News   Jul 19, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.2K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     3 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

That maybe the case, but I am always leery of co-incidences - there is a vested interest for their story to appear in a friendly outlet in any case, and the confirmation could very well be enabling.

I tend to agree. This is the sort of leak where they put the true details out there to draw detractors out of the bushes and to reduce the drama when the official version come out. It gives Tory the opportunity to position himself as the flexible guy who respects the professional analyses, rather than a guy with a dumb idea that the experts have refuted. History is best rewritten in small steps.

- Paul

So this is an extension of ECLRT bundled with RER?
That maybe the case, but I am always leery of co-incidences - there is a vested interest for their story to appear in a friendly outlet in any case, and the confirmation could very well be enabling.

There is no coincidence. I wouldn't be surprised if Tory's office fed the Globe this article word for word, possibly even with input from Wynne's staff.

So that's how they're saving the SSE, by deferring the SmartTrack section north of Kennedy. Clever.

I see it as leaving the door open to extend SmartTrack along the SRT ROW to either Sheppard East or Malvern. The amount of funding already dedicated to the SSE would more than pay for that.

This evolution of SmartTrack has already bundled a couple projects together (West ECLRT and RER) in Etobicoke, why not do the same in Scarborough?

But will more frequent trains attract enough ridership to fill them up with passengers?

We will get a final report soon which should answer this question.

However [this is speculation], since preliminary staff reports noted that 15 minute frequencies would not pull enough people away from Bloor/Yonge to defer the DRL, and the "fix" staff present is 5 minute frequencies through the central portion, I suspect that the model finds that ridership of this new service will be high enough (with suitable fare and bus connections) to have a noticeable impact on the passenger count transferring at Bloor/Yonge.

There's no obvious reason to expect Smart Track to Kennedy wouldn't achieve 25% of the ridership that DRL @ Sheppard might. While ~4500 peak hour load isn't huge, it's also very cheap (~$1B over $RER for Union to Kennedy?) giving it a way better ridership/capital ratio. 4500 is about 15% of the upgraded Yonge capacity south of Bloor, so it's not a trivial amount. If nothing else, it gives flexibility when Yonge gets unexpectedly shutdown.

The western portion removing significant ridership from Yonge south of Bloor isn't as likely but I suppose a few hundred counts and that stretch under University has capacity struggles of it's own.

Even seems cheaper than Yonge upgrade costs (ATO, redoing termination stations [unfunded], extra trains, etc. to achieve 10% boost in capacity).

The DRL will still be required in some form at some date. Heck, even if the DRL was built a DRL2 will still be required in some form at some date :)

The article says operating expenses are still to be worked out. I doubt each portion (east/west) will be much higher than the Spadina extension per km. So maybe up to $80M/year in subsidies to operate the plan (heavy rail and ECLRT extension).

The Union to Yonge Line transfer will be a bigger issue. It takes me 3 minutes to make that walk in rush hour, and I'm a fast paced walker. Could be closer to 5 minute for people to make that walk including wait times for Yonge Line train.

This can of course be fixed in future if a large number of people transfer (moving walkways within Union or even tunnelling some RER services downtown away from Union). In the short-term, I suspect most people taking it will have a destination within 500m of Union and will opt to walk that last portion without a transfer to Yonge line. Those going to destinations closer to Dundas (Ryerson/Eaton Center) will probably continue using Danforth.

Last edited:
An extra platforms at Weston! The SmartTrack will run west on Eglinton, so the train will not make it to the Weston GO station at Lawrence. Perhaps I read the article incorrect.
No, all I meant was that when they rebuilt Weston, they made it so that there was platform access to three tracks, at both high and low platform height. Article states it will end at Mount Dennis, I was only saying that the platforms that exist at Weston might make it more palatable for an extension. I bet most residents at Weston would trade their UP stop if in exchange they got a SmartTrack stop.

No, all I meant was that when they rebuilt Weston, they made it so that there was platform access to three tracks, at both high and low platform height. Article states it will end at Mount Dennis, I was only saying that the platforms that exist at Weston might make it more palatable for an extension. I bet most residents at Weston would trade their UP stop if in exchange they got a SmartTrack stop.

I'm sure UPX would make that trade too. The only reason it was added in the first place was community pressure, not because of any technical ridership merits. I'm sure UPX would be glad to shave a couple minutes off their trips.

There would have to be a place with room in which to turn-back "SmartTrack" trains. There's probably more room just northwest of Mount Dennis (around Ray Avenue/Jane Street) than there is in the Weston Tunnel or beyond. The underpass at Highway 401 would have to be widened for a fourth track for GO RER, VIA, and UPX/Additional trains to pass through.

If "SmartTrack" ends up being integrated with UPX, which I think it could (two extra stops, at Liberty Village and at Mount Dennis), then it would solve Tory's problem and the problem of poor ridership on the UPX. It could still charge an upgrade for tickets from the airport, much like how the Canada Line has a premium on single fares from YVR.

Last edited:
Ironically, riders from Scarborough Town Centre will STILL have to transfer at Kennedy to get downtown the fastest route possible...except now it will be from Line 2 to SmartTrack instead of Line 3 to Line 2.

Ironically, riders from Scarborough Town Centre will STILL have to transfer at Kennedy to get downtown the fastest route possible...except now it will be from Line 2 to SmartTrack instead of Line 3 to Line 2.

True but the quicker trip should more than make up for that.

This is great! Pretty frequent trains (5-10 min freq) from Kennedy to Mt Dennis, hopefully with fares that make it affordable to use locally.

Eglinton West LRT extension, making Eglinton LRT even longer and more useful.

Ideal outcome in my opinion.

Hopefully some well placed stops on the west end along the rail corridor to serve west downtown communities full of condos like Queens Quay west and Cityplace, and east near Distillery

This is great! Pretty frequent trains (5-10 min freq) from Kennedy to Mt Dennis, hopefully with fares that make it affordable to use locally.

Eglinton West LRT extension, making Eglinton LRT even longer and more useful.

Ideal outcome in my opinion.

Hopefully some well placed stops on the west end along the rail corridor to serve west downtown communities full of condos like Queens Quay west and Cityplace, and east near Distillery

They say they'll add 4-5 stops. Contenders seem to be St. Clair, Liberty Village, CityPlace/Spadina, Distillery, Unilever, Gerrard.....but that's 6....maybe Unilever is added later once they area is actually developed.

There would have to be a place with room in which to turn-back "SmartTrack" trains. There's probably more room just northwest of Mount Dennis (around Ray Avenue/Jane Street) than there is in the Weston Tunnel or beyond. The underpass at Highway 401 would have to be widened for a fourth track for GO RER, VIA, and UPX/Additional trains to pass through.

This begs the question - will SmartTrack run on the existing/planned GO/UPX trackage (currently 3 tracks on the Weston, with the 4th roughed in and 3 on the Kingston, with the 4th needing EA and design) or will it represent a new, parallel construction. Or (worst case) will it mean ripping up much of what was just built?

If it's on the existing (as I hope) - the sensible thing would be to dedicate 2 tracks of 4 to ST since it's unlikely that VIA/RER could be interleaved with a 10 minute stopping service. The existing point of turnback on the Weston is north of Mount Dennis, at Nickle Street. It's a no-brainer to include Weston as the furthest stop with this arrangement. And actually, a final terminus at Islington Ave west of the Humberview Interlocking is not incrementally expensive - without any need for the new 401 tunnel, although RER may want that eventually. That might take the pressure off GO to do much stopping in that zone at all, which would be great for those coming from the hinterland.

Same for the Kingston Sub. With the right layout, one might not need a flyover/under at Scarboro Jct, although it would likely be prudent to go ahead with this.

The interesting decision will be equipment. If there is a uniform ST/RER or ST/DRL template (doesn't imply identical equipment, just compatible performance and dimensions) then both Relief Line and ST could be routed through the cross downtown tunnel that might come with the Relief Line some day.

The best thing of all is, this is actually all compatible with the design that RER was working towards. So there really is a cost advantage to combining the two. I sure hope it all fits technically and operationally.

- Paul

They say they'll add 4-5 stops. Contenders seem to be St. Clair, Liberty Village, CityPlace/Spadina, Distillery, Unilever, Gerrard.....but that's 6....maybe Unilever is added later once they area is actually developed.

Those all seem justified except Unilever, but I'm assuming those who own that property want a stop

Back