News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 638     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Sneaky Harper/Conservative attempt to bring down govt

I would rather have a Green government, but realistically, with our voting system, that would be a vote for the Conservative Party.
I would also have a Green government but **** it I'm voting for them anyways.

Martin is rather disappointing. But, I don't think he would do too much damage, which is more than I could say for Harper. Every indication I've received in watching Harper tells me that he and his ideas are bad news.
Yes Martin is disappointing. And about Harper, I'm not too fond of his ideas but I think he would be a better overall leader. He's a lot more confident and decisive than Martin is. All in all, I agree that we have to ditch our voting system.

You've just described Martin there. He was the one who constantly pressured Chretien to step down for the sole purpose of his political goal of becoming Prime Minister. He was also the Finance Minister who was "clueless" about the country's finances. His track record is a lot less impressive than Harper's.

Are you serious? His track record is less impressive than Harper's occasional stints at far-right research institutes and a few years on the opposition benches? Martin took Canada from "Honourary Third World" status to the best fiscal situation in the G7 by far. The only country running a surplus and very soon the lowest debt/GDP ratio. He did this without completely eviscerating the social safety net and welfare state. We still have medicare, the Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, etc. The country was bankrupt!

Martin took Canada from "Honourary Third World" status to the best fiscal situation in the G7 by far. The only country running a surplus and very soon the lowest debt/GDP ratio. He did this without completely eviscerating the social safety net and welfare state. We still have medicare, the Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, etc. The country was bankrupt!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this is all Martin's doing. He's more power hungry than anybody while we're on that.

Mislav:

He's more power hungry than anybody while we're on that.

Any more power hungry than the beloved leader of the opposition, who insisted on having non-confidence motions when the country at large have no taste of an election, just because the timing is opportune?

He's a lot more confident and decisive than Martin is.

Is confidence and decisiveness all there is governance? That's a rather "Alpha male" view of decision making.

GB

MAY1284.pvw.jpg

the cartoon above takes on new meaning when considering Belinda's move yesterday. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." ~Yoda

Any more power hungry than the beloved leader of the opposition, who insisted on having non-confidence motions when the country at large have no taste of an election, just because the timing is opportune?
All leaders are power hungry and that's a fact. However Harper went against the opposing party in order to gain power while Martin tried to overthrow Jean Chretien which happened to be in his own party. There's a difference between the two.
Is confidence and decisiveness all there is governance? That's a rather "Alpha male" view of decision making.
Confidence and decisiveness isn't all there is to goverance but they are important qualities in a leader. I don't know about you but I wouldn't like to have a leader that flip flops according to what the polls say. The Prime Minister should have the balls to stand up for what he believes in and stick by his decision.

"Any more power hungry than the beloved leader of the opposition, who insisted on having non-confidence motions when the country at large have no taste of an election, just because the timing is opportune?"

Don't forget when the Liberals were up to 42%+ before the shit hit the fan...... they were throwing non-budget items into the budget -- hoping to get the conservatives to the point they would vote against it... because they were looking for an early election -- then the wheels fell of -- and they are doing anything to pass the budget and avoid an election call.

That is politics in Canada -- all parties try to force an election when the timing favours them. No difference.

If the Liberals thought they could get away with calling another election - instead of forcing the opposition into voting for no-confidence - when they were leading substantially -- they would have done it.

If people don't want elections then what's the point of having the notion of democracy in the first place? We can't have democracy without elections, so if you don't want an election then don't vote.

Back