News   May 03, 2024
 283     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 229     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 125     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Why not a simple TTC fare (whatever that means) for stations inside Toronto (ie. SmartTrack) and a GO-fare for stations outside of Toronto?
Treat all stations within the 416 as one "station". Travelling from outside the 416 to anywhere within will incur the same fare; be it Exhibition, Agincourt, or Union. Travelling within the 416 will have a flat fare (i.e. $3).

We're too obsessed with the vehicle type anyway. Look at the LRT versus subway debate.

Let's discuss alignment and once that's been determined we can choose the best vehicle to meet the needs of that alignment.

We're too obsessed with the vehicle type anyway. Look at the LRT versus subway debate.

Let's discuss alignment and once that's been determined we can choose the best vehicle to meet the needs of that alignment.

But if we went with a tram-train, the vehicle choice can make the alignment much more flexible. It may even be able to make the turn onto Tory's absurd Eglinton spur. And on that topic, I think the existing slow/circuitous/winding GO Richmond Hill line would be a great contender for a tram-train.
As well, Nfitz's Thomas pic isn't right. Tory specifically said SmartTrack would be electric. So I think Toby the Tram Engine is much more fitting.
Toby.jpg

Announcing funding before we even know what the heck it is.

Insanity.

Some are saying that Smart Track is already ready and is ready to be built that's why it's being funded. I mean something which no body was talking about a year ago is somehow ready to be funded.

Some are saying that Smart Track is already ready and is ready to be built that's why it's being funded. I mean something which no body was talking about a year ago is somehow ready to be funded.
In fairness, if it is just GO-RER (as 'Sauga Planner Ed Sajecki seems to think it is) with more stations in Toronto and fare integration, then it is quite close to being construction-ready.

The big question mark is Eglinton West, which I am sure the Pearson and SmartTrack EAs will rule out, and the Scarborough Subway Extension.

How can they be funding this before any of the studies are completed? Seems irresponsible to me.

Desperate electioneering. As much as I want better funding for transit I do agree it's a little odd, and not just because the CPC has been so dismissive of cities and transit.

Whether it's the CPC or another party that puts such funding into effect (I'll leave politics out of it but I'm sure you can guess some of views on the currently ruling party) I hope this happens and that smart track/RER gets a serious jump start.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will with great fanfare announce some federal funding for Mayor John Tory (open John Tory's policard)’s SmartTrack plan, with Tory and federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver by his side, sources say.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/06/18/stephen-harper-to-promise-smarttrack-funding.html
Im going to go out on a limb before this "announcement" is even made and say that this will be the biggest joke and farce of an announcement we have ever seen. Honestly I dont think Harper understands the concept of transit funding, because if this truly only relates to Smartrack, why on the planet is this announcement being made at Hillcrest? Better yet why would the TTC agree to the announcement if it doesn't involve funding for them.

Secondly, we already know that Harper won't commit to any "funding" until 2017-2018 (ie: another election year) where very minuscule funds will be given to Toronto. This is the best definition of "photo-op" that I have seen in a long, long time.

So its up to $2.6 Billion being dedicated to Smart Track, once a formal application has been received and approved, no money available until 2019. Nothing more than an election promise and photo op.

In that case, Harper should've also announced $4 billion towards the DRL for 2025, $10 Billion for a high speed rail project between Ontario and Quebec in 2030, and Maglev from PEI to Vancouver sometime in 2100.

So it's even worse than I thought. The money doesn't even come until 2019. The DRL should be ready to be built by 2019.

Back