News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 501     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

That width along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke was to accommodate a "Richview Expressway". There were no plans for a "subway" or any rapid transit.
Richview_Expwy..png

That width along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke was to accommodate a "Richview Expressway". There were no plans for a "subway" or any rapid transit.
Richview_Expwy..png

Wow, theses highways would have been devastating to the neighbourhoods around them. Nice map thought. Do you have similar ones for the other unbuilt expressways?

Wow, theses highways would have been devastating to the neighbourhoods around them. Nice map thought. Do you have similar ones for the other unbuilt expressways?

It would certainly have impacted it via noise and pollution but I can't see it being "devastating". It wasn't like they were plowing through an existing old neighbourhood like Spadina would have.

It would certainly have impacted it via noise and pollution but I can't see it being "devastating". It wasn't like they were plowing through an existing old neighbourhood like Spadina would have.

I meant the entire unbuild highway network, not just the Richview Expressway. Spadina would have been worse for sure, but look at Mt Dennis where the interchange would have levelled a huge chunk of the neighbourhood. And a lot of parks and greenspace would have been paved over.

I meant the entire unbuild highway network, not just the Richview Expressway. Spadina would have been worse for sure, but look at Mt Dennis where the interchange would have levelled a huge chunk of the neighbourhood. And a lot of parks and greenspace would have been paved over.

Exact same reason why the heavy rail SmartTrack was rejected for Eglinton West, where the curve of the tracks would have taken out almost the very same properties through the Mount Dennis area.

Yuck. The Richview Expressway would've been right next to my high school. Aside from that, very little of value would've been lost on the Etobicoke side. Aside from property values as they're quite high in the Richview area.

I thought it must have been an April Fools joke when i first read the article and was hoping it was. How could passengers possibly put those bikes up there

It was an April Fools joke!

This is a pretty good example of what SmartTrack will be like, and why SmartTrack's low frequencies (7 to 8 mins) are a fatal flaw.

Actually, I took the fare to be the disincentive, not the service frequency. I'd say that the TTC fare integration is the lesson learned for ST.

The author was pretty clear that they did not derive a time savings on the trip, but I didn't take away any complaint about waiting time. The walking time at either end is what killed the time savings.

I wonder if we only got half the story. What happened when the author went back to the crowded noisy subway? Was their reaction on their next trip "Aw crap, UPE is soooo much better than this" ? Maybe they won't switch to UPE as their daily ride.....but on a particularly bad day when they just want to get home peacefully and open a drink? (I have taken GO instead of TTC a few times in this spirit)

The other lesson I took away was - Union is not that attractive a terminal point if you can't get the rest of the way to your destination. Makes one think that the DRL is being planned in the right place up on Queen Street.

- Paul

Actually, I took the fare to be the disincentive, not the service frequency. I'd say that the TTC fare integration is the lesson learned for ST.

The service frequency is an enormous disincentive. If you calculate trip times on SmartTrack along various locations, and especially at Kennedy, you'll see that about 7 min frequencies make the service as fast or slower than using the TTC subway.

Of course the fares compound the issue. People aren't going to pay for more for a service that's only as fast or slower than existing options, with less convininet frequencies. It's no wonder that Metrolinx's preliminary projections estimated daily ridership at lower than many TTC bus routes.

The author was pretty clear that they did not derive a time savings on the trip, but I didn't take away any complaint about waiting time. The walking time at either end is what killed the time savings.

It's been discussed before that a lot of research has been done into people's time perception when moving vs. standing. People perceive time to move slower when they're standing around, waiting for a train to come, and thus people are less likely to complete those transfers since they perceive it as being slower.

So while the author might not have complained about it, the longer wait times are certainly an issue.

GO's high fares compared to local bus service will always price it out of the market of many commuters' wallets, especially if one needs to take local bus service anyway before and/or after riding the GO to complete their journey.

GO's high fares compared to local bus service will always price it out of the market of many commuters' wallets, especially if one needs to take local bus service anyway before and/or after riding the GO to complete their journey.
Unless you return within 3-hours; when it becomes much cheaper - or even free if you stay in the same zone.

For example, a Bloor to Union trips costs $4.71, but if you tap on at Union to return less than 3-hours after you tapped on at Bloor, the return trip is free.

And a Weston to Union trip costs $5.02, but if you tap on to return within 3 hours the trip home is only 32¢.

Back