News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Neither I'd think. They'd be electrified. But whether EMUs, locomotives, single or double-decker, or length ... it's not been decided.

It will be interesting to see at what point they decide on that. That will likely have a pretty big influence on things like station design (for the infill stations). Hopefully the equipment used for SmartTrack will be the same as for GO RER, even if the differentiation between the two is a different colour scheme.

Not sure if this was ever covered, but what sort of train will Smart Track use? Double decker trains like the GO, or trains similar to what is used for the UPX?

There has been no decision on this.
Metrolinx recently sent out an RFP for new rolling stock, and they arent set on any one type.

I believe that from just open discussions it seems Tory is more set on single level (he often called Smarttrack a "London Overground" for Toronto, and the Overground is all single level) and that Metrolinx was more focused toward Double Decker EMU's.

This is because Metrolinx was more focused on Electrification and RER in the 905, and Smarttrack is more focused on the 416.

To be honest I think the best solution would be Single Level EMU's as they are quicker to load and unload and a bit faster at accelerating with stations closer together like on Smarttrack. Also with "less than 15 minute frequencies" as advertized for Smarttrack, I would say that Bi-Levels might be more than needed.

The only reason the current GO trains are 12 length Bi Levels and are full is because its a "one size fits all" solution. Once you have 7 minute frequencies, you don't need such massive trains.

Hasn't Metrolinx wanted to move away from double decker trains, to allow for faster loading times on RER?

I would think so, considering that so much of the RER plan hinges on reducing dwell times at Union. Single level trains are much easier to unload that bi-levels.

Hasn't Metrolinx wanted to move away from double decker trains, to allow for faster loading times on RER?

All of their PDF's discussing RER show bi-level EMU's.

Not saying this is indicative of anything, maybe just what assets their designer has to work with, that just seems to be the visual trend.

I think Metrolinx will eventually have a "diversified fleet".

EMU's will be introduced, while I think Electric locomotives are highly likely, to keep using their very numerous bilevel cars for the long-haul and express trains (where EMU acceleration isn't as important) once their routes are electricified (e.g. all the way to Kitchener), especially during the peak period surge. With the new cab cars, and a note sometime in 2014 about a 15+ year-long refurbishment of the coaches, the old coaches are here to stay, even on an electricified network, mixed with EMU's.

Last edited:
Is there a particular vehicle anyone has a preference for? I don't know much about rolling stock, but after posters here gave me a quick lesson in RER I've always imagined something like BART or Washington's Metro. It's a cool looking train, and has a similar width to our hulking subways.

The Bombardier Talent 2 looks nice and wouldn't mind seeing them here:

6197.1284931994.jpg

I've always envisioned using S-Bahn type vehicles as well. The only drawback to that is that would necessitate high level platforms. The Talent 2 would work well though. Can the Talent 2 also run using diesel? If so, there's the potential to electrify in stages, but run the full GO RER build-out earlier on, with the trains running electric within the "inner zone" and diesel in the "outer zone".

Mmm, those are nice trains. Forgive me if this makes no sense: what about using subway rolling stock, but having diesels push/shunt them around? So it’d be a subway car people hop in and out of, but during the time Metrolinx is building all the electric infrastructure for RER, we run it using our current GO locomotives? We could save a bundle by using TTC’s old rolling stock.

Is there a particular vehicle anyone has a preference for? I don't know much about rolling stock, but after posters here gave me a quick lesson in RER I've always imagined something like BART or Washington's Metro. It's a cool looking train, and has a similar width to our hulking subways.

I've also imagined ST/RER to be something like BART, but more modern looking.

Back