News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

I was just there over the week-end....wife had to visit one of the stores and we decided to have lunch there too. As has always been the case during my visits, the entire "centre" was alive with activity. Many people walking around, parking lots were packed (had to circle for a few minutes before actually finding a spot) and the restaurants were also quite busy.

It's tough to say how well the shops are doing but if I had to guess I'd say most are doing just fine despite the fact that it's all outdoors. I certainly have no issue going there in the winter......no different than walking to a store downtown.

There is a big difference between Shops at Don Mills and shopping downtown. Downtown has lot of unique stores you wont find anywhere else. Shops at Don Mills has the same stores you can find at any suburban shopping mall. Shopping at Don Mills was great at Christmas time, the place was empty i had no problems getting a spot, while at Yorkdale Mall cars were lined up just to get in the parking lot!

I can attest to the fact it was pretty busy last Christmas.

I checked it out about 2 months back, and while I do like the layout and the concept, and would like to see more outdoor malls (especially hideous power centres) reconfigured into this more urban, pedestrian friendly, town-villagey way, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed too - it seemed like 90% of the stores were geared towards snobby, mainstream, empty-headed fashionistas, and the lack of residential on top is also a mistake. Add condos and a variety of retail and you've got something going.

I checked it out about 2 months back, and while I do like the layout and the concept, and would like to see more outdoor malls (especially hideous power centres) reconfigured into this more urban, pedestrian friendly, town-villagey way, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed too - it seemed like 90% of the stores were geared towards snobby, mainstream, empty-headed fashionistas, and the lack of residential on top is also a mistake. Add condos and a variety of retail and you've got something going.

A condo project is planned for the site and has been on sale for quite some time now. In fact, I think I heard a radio add for what sounded like phase 2.

I had attended 2 public consultation meetings at the 'old' centre before they demolished the existing structure. At that time, there were plans to construct 6/7 buildings along The Don Way. There was also talk of constructing at least 1 building oriented towards seniors to make it easier for individuals to down size from the house to a condo and stay in the neighbourhood they have been living for a number of years.

Plans seem to be unfolding that way.

Rob Ford said he will not support development in areas where there is local opposition to a project. Let's face it, that's probably every neighbourhood in Toronto. Yes, we do have our share of NIMBYs.

Which leads me to something I'm very curious about. Ford also said he will raise money to build a subway by allowing developers higher density (air rights) along the subway line. Knowing this city and it's NIMBYs, the way we do, how can this work? How can you respect the wishes of NIMBYs and also promise to build a subway financed by taller buildings? Can somebody help me out here? Do I have the facts wrong? I'm just trying to figure out how this seemingly unworkable situation, can be successful? Anybody care to enlighten me?

Look at it this way. Ford may have opposed this development due to neighbourhood protest, but he'd also oppose any heritage status in Don Mills due to convenient "neighbourhood protest" as well. ("Bwaa! Mayor Ford! The hysterical preservationists won't let me build my McMansion!)

Rob Ford said he will not support development in areas where there is local opposition to a project. Let's face it, that's probably every neighbourhood in Toronto. Yes, we do have our share of NIMBYs.

Which leads me to something I'm very curious about. Ford also said he will raise money to build a subway by allowing developers higher density (air rights) along the subway line. Knowing this city and it's NIMBYs, the way we do, how can this work? How can you respect the wishes of NIMBYs and also promise to build a subway financed by taller buildings? Can somebody help me out here? Do I have the facts wrong? I'm just trying to figure out how this seemingly unworkable situation, can be successful? Anybody care to enlighten me?

No, you're not wrong. And if it sounds contradictory, that's because it is. That's Rob Ford for you.

from today's Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual caveat, this seems to confirm that there are several more residential towers planned for here, with at least one at 39 storeys.....

CONDOMINIUM, RETAIL BUILDINGS Proj: 9076685-11
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING

The Residences at Don Mills future development, Don Mills Centre, Lawrence Ave E, Don Mills Rd, M3C 1P8
$150,000,000 est

Note: Owner has finalized City Council site plan approvals for future development. The scope of work for future phases has been finalized. Schedules for sales and marketing will be set in 2012. Schedules for Working drawings, Sub trade tender and construction of these projects will be set pending completion of prior phases on the site, report numbers 9094621, 9107073, and 9127134. Further update Summer, 2011.

Project: proposed construction of four condominium buildings with retail at grade to be built on the Southern portion of the Residence at Don Mills site. The project will consist of one 32-storey building above a seven-storey podium with retail and amenity space; one 16-storey building above a six-storey podium with retail and amenity space; one 24-storey building above a seven-storey podium building that steps down to two-storeys for retail and amenity space; one 14-storey building above a six-storey podium for retail and amenity space; and one 16-storey building with a six storey podium for retail and amenity space. There will be approximately 2,500 residential units.
Scope: 140,000 m²; 39 storeys; 3 storeys below grade; 4 structures; 1500 units

Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Recreational bldgs

I lived in Don Mills for 56 of my 59 years and I've seen it all from beginning to this recent 'demise'. We sold the family home last fall after my mom passed away and I have moved to an apartment in East York. I miss Don Mills but I was disappointed from the start when they built this monstrosity. Shopping is geared for the rich and famous, most of which don't live there. The building at 75 The Don Way, home to many resident's doctors is now a loft project. The post office has been ripped down which means you have to fight for a parking space in Shoppers. Even worse if you're a senior. And now the parking lot in front of the TD Bank is being turned into another condo apartment. It probably won't be long before that parking lot at street level turns into more condo high rises leaving you park on their streets if you can find a space or park two blocks away in the covered parking. Don Mills was a great place to live, but it sucks if you have to shop their. Metro, the former Dominion store is no bargain for seniors either. Their philosophy, and this is what a store clerk told me two years ago, is that the seniors in the area have paid off their mortgages, all their kids are gone so they have all this 'extra' money to spend now. That's especially comforting to those who are apartment dwellers on a fixed income. And with the planned infusion of residential dwellings, Don Mills, the first planned community in Canada is now going to be the first planned nightmare in Canada.

I lived in Don Mills for 56 of my 59 years and I've seen it all from beginning to this recent 'demise'. We sold the family home last fall after my mom passed away and I have moved to an apartment in East York. I miss Don Mills but I was disappointed from the start when they built this monstrosity. Shopping is geared for the rich and famous, most of which don't live there. The building at 75 The Don Way, home to many resident's doctors is now a loft project. The post office has been ripped down which means you have to fight for a parking space in Shoppers. Even worse if you're a senior. And now the parking lot in front of the TD Bank is being turned into another condo apartment. It probably won't be long before that parking lot at street level turns into more condo high rises leaving you park on their streets if you can find a space or park two blocks away in the covered parking. Don Mills was a great place to live, but it sucks if you have to shop their. Metro, the former Dominion store is no bargain for seniors either. Their philosophy, and this is what a store clerk told me two years ago, is that the seniors in the area have paid off their mortgages, all their kids are gone so they have all this 'extra' money to spend now. That's especially comforting to those who are apartment dwellers on a fixed income. And with the planned infusion of residential dwellings, Don Mills, the first planned community in Canada is now going to be the first planned nightmare in Canada.

My 2 bits worth.

A few years ago, I had attended resident's meeting where the developer had outlined its plan for the shopping centre.

We were told that the Post Office building does not belong to the shopping centre owner.

There were supposed to be appx 10 buildings all along The Donway. There was a plan for a senior's building: retirement or nursing home had not been decided at that time.

You are right about Metro. Development was supposed to be 'upscale' to attract wealthy individuals from a wide area beyond Don Mills. That's why 'upscale' Metro. We are the collateral damage.

It's unfortunate to hear about this, especially as a student my classes often focus in on Don Mills and say how great it is now. It is just another story of gentrification, where the new richer residents slowly, but surely, push out existing residents and re-vamp the area.

I wish the best to you and your family.

The less surface parking lots there are, the better.

The less surface parking lots there are, the better.

+1,

The seniors argument seems silly at best. You're essentially arguing because the hopefully soon to be gone surface parking lot is now busier; seniors can't find a spot at the front ? If we were attempting to make some conscious effort to give them spaces near the front (which I don't think we were) you can build just reserved spots for them.

Secondly, parking for the most part is never removed blindly, it's generally added back through underground parking where warranted. This doesn't apply to underused lots as was the case here many times of the day.

Thirdly, the metro argument, I can see you're frustration here but conveniently there is a No Frills at Lawrence Ave E & Victoria Park Ave ?

Last edited:
April 06: lot more upon site.

Had my first real look at this project considering I never stop off to see as it was being built. Only did this because it was raised at a committee level that I am on. I give this a C+ as it has too many failures.

Failure is the sea of parking spaces on Don Mills with the buildings set too far back from the street. If those parking spots were put underground and mix development on top with retail at grade, the ranking would be higher. The next failure is none of these buildings are mix development and mostly single level. Having some other use above them would help the the streets a lot better. Lawrence Ave is a failure. Other than cost, not having the streets using pavers like the a couple of area, asphalt takes away from the area.

Other than those issue, this is a nice refreshing development that one doesn't need to get into a car to get to if they live within a block or 2 of the area. Most top name brand stores are here and those are not your standard run of the mill cookie cutters we see these days. That park area is a major attraction already considering it not finish.

Do to lack of energy and on my way home after 9 hours of shooting, never got a look at the towers up close. Will find another day to go back and do a full review with fresh eyes.
13742452475_b19ec4c8aa_b.jpg

13742445725_a671de6c1b_b.jpg

13742439825_60c10eb316_b.jpg

13742476323_872b5f9c53_b.jpg

13742841624_979e7d1d94_b.jpg

13742823194_39d673232d_b.jpg

13742427865_fe0c229a52_b.jpg

13742462513_f5261e5831_b.jpg

13742780344_b214dc3465_b.jpg

13742387135_b356bfcd99_b.jpg

13742382415_b6666dcbe5_b.jpg

13742807634_41cef122da_b.jpg