News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

• Total voters
Re: Measurement systems

I grew up in Britain, so to me the monarchy represents an antiquated and irrelevant social control mechanism that rewards inherited priviledge rather than talent. That's antithetical to the values I hold dear, and everything that I believe Canada stands for.

.....But ... if we are to have a Queen ... he should be Moi!

I also spent a lot of time in Britain when I was young and, liek many young Brits, have very little attachment to the monarchy.On the other hand the fabirc of all our important institutions- government, military, justice system is all based on the Brits. If it wasn't for the Brits we'd all own guns and be chewing tobacco. The monarchy is just a symbol- that's all.

You're not going to find a government willing to spend on the order of $10B to write a large majority of Canadas legal system which would be required. Not to mention the fact that you've now opened things like the constitution back up for negotiation from ground zero.

It's not a simple amendment, it's a restart.

That said, 10 minutes after the Government General decides not to offer the elected Prime Minister the prime ministers office, you better belive this would be a hot issue. Yes, out PM is technically appointed, not elected.

I'd rather keep the existing system than have an elected figurehead. Thinking about Rick Mercer's show, I'd be afraid of who we'd come up with. :b

And for all its faults, Canada's system is still better than that of the US. There's too much lobbying, infighting and partisan poltics there that the parliamentary system (which requires an extra-parliamentary figurehead) avoids.

If it wasn't for the Brits we'd all own guns and be chewing tobacco. The monarchy is just a symbol- that's all.

Right--like those goddamn Americans! I too am glad that we don't have their problems, like lobbying, political infighting, and an executive which gets involved in private affairs and special interests. We are morally superior in every way. Free abortions for all!

A restart.

I'll go for that.

once the queen is dead. I say we dump it.

I think its good that we have the tradition but it is also time we move on.

The australians are lucky- they have geographic distance and their own continent. Canadians have to be VERY wary about their future- especially when it is already almost completely dominated culturally by the United states. Canadians are scrambling to get noticed by their american neighbours and most Americans could care less- that says something.

^^ then maybe it's time to look in other directions?

Who gives a toss about what the US thinks - they don't care because they're so culturally inwards-looking.

What I don't get is why Australia and Canada aren't more, for lack of a better phrase, in each other's faces. Distance is one thing, but you can't deny the many similarities in the make up of each country.

I think part of the reason that Canada and Australia aren't more interactive is that both are heavy exporters, and are in a sense competitors. Or have not a great deal to gain from trade, at least.

I think it's really unfortunate, because Canada and Australia share a fairly similar world view, and working together could allow them to exercise more influence.

bingo.

:)

EDIT: I think Canada is Australia's 15th largest trading partner and Australia is Canada's 16th largest trading partner - only one or two billion a year, fairly mediocre!

Not to say there aren't any Canadian co's here - Bombardier's main manufacturing facility and Aus HQ is 20 minutes from my joint, dunno bout any Banks though....?

I thought Royal Bank of Canada has some operations in Australia. They probably operate under a different name, though.

Google is picking up an office address at 2 PArk Street Sydney (level 46) so yeah do have some office down here.

must say though, I love the names of the banks you have, with the imperial theme:

Canadian Imperial Banking Corporation (that's what CIBC is eh?)
Toronto-dominion
Royal Bank of Canada

Australia's "big 4" banking names are well... boring:

National Australia Bank (Melb)
Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Syd)
ANZ - Australian New Zealand Banking Corporation (Melb)
Westpac (old bank of NSW - Syd)

how fitting that those Canadian Bank names are apparent in a "Should Canada keep the Monarchy" type thread LOL!

"Canadian Imperial Banking Corporation (that's what CIBC is eh?)"

Close. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. I believe it was a merger of the Imperial Bank and the Bank of Commerce(where 'Commerce Court' comes from) that gave us that name.

Bah, what gets me is the rebranding...

Royal Bank becomes 'RBC'
Bank of Nova Scotia becomes 'Scotiabank'
Bank of Montreal becomes 'BMO'
Toronto Dominion merges with Canada Trust and becomes 'TD Canada Trust' (drop the word Toronto to make westerners happy)
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce becomes 'CIBC'

Canadian National becomes 'CN' (Employees are no longer allowed to use the words 'Canadian National')
Royal Ontario Museum becomes 'The ROM'

Ooops, got off topic.

You guys have HSBC in Aus yet?

yar, they've been here for 10 years I think.

The big globals have always had a presence in Australia, but the core retail banking power here is still very much an Australian-only game & they're split between Melbourne & Sydney (as above), whereas it's -all- in Toronto eh? even Banque de Montréal (another cool name, well, it is in French hah ;) ) no?

Back