Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

I feel the same way, above ground is a much better way to go.

Yea but let's keep it consistent now, if you don't like stairs imagine a mix of underground and above ground :)

I've been to calgary, haven't lived there, I can't quite say what I prefer from my 2 or 3 uses of it. I see advantages to both but I did like the idea of being able the see the street.
I find there are lot more stores here though and it makes a little more sense given the subway.

Honestly I'd perfer nothing! But that's just not practical.

After living in Calgary for 5 years, I prefer the +15, as you can see the light of the day, what the weather is like outside, what going on the street and not being an underground rat.

You have less stairs to deal with, compare to what we have.

With downtown it's not very feasible to build a McMall. I don't think anyone wants it done that way. There's already one at Eaton. The other option is underground which I've seen even Seoul has some, albeit not as long as our PATH system. They don't connect. I think I recall Montreal also has an underground mall.

I think the Union station underground mall should do well. They already have tons of traffic there due to the GO trains and people transiting at Union Stn. With a mall there, it may even attract out of towners to take the GO train to shop around. It's also an alternative for tourists since the PATH gets quite confusing to traverse around.

Union Station also has prospective residential shoppers from Ice, Maple Leaf and other condos just yards away.

Not to mention thousands of "residents" heading home to the hinterlands every evening.

Meanwhile, more of the bridge building today:

PwCBridge1.jpg

PwCBridge2.jpg

I thought telus centre and 18 york will be connected underground pathway.. so what is this new bridge ??

Actually this bridge is the new PATH connection between the two buildings (and beyond). The only below ground connections south of Union will be between the Maple Leaf Square block and ICE condos block, while Telus and the rest of Southcore Financial Centre will be above ground.

The connection between Maple Leaf Square and the York Centre (Ãce Condos) just south of here will be underground, but the connection between Telus House and the Southcore Financial Centre has always been planned as an above-ground link. By going over the street, this extension to the PATH system will be connected easily to the Skywalk once the western phases of Southcore are complete.

Any detailed renderings available for the bridge ?

If you get out your magnifying glass and search back through the thread for the renderings, you'll see the following in the lower right corner of three of them:

PwCBridgeRender1.jpg

PwCBridgeRender2.jpg

PwCBridgeRender3.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately it's rather unimaginative, it would have been great if they should have followed the example just a little north on Yonge.

Now they can party make up for it if it'll be lit up like the other bridge in this area but I don't think that'll happen.

Thanks for the renders Interchange! I must have completely missed them way back.

I think the idea of lighting this bridge like the one connecting ACC with Maple Leaf Square would be great for the public streatscape :), but I'd wonder if it might prove to be a driving distraction. I guess we'll soon find out how they're finishing this bridge!

Back