News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 206     2 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 408     0 

So, um, when are condo prices supposed to drop again?

Heh. $694 per square foot. Bargoon. Nah, that's just nuts. What's so great about that building anyway?

It will be interesting to see what the real prices will be in 2010/2011, once the place is actually built.

EDIT:

It says it has a rooftop terrace, which I guess means it's a "penthouse"? However, assuming it is a private rooftop terraced "penthouse" then I can understand a significant price premium, given the height of the building. If that were the case though, the pre-construction price would likely have been pretty high too.

I don't think the unit has a rooftop terrace, I think they're referring to the terrace on the 2nd/3rd floor that both buildings share. Isn't the roof where all the mechanical is anyways?

Are these people on crack !!??!!
Almost $700 PSF ... sure Murano is good but it's not a 'luxury' building by any stretch.

Hell, I'll sell you my place in the St. Lawrence for $500 PSF then ...... a real bargain !

Last edited:
If somebody is telling you stories about the price drop, it is fine you can enjoy it but the fact is I don’t see any price drop in these condos in near future. Economy is still not behaving.
Price drop has already happened in some months, and I predict some more.

However, I predict that a modest drop is likely, unlike some who are predicting a larger drop.

Some more numbers... Teranet March indices:

2004 - 91.87
2005 - 96.57
2006 - 102.87
2007 - 103.69
2008 - 112.40
2009 - 104.68

(Peak was August 2008, at 117.29.)

My guesstimate is ~10% from 2007 levels (similar to 2009 levels), which works out to roughly similar to 2005 levels using the Teranet numbers after the drop, give or take. Teranet arbitrarily designates June 2005 at 100, and all the other numbers are compared against that. 100 would represent a 15% drop from peak.

Last edited:
Are these people on crack !!??!!
Almost $700 PSF ... sure Murano is good but it's not a 'luxury' building by any stretch.

Hell, I'll sell you my place in the St. Lawrence for $500 PSF then ...... a real bargain !

I agree, which was why I was underwhelmed when I saw the interiors. At $600 psf you better be giving me strip laminate throughout, porcelain tiles and undermount sinks. I was really expecting more for the price point.

I dunno, nothing about the condo market surprises me anymore.

I don't mean to come off as being racist, but there is something very odd about some Chinese people and their view of Bay street condos. I remember a few years back when a friend's mother - who lived in Markham and knew nothing about downtown real estate - told me that a condo at College Park would be a great investment because it was such a fancy neighbourhood, and so close to the Trump condo. I didn't know what to say (aside from WTF?) although it turns many other people had the same opinion since the complex seems to be largely populated by 20-something asians with nice cars.

I don't mean to come off as being racist, but there is something very odd about some Chinese people and their view of Bay street condos. I remember a few years back when a friend's mother - who lived in Markham and knew nothing about downtown real estate - told me that a condo at College Park would be a great investment because it was such a fancy neighbourhood, and so close to the Trump condo. I didn't know what to say (aside from WTF?) although it turns many other people had the same opinion since the complex seems to be largely populated by 20-something asians with nice cars.

it may have to do with marketing and perhaps foreigners lack of TO geography.

Bay St. is TO's equivalent of NYC Wall St. so some may extrapolate that anything along Bay St. is valuable.

May numbers:

Unit sales up 2% to 9589, which is more than every single month in 2008.
Average price down 0.6% to $395609.
Median price down 0.3% to $337000.

at 98% of asking
According to that page, for C01 it's:

99% - Detached homes (a whopping 4 of them)
100% - Semis (19)
98% - Condos (325)
105% - Townhouse (15)
99% - Townhouse condo (36)

Last edited:
Response after reading a previous post...

I know u're not trying to be racist, nor am I trying to start a war, this is simply a response to your comment.

"Great Investment" means different things to different people, I invest in Murano for the convenience and it's close to my work, others invest in Murano hoping it'll bring them a good $ return, and don't forget many who invest in other Bay condos so their kids can live close to school campus.

... and nevermind one's nationality, "some Chinese people and their view of Bay street condos" are still just their views. I didn't know what to say neither after reading your post... (maybe the same reaction you had after hearing what your friend's mother said?.. WTF?)

Oh and about the nice cars.. take a scroll along the Yorkville neighbourhood and most people who drive REALLY nice cars are actually non-Asian ;)

Hope I didn't offend someone else with this post.. just my 2 cents.. ok.. maybe 3 cents.. :D

Yes, really.

My guess is that unit will just sit on the market unsold... until they drop the asking price to reasonable levels.

"Great Investment" means different things to different people, I invest in Murano for the convenience and it's close to my work, others invest in Murano hoping it'll bring them a good $ return, and don't forget many who invest in other Bay condos so their kids can live close to school campus.
Bolded part - Therein lies the problem.

Last edited:
what problem?

Yes, really.

My guess is that unit will just sit on the market unsold... until they drop the asking price to reasonable levels.

Bolded part - Therein lies the problem.

Hmm.. not sure why you refer to that statement as a problem?

If ANYBODY wants to pay for ANYTHING they believe is worth their money, the person selling makes a "profit".. a lot of people also benefit from such a transaction, such as renovation retailers and designers, and real rstate agents. I believe it's totally pretentious to TARGET those who pay for what they want with their own money, this is why I respond to the post in the first place.. Afterall, you would prefer the price of your CURRENT house/condo to go up too... right? and if someone is willing to pay you a ridiculous amount of money for it, to sell or not to sell is your decision. That's how any civilized society works, supply and demand.

NO ONE of any nationality in their right mind would invest in a property KNOWING the value will only decrease, so sub-consciously we are all "Investors".. whether you got in BEFORE the price skyrocketed is probably 50% luck and 50% the economy.

Why the other post targeted the Asian 20-something and covers it by stating he/she's not trying to be a racist is my concern.

Looks like I struck a nerve. It is not racist to see that certain types of people have similar traits. Do you consider Russell Peters to be a racist? Ever heard of Stuff White People Like?

Back