News   Jul 19, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 683     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

If the Scarborough Subway does end up going from Kennedy to STC, then shouldn't SmartTrack at least go up to Sheppard Ave to make up for the lost stations? Once the SRT is gone, there will be plenty of room to add one or even 2 more tracks in that corridor. SmartTrack can just use the space of the RT stations for Lawrence East and Ellesemere East. Joining to the Sheppard Rapid Transit (whatever that is) makes sense, plus they recent just created that bridge for GO trains over Sheppard.

If they are terminating the Eglinton West heavy rail portion, I don't get why though they don't continue Smart Track right up to Woodbine with stations at every cross street. This is supposed to be a surface subway after all. Would do a lot for northern Etobicoke and western North York.

If they are terminating the Eglinton West heavy rail portion, I don't get why though they don't continue Smart Track right up to Woodbine with stations at every cross street. This is supposed to be a surface subway after all. Would do a lot for northern Etobicoke and western North York.

This is exactly what should happen, I would say extend ST to Malton, with RER stopping only at Malton, Mount Dennis, and Bloor, and ST doing all the intermediate stops.

The Malton stop allows RER to ST transfers for those headed for the intermediate stations. Malton needs to be a RER stop to develop a transfer to the airport from the west.

The reduced RER stopping speeds up RER service from Kitchener etc, and improves its utilisation as you don't want to bring empty seats all the way from Kitchener to serve a rider at Weston.

The only major construction this would require is a tunnel for an additional track under Hiway 401. The rest of the fourth track is already roughed in.

- Paul

This is exactly what should happen, I would say extend ST to Malton, with RER stopping only at Malton, Mount Dennis, and Bloor, and ST doing all the intermediate stops.

The Malton stop allows RER to ST transfers for those headed for the intermediate stations. Malton needs to be a RER stop to develop a transfer to the airport from the west.

The reduced RER stopping speeds up RER service from Kitchener etc, and improves its utilisation as you don't want to bring empty seats all the way from Kitchener to serve a rider at Weston.

The only major construction this would require is a tunnel for an additional track under Hiway 401. The rest of the fourth track is already roughed in.

- Paul
Does that mean with RER stopping at Weston, its GO fares vs ST stopping and TTC fares? I don 't like it. I am sure just like in the east end where ST up to Markham will be phase 2 the same will happen in west end with ST to Malton in phase 2

Does that mean with RER stopping at Weston, its GO fares vs ST stopping and TTC fares? I don 't like it. I am sure just like in the east end where ST up to Markham will be phase 2 the same will happen in west end with ST to Malton in phase 2

RER should stop at only Malton, Mount Dennis, and Bloor. Those are logical high-demand stops which connect to the major rapid transit lines. Yes, a "GO" fare would apply, the transfer to local transit at these points could be a nominal charge similar to how GO, Miway, and BT have interconnecting transfer rights.

ST should stop more intensively between Malton and Union. It should charge a "TTC Fare" (which might be more than one token today, or have a different transfer policy, we'll see what fare integration brings to TTC).

Local trips on RER between say Mount Dennis and Bloor can be higher than ST, as it's a "enhanced" service (I'm using that term loosely) given ST covers the same territory.

- Paul

Is it possible to make the SmartTrack trains compatible to the subway trains? That is high platforms and same width. Then the 2 Bloor-Danforth trains can run as an express train on the SmartTrack right-of-way to get to the turn before going to Scarborough Town Centre.

Northbound_R68_D_train_at_20_Av.jpg

Tunneling would still occur nearing Kennedy Station and at the northern section leading from the SmartTrack right-of-way to the Scarborough Town Centre.

Last edited:
Is it possible to make the SmartTrack trains compatible to the subway trains? That is high platforms and same width. Then the 2 Bloor-Danforth trains can run as an express train on the SmartTrack right-of-way to get to the turn before going to Scarborough Town Centre.

Northbound_R68_D_train_at_20_Av.jpg

Tunneling would still occur nearing Kennedy Station and at the northern section leading from the SmartTrack right-of-way to the Scarborough Town Centre.

No, the subway system uses a different track gauge than GO train.

Also other issues, including pantograph vs third rail power, as well as regulations from Transport Canada. You arent allowed to run subway style trains with GO train style full-size trains on mainline tracks for safety reasons.

The only way this would be possible is if Smarttrack was made as a completely separate subway system using TTC gauge but ran in the rail corridors beside GO trains.

However this would mean you would need separate vehicles, stations, platforms, tracks etc for Smarttrack than GO RER. It would overly complicate things and drive prices way up.

RER should stop at only Malton, Mount Dennis, and Bloor. Those are logical high-demand stops which connect to the major rapid transit lines. Yes, a "GO" fare would apply, the transfer to local transit at these points could be a nominal charge similar to how GO, Miway, and BT have interconnecting transfer rights.

ST should stop more intensively between Malton and Union. It should charge a "TTC Fare" (which might be more than one token today, or have a different transfer policy, we'll see what fare integration brings to TTC).

Local trips on RER between say Mount Dennis and Bloor can be higher than ST, as it's a "enhanced" service (I'm using that term loosely) given ST covers the same territory.

- Paul
nope./ too0 much confusion. They finally arrived at a quasi plan for ST stopping at eglinton in the west and keened in the east, lets leave it that way

It's true that the line would have to separated from the main GO line due to safety laws at Transport Canada, it does NOT have to have a different gauge. They can use the same gauge as they have now but would simply need to add overhead catenary power supply. Many systems in the world run on standard gauge and many with overhead catenary. The entire Singapore, Hong Kong, and Barcelona systems are overhead power as well as Toronto's closet subway neighbour, Cleveland.

nope./ too0 much confusion. They finally arrived at a quasi plan for ST stopping at eglinton in the west and keened in the east, lets leave it that way
I don't think I've seen a report that stops it at Kennedy (did I miss something, other than media speculation?). Today's report on the Scarborough situation calls for a Lawrence East stop.

I don't think I've seen a report that stops it at Kennedy (did I miss something, other than media speculation?). Today's report on the Scarborough situation calls for a Lawrence East stop.
Yeah, looks like ST to Agincourt from the newest maps out now.

Yeah, looks like ST to Agincourt from the newest maps out now.
Which one stops at Agincourt? The maps released today from planning with the 2026 Recommended Rapid Transit network for Scarborough also shows stops north of Agincourt with Finch, Milliken, and then proceeding off the map further north.

Which one stops at Agincourt? The maps released today from planning with the 2026 Recommended Rapid Transit network for Scarborough also shows stops north of Agincourt with Finch, Milliken, and then proceeding off the map further north.

Do you have a link for the maps that are released today?

Back