News   Jul 16, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

Slower subway service?

Cute attempt to threadjack, but no one is talking about stop spacing here. We are talking about slowing and stopping between stations with no other trains around, no construction workers around, and no explanations from TTC personnel.

Excuse me. It's the same all or nothing, speed is binary from the same people. Comes up often.

At any rate, why does there need to be an explanation? If they're not moving at full speed there's obviously a reason. It's not like they intentionally do it for the sake of running things slower.

Most of this stuff is ongoing like the slow order across the Prince Edward viaduct. Any regular rider would know about the slow section and adjust. It's not as if you can do anything about it. (For the record I've known about the problems with the beams on that thing for years)

Railroads are not as reliable as roads. Roads are maintained in the spring and when unmaintained can still be driven on for 50 years. However, railroads need constant attention. Every link of rail must be inspected on a regular basis, electrical connections must be checked, cracks in cement must be filled, pipes checked for leaks its an on going battle... can you imagine how many people would be injured if (knock on wood) we had a major accident in the TTC. Living in toronto we take a lot for granted and i think the TTC is one of those things is our transit commission.. go to NYC and you will thank god you have a subway system like ours.
Not many things last for 50 years without maintainance and our roads aren't one of them. We inspect our road bridges every year or two and do repairs every five or ten years. Railroads have fault detectors that reduce the supposed level of vigilance you picture.

Railroads are more reliable and durable than roads because they are made out of harder materials.

Back