News   Jul 30, 2024
 344     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 535     0 

Six most beautiful stations on the planet

Technically, it's not a station. It's a terminal. All trains terminate there - you can't go through it. That's why its name is Grand Central Terminal.

Here endeth the lesson.

There are plenty of buildings where all trains terminate that are called station, like South Station just up the rails in Boston. All trains also terminated at the old Grand Central Station. The name Terminal was just something of a marketing ploy back in 1913 to differentiate the new building from the old.

And just exactly how was St. Andrews Station left of this list?

Good list, been to two. I personally think that Gloucester Road Station in London is nice station -- nothing too elegant but lots of light and well connected to the neighbourhood.

It may be a great station/terminal...that, I don't know.

But most beautiful? Please...I went there once cause I thought it's such well known/famous...but when I got there...wow, that's it?? Holy geez, totally wasted my time. I find many "famous" spots in NYC are totally over-rated, the Grand Central Station is one of them.

Is this guy serious? Or is he confusing Penn with Grand Central?

... or the subway station

newyork-grand.central-metro.station.jpg

A lot of people do question the architectural merit of Grand Central, but I really don't agree. I find the design to be quite creative and very impressive.

Maybe in 1950 such questioning could pass itself off as valid. But these days, the only people who'd "question the architectural merit of Grand Central" would be out in Fountainheadish lulu land...

^^

The first pic...
If our Union Station gets a clean up and lite up... I think ours look prettier...

2nd/3rd...
I don't see the diff compare to our Union Station.

And our Union Station high ceiling is prettier too.

So, NYC's station to me is just a standard ok station...the most beautiful? LOL

Okay, you've never been there. I know you've got the civic boosterism bug, but a few more pictures of GCT should cure you of that. Vanderbilt Hall alone is comparable in size and distinction to Union's Great Hall. The main waiting room at Grand Central is quite peerless these days.

I took a train from Los Angeles' Union Station last week (just a light rail train to Pasadena though), and I must concur that it is absolutely spectacular, and an amazing example of the Mission Style architecture that is surprisingly common in modern California.

Perhaps all the more spectacular (and poignant, given this is autophilic El Ay and all) for being not just Mission, but Mission Moderne...

Back