356     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

Six most beautiful stations on the planet

A

adma

Just in the talking-point mood to post this. And praise be for giving Florence due credit...

arts.guardian.co.uk/featu...21,00.html

'Grand Central is the world's most romantic meeting place'

The six most beautiful stations on the planet, chosen by Jonathan Glancey

Thursday November 23, 2006
The Guardian

1.St Pancras, London, 1877
In a year's time, Eurostar trains will glide out of a gloriously renovated and extended St Pancras. Although grimey for many decades, the Victorian train shed, designed by engineer William Barlow, remains imposing. The components of its sensational, single-span iron roof - 100ft high and 240ft wide - were forged at the Butterly Company, Derbyshire, and brought to London by the Midland Railway. Fronting the 1860s train shed is one of the greatest of all Gothic Revival buildings, the sublime, Gormenghast-like Midland Grand Hotel, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, long under threat but now a joy forever.

2.Grand Central Terminal, New York, 1913

Once one of two thrilling Beaux-Arts Manhattan stations, Grand Central, designed by Reed & Stern and Warren & Wetmore, survives and thrives. The wilful destruction of its rival and peer Pennsylvania Station in 1963 prompted New York to list and nurture its architectural heritage. The main concourse of Grand Central remains one of the world's greatest rooms and most romantic meeting places. Well known for its Oyster Bar and to generations of cinema-goers - this is where Cary Grant rushes to board the Twentieth Century Limited in North by North West - the station has recently been thoroughly restored.

3.Santa Maria Novella, Florence, 1934
Heralded as a great fascist achievement - a station where Mussolini's trains would run on time - this is as timeless as Modern architecture gets, a rational updating of a Roman basilica. The play of dynamic horizontal lines, cinematic windows, underplayed lighting and immaculate craftsmanship make this at heart a 1930s design, a period when the Italians were determined to outdo European rivals. Its architects, Gruppo Toscano, were led by Giovanni Michelucchi. Foster and Partners have added an ambitious underground extension for the latest high speed trains.

4.Helsinki Central, 1919

During the days of the Russian Grand Duchy, Finnish stations were largely standardised. When the National Romantic movement caught on in artistic circles, and with independence in the air, Finnish architects let rip. Or, at least they did in central Helsinki, with this magical station designed by Eliel Saarinen (who later emigrated to the US with his more famous son, Eero). Characterised by four lamp-bearing statues of giants carved by Emil Wikstrom, the principal entrance arch leads into a concourse, and rooms as imaginatively detailed, perfectly maintained and calm as a Lutheran cathedral.

5.Lahore Railway Station, Pakistan, 1862

Designed by William Bunton to serve as a fortress during times of trouble on the north west frontier, Lahore station was built with steel doors that could be rolled across its gateways, and medieval-style arrow slits from which Maxim guns could be pointed and fired. The station was the scene of dreadful slaughter at the time of Partition in 1947, when Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs lay dead along its stirring platforms. Even so, and despite the fact that its fairy-tale facades are usually smothered in determinedly garish adverts, this is a wonderful station.

6.Union Station, Los Angeles, 1939

This supremely elegant Spanish Colonial-style Art Deco terminus is one of the most relaxed to be found in the United States. It has film-star looks, and is beautifully made and finished. Designed by John Parkinson and Donald B Parkinson, it was once the hub of the high-stepping, long-distance express trains of the Southern Pacific, Union Pacific and Santa Fe railroads. Sadly, its sun-kissed platforms are unaturally quiet today. Americans prefer jets and cars to trains. But this is still where you catch the local train to Disneyland; Walt couldn't have dreamed up a better railroad station.

Cool. I've used two of the six, and plan to make it 50 percent this year. GCS is amazing - St. Pancras is quite something too, though I remember the smell of diesel fumes to be almost as overwhelming as the architecture!

I've only been to two. Helsinki central (visited 2005) while a neat little station, did not strike me as significant.

I've always thought Helsinki Central is one of the most beautiful stations in the world and the real gem in that city.

i'm surprised there's no mention of some of the extravagant stations in the Moscow metro

metro.jpg

Because it's about train stations, not subway stations; that's why...

I've alwaFrom the first time I laid eyes on it, I thought Florence had a magnificent station. I never saw much written about it, so I always thought I was the only one.

I would've liekd to have seen at least one modern station on the list. Maybe Lyon Satolas/Saint-Exupéry.

Milan's station looks like it was once grand and magnificient (and still is to a large extent, although much of it has fallen into disrepair).

I've been to the first two- cool. I wonder why he stopped at six?

I guess the likely explanation is: Milan = "backward-looking", Florence = "forward-looking". Cool wins out over bombast--not that bombast's bad, y'know. (But imagine if Sant'Elia got the Milan job...)

I've been to three of the six (Florence, LA, London). I like the Milan and Roman ones too.

Everyone: I will vouch for NYCs Grand Central Terminal. I was there today-there was an interesting exhibition on Scotland with plenty of information to boot! every time I go through there I just wonder how things would have been had NYC LOST GCT-there was talk in the early 70s to sell the air rights and construct an office building there-an influential group led by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis led the successful effort to save GCT. GCT is one of the most famous rail stations in the world-a classic NYC landmark. LI MIKE

Grand Central in NYC, most beautiul station on the planet?

LOL, that must be a joke, right???

Back