News   Jul 19, 2024
 366     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 649     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Some people get mad when transit plans change when the government changes. However here we have Metrolinx changing their plans when the government has been constant for a dozen years.

Some people get mad when transit plans change when the government changes. However here we have Metrolinx changing their plans when the government has been constant for a dozen years.

To be fair, this is a) an evolution of the RER promise that was made in 2014, and b) a response to a change in policy at the municipal level. In both cases, the mandate got expanded beyond what the original "express rail" was supposed to be in the original Big Move, so the plan is changing accordingly. This is far from a "scrap it and start over again". It's an evolution to what is already being undertaken (electrification).

Has any thought been made in building a new Main Street Station and tunnels on 2 Bloor-Danforth? One closer to the Danforth GO Station, and on the south side of Danforth Avenue? Other cities have abandoned stations and built new stations at new locations (along with the tunnels). Why not Toronto?

Maybe then there will be a better and proper transfer between GO and the Subway and SmartTrack at Main & Danforth.

Has any thought been made in building a new Main Street Station and tunnels on 2 Bloor-Danforth? One closer to the Danforth GO Station, and on the south side of Danforth Avenue? Other cities have abandoned stations and built new stations at new locations (along with the tunnels). Why not Toronto?

Maybe then there will be a better and proper transfer between GO and the Subway and SmartTrack at Main & Danforth.
There's occasional talk about a connection. I'd imagine a connecting pedestrian tunnel would be much more likely that moving the entire station/tracks - which surely would be pushing the $billion mark. The distance from the eastbound platform to the GO platform is less than 300 metres - which is shorter than the length of a GO platform.

I'm hoping that SmartTrack would include such a beast.

There's occasional talk about a connection. I'd imagine a connecting pedestrian tunnel would be much more likely that moving the entire station/tracks - which surely would be pushing the $billion mark. The distance from the eastbound platform to the GO platform is less than 300 metres - which is shorter than the length of a GO platform.

I'm hoping that SmartTrack would include such a beast.

I think ridership will determine whether or not auxiliary infrastructure like this is built.

I prefer Option A (more expensive) and then Option D (if I must choose another option) and because it probably will not be Option A
IMO it will be either Option B or C - there has to be a trade off for losing all the Scarborough Subway stations, so it only makes sense to add at least Lawrence station onto the route. The space is there after all (once they tear down the SRT stations).

IMO it will be either Option B or C - there has to be a trade off for losing all the Scarborough Subway stations, so it only makes sense to add at least Lawrence station onto the route. The space is there after all (once they tear down the SRT stations).
a trade off for subway stations that were never really needed in the first place?

Back