News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Sidewalk plowing

It must have been years since I last seen the city clear ANY of the snow windrows in my neighbourhood.
I haven't even seen it downtown this year.

Though it's been many years since we've needed it on side streets. Was there some stealth budget cut that they hoped no one would ever notice if it never snowed heavily again?

Speaking of plowing, Toronto has definitely gotten much worse at clearing the roads over the last few years. I remember, as recently as 2014, the city was dumping ten tons of salt for each millimetre of snow. It's gotten noticeably and dramatically worse very quickly since then. Must be the budget crunch.
or the fact salt is terrible for the environment. over salting is a waste of money and pollutes lake Ontario and groundwater.

or the fact salt is terrible for the environment. over salting is a waste of money and pollutes lake Ontario and groundwater.
Salt is certainly an issue in groundwater - though there's little to no groundwater usage in Toronto. Small streams might be the biggest issue. Otherwise it all flows into Lake Ontario.

Where's the risk to human life?

I've not seen too much concern about salt in Lake Ontario. What's the residence time? Relative to groundwater, it all flows into the ocean quickly. Is salt in the ocean an issue?

Is there a reference on this?

I agree the city was using too much salt in recent years. Now they're using none at all. I'm sure there's a happy medium.

Salt is certainly an issue in groundwater - though there's little to no groundwater usage in Toronto. Small streams might be the biggest issue. Otherwise it all flows into Lake Ontario.

Where's the risk to human life?

I've not seen too much concern about salt in Lake Ontario. What's the residence time? Relative to groundwater, it all flows into the ocean quickly. Is salt in the ocean an issue?

Is there a reference on this?

There is a ton of evidence that salt is bad for the environment, found with a simple google search. If somehow you cannot find anything I will gladly tag something.

Haven't seen anything about the city saying that's why they are using a lot less salt because of this reason but I was just guessing.

Also it's not just the threat to human life it's the threat on ecosystems, fish, wetlands, etc.

There is a ton of evidence that salt is bad for the environment, found with a simple google search. If somehow you cannot find anything I will gladly tag something.

Haven't seen anything about the city saying that's why they are using a lot less salt because of this reason but I was just guessing.

Also it's not just the threat to human life it's the threat on ecosystems, fish, wetlands, etc.

They use beet juice with road salt.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I've studied the issue in detail for nearly 30 years.

But in particular you referred to Lake Ontario - and I've never seen much concern expressed there. Surely much bigger issue in the Lake Simcoe watershed, given the residence times.

Toronto in particular all flows into Lake Ontario, even the impacts on most local creeks is relatively small, given the sewer network.

What in particular is the impact on Lake Ontario that you are concerned about?

One problem the sidewalk plows face are where there are vehicles or other obstructions over the sidewalks. Even just a fender over the sidewalk, results in the sidewalk snowplow having to move out onto the road to bypass the obstruction.

LY3m7CYjtS9AP62nbIh5MkRZMm7KTyUmiBp0qb-_L_A.png

From link.

Growing up in suburbia in a different city, with sidewalk plows, I really don't recall that being an issue in the winter.

Growing up in suburbia in a different city, with sidewalk plows, I really don't recall that being an issue in the winter.

People have put their garbage bins against the garage, so that when they park their car in the driveway, the rear sticks out into the sidewalk.

In my neighbourhood, there is this one car on their driveway that takes up to 75% of the sidewalk. Even strollers or wheelchairs have difficultly getting past them when there are snowbanks. They should get a parking ticket ($30?) for "Stop on/over sidewalk/footpath", but haven't seen one issued, yet.

See link.

This does happen.

My previous neighbor used to park his van right up to the sidewalk and the sidewalk plow would always skip my house because of that.

Thankfully that guy moved.

Back