the sort of thing that supports the 'tough on crime' agenda and our fear of terrorism.

Just think, if the driver in one of those accidents said he was on a Jihad to run down infidels, we'd be talking about army snipers at intersections and 'no drive' lists. Never mind that you'd still be 1000's of times more likely to run over in a genuine accident.

After it became a story -- about 6 deaths in -- I would have expected people to be more consciously careful when walking or driving. The bizarre thing is that it's continued.

And I've been wishing for a long time that cops would start actually patrolling dangerous drivers. It's considered normal in this city to break the speed limit, and to make fast right turns on red lights (you're supposed to stop first, fyi). This is a problem.

1. It is dark out there at this time of year.
2. No snow.
3. Dark clothes (hoodies, parkas, or toques blocking vision as well) .
4. Wide streets (built for the car, not pedestrians).
5. Traffic signal count down not designed for the elderly or handicapped.
6. No pedestrian button on the island in the middle of the road.
7. Talking (either driver or pedestrian) with person on cell phone.
8. Streets are designed for 10 km/h over the posted speed limit, not for the posted speed limit. (BTW. 400 highways are designed for 120 km/h or 10 km/h over the old original 70 mph or 110 km/h).

The other angle is that when you drive a 4,000 lbs vehicle, there has to be some measure of care and control; car manufacturers brag about all the improvements they have done to braking technology; five-star safety ratings, etc...except if you're hit by one of them!

Anyway, at least four of these people have been hit by right-turning vehicles. This lady and another person were hit by left-turning vehicles. Three by a bus, at least one by a streetcar.

I recall from the story that this man was crossing on a green when a truck turning right rolled over him.

Maybe they should enact a special turning cycle at the traffic lights, like how right turns are banned on a red in Montreal. Personally, I've noticed that drivers turning right at green lights are extremely reluctant to stop and yield to pedestrians as they should be. They practically hit their bumpers on your knee before (if) they stop.

4,000 pounds? Most vehicles are quite a bit over that these days, if you include fuel and passengers and cargo inside.

1. It is dark out there at this time of year.
2. No snow.
3. Dark clothes (hoodies, parkas, or toques blocking vision as well) .
4. Wide streets (built for the car, not pedestrians).
5. Traffic signal count down not designed for the elderly or handicapped.
6. No pedestrian button on the island in the middle of the road.
7. Talking (either driver or pedestrian) with person on cell phone.
8. Streets are designed for 10 km/h over the posted speed limit, not for the posted speed limit. (BTW. 400 highways are designed for 120 km/h or 10 km/h over the old original 70 mph or 110 km/h).

None of this was different last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, etc. etc.

In other words, none of this is responsible for the high volume of pedestrian deaths.

Even if there were 'causes' to this trend, the evidence you put forth is very one-sided and value-laden from an anti-car perspective; 100% of the blame rests on drivers and/or the driver's response to our ostensibly autocentric built form and none of the blame is placed on the behaviour of the pedestrians.

pedestrians should assume that all vehicles on the road are trying to kill them. i think too many people are under the impression that the other person is paying attention. also, there's way too much trust that the other person will obey the rules.

While I agree that any pedestrian has a common-sense responsibility to look out for himself, whether or not he has the right of way, I do think there is an underlying sense of entitlement that rules the behaviour of car drivers, even if this entitlement is often subconscious. While logic dictates that in a collision between metal and human the metal will always win, the rules of our roads do not assign right-of-way based on vehicle size. Some drivers use the "I'm bigger" fact as a justification for bullying their way through when the right of way is not theirs.

Often drivers seem reluctant to stop or slow down for pedestrians even when the pedestrians have the clear right of way. They make quick right turns when the light turns green, cutting off pedestrians who have the valid right-of-way before they can start to cross. When pedestrians do cross legally, drivers glare, sigh, and nudge their car forward into the crosswalk in a threatening manner, as if urging them to get out of the crosswalk sooner. Often drivers defy attempts at eye contact, deliberately avoiding it because they know that once they make eye contact they will have to yield way. Many cars these days have tinted reflective windows and windshields that make it almost impossible to make eye contact with a driver in some lighting.

The underlying dynamic in many of these situations seems to be that people in cars are important and in a hurry, whilst pedestrians are relatively unimportant recreationalists. From the comments I've read on this subject recently some seem to believe that pedestrians should cower on street corners, waiting through repeated light cycles until they are lucky enough to find an opportunity to cross safely. Apparently, the legal right-of-way does not apply to pedestrians because they are smaller.

The dilemma for those who are primarily pedestrians is to find a way to claim our right-of-way whilst not being killed. Pedestrians should be alert and look all ways before crossing and never assume the drivers will obey the laws. But, on the other hand, we need to stick up for our rights or we will lose them entirely.

Simple facts that seem to be lost:

- Most pedestrian/vehicle collisions happen at intersections, not during between-block crossings, which seem to be getting all the attention.

- Crossing where there isn't a light is not necessarily jaywalking, if it is done safely and not too near a marked crossing.

- When hundreds or thousands of people do "jaywalk" in the same place every day, perhaps there is a problem with the design of the streets. Perhaps light cycles need to be adjusted, or a crosswalk needs to be added, even if it means inconveniencing or slowing cars. Why is the onus always on the pedestrian to absorb the inconvenience?

- While statistical blame for pedestrian deaths is more or less split evenly between drivers and pedestrians, when pedestrians do stupid things they endanger only themselves. When drivers are aggressive or inattentive they endanger hundreds of other innocent lives. This key fact is why I believe the onus is on drivers to be careful, be aware, be respectful, and slow down a bit.

Last edited:
Often drivers seem reluctant to stop or slow down for pedestrians even when the pedestrians have the clear right of way. They make quick right turns when the light turns green, cutting off pedestrians who have the valid right-of-way before they can start to cross. When pedestrians do cross legally, drivers glare, sigh, and nudge their car forward into the crosswalk in a threatening manner, as if urging them to get out of the crosswalk sooner.

Do you drive? At some intersections in rush hours it is impossible to turn right without doing what you just described--light turns green and there are no way to find a gap between pedestrians until it turns red and then you can't drive because of traffic... I usually try to eye-contact with people and often it works, they would let you turn. I both drive and walk; understanding either sides is a key to safety.

Simple facts that seem to be lost:
- Most pedestrian/vehicle collisions happen at intersections, not during between-block crossings, which seem to be getting all the attention.

A large proportion, but not most, according to MTO study (http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/walking/pdf/ped_collision_study-full_report.pdf):

Collision Types # of Cases %
Intersection
1. Vehicle turns left while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way at intersection 632 13%
2. Vehicle turns left while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way at intersection 196 4%
3. Vehicle turns right while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way at intersection 422 9%
4. Vehicle turns right while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way at intersection 117 2%
5. Vehicle is going straight through intersection while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way 232 5%
6. Vehicle is going straight through intersection while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way 654 14%
Total at Intersection 2,253 47%
Non-Intersection
8. Pedestrian hit at mid-block location 1,042 22%
9. Pedestrian hit at private driveway 347 7%
10. Pedestrian hit at pedestrian crossover (PXO) 232 5%
11. Pedestrian hit on sidewalk or shoulder 163 3%
Total at Non-Intersection 1,784 37%
Other / Unknown
55. Pedestrian hit in parking lot 508 11%
99. Other / Unknown 230 5%
Total at Other/Unknown Category 738 16%

Living in Mississauga, I actually find it safer to cross illegally at intersections or between interestions than to wait for the green light. About one-thirds the time, I almost get hit by car if I cross legally at an intersection.

Last time I read the MTO design standards, they were designed for 130 km/hr; presumably 80 miles/hr.

Do you drive? At some intersections in rush hours it is impossible to turn right without doing what you just described--light turns green and there are no way to find a gap between pedestrians until it turns red and then you can't drive because of traffic... I usually try to eye-contact with people and often it works, they would let you turn. I both drive and walk; understanding either sides is a key to safety.

I do drive; I commuted several hours a day by car for 10 years before I finally gave it up on it, partly due to the daily frustrations it caused me. I agree that it can be difficult at times, especially downtown, but I still maintain that having to wait is no excuse for endangering pedestrians. If the crosswalk is full of green-light pedestrians and there is traffic, well, that's life. Not an excuse to dodge your way in and risk some other poor person's life so you can get home 10 minutes earlier. And if you can't deal with that challenge, well, there's always the TTC, walking, biking, pogo sticks, etc.

But your point about being a driver is valid. I find that it makes me a more alert pedestrian. I notice many others (including friends who are not drivers) walk out into intersections without glancing over their shoulder for turning cars and it makes me cringe. Ditto for pedestrians who start crossing on stale yellows leaving a turning car trapped in the intersection. If you're not a driver you don't notice these things, apparently.

A large proportion, but not most, according to MTO study (http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/walking/pdf/ped_collision_study-full_report.pdf):

Collision Types # of Cases %
Intersection
1. Vehicle turns left while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way at intersection 632 13%
2. Vehicle turns left while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way at intersection 196 4%
3. Vehicle turns right while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way at intersection 422 9%
4. Vehicle turns right while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way at intersection 117 2%
5. Vehicle is going straight through intersection while pedestrian crosses with right-of-way 232 5%
6. Vehicle is going straight through intersection while pedestrian crosses without right-of-way 654 14%
Total at Intersection 2,253 47%
Non-Intersection
8. Pedestrian hit at mid-block location 1,042 22%
9. Pedestrian hit at private driveway 347 7%
10. Pedestrian hit at pedestrian crossover (PXO) 232 5%
11. Pedestrian hit on sidewalk or shoulder 163 3%
Total at Non-Intersection 1,784 37%
Other / Unknown
55. Pedestrian hit in parking lot 508 11%
99. Other / Unknown 230 5%
Total at Other/Unknown Category 738 16%

Very nice stats, thanks for that, I have bookmarked that URL. I've read the "most collisions happen at intersections" statistic many times without seeing the details. I think my point stands as valid though, because if you remove parking lots and that mysterious "other" category from the data, and restrict it only to collisions that happen on the road (which I think is what this thread focuses on) then you would in fact have solid majority occurring at intersections. I guess my general point is that most pedestrians accidents and deaths don't involve mid-block jaywalkers (though some obviously do).

Last edited:

Back