News   Jul 31, 2024
 718     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 698     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

snow removal/clearing

I have to agree with the majority that snow removal in Toronto has been very good from my perspective, as major streets and highways from my experience have been usually cleared within hours.

On my residential street, the road is usually cleared within a half day after significant snowfall accumulation and our sidewalks cleared within 24 hours at latest. Further the plows uses those gadgets that largely prevents a big mountain of hard snow from accumulating in front of your driveway as they're plowing. Much appreciated!

And while I agree that it would be better if they removed the snow (e.g., using snow melting machines that are expensive to buy and expensive to use) instead of pushing it aside, it's more of an inconvenience than a big hindrance and I would rather they save the money or divert it to better public use elsewhere.

what area do you live in? I live in east york, and my street is plowed maybe once per month, the snow is NEVER removed.:(

In the past several years I'm noticing that people are shoveling much less - or not at all (sidewalks in particular) and using heaps of giant salt crystals instead. This can't be good for the sidewalks or for the lake with the runoff plus my poor dog is having a hell of a time with the salt on her paws.

However, the salt may hopefully kill the weeds. Too bad the same will happen to the grass.

what area do you live in? I live in east york, and my street is plowed maybe once per month, the snow is NEVER removed.:(
Where in East York? I'm on a side-street south of Danforth (near East York) and I've seen them plow more than once a day during a storm.

Which year are you referring to? There hasn't been enough snow to plow in that area yet this year, except on December 9th.

And they did truck away the snow on my street, both in January 2009 and January 2008.

Those who're martyr to salt/sodium probably don't know how to shovel. Literally. I mean, I can understand if one is infirm, but I see too many people whose body english with a snow shovel is just so unnecessarily burdened and laboured and constipated. Look: it's a simple matter of moving the snow aside...

(nb: I'm not talking about huge dumps, I'm talking about moderate snowfalls)

Liberal amounts of salt is fine, it helps to help prevent people from slipping on sidewalks, driveways and walking routes when the temperature drops. Not shoveling at all and dumping buckets of those large salt crystals in lieu of has got to be bad for the environment along with the damage it does to the concrete over the years. Last summer I was still seeing remnants of salt on some sidewalk areas even after several of those heavy rainstorms that we had.

Where in East York? I'm on a side-street south of Danforth (near East York) and I've seen them plow more than once a day during a storm.

Which year are you referring to? There hasn't been enough snow to plow in that area yet this year, except on December 9th.

And they did truck away the snow on my street, both in January 2009 and January 2008.

I live north of Danforth, I have no complaints about regular service.. I know we had alot of snow the last two years, but, our neighbours and I had to call many times even to get them to plow, they did remove the snow, in about late feb. This was only after a complaint from the fire dept, that they could not access our street...so, it did get bad enough so that fire trucks could not get down our street. My concern in starting the thread was mainly because I was wondering what others were experiencing. It looks like my experience was unique,because according to the other posters Toronto has no less than a stellar snow clearing program.

Last edited:

Back