News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 861     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Shopper's World Danforth (RioCan, ?s, ?)

I could see some of the original Danforth façade retained, along with some Heritage Toronto plaques, as the site really does have an interesting history. Though it's that history, and not so much the building itself, that is worth preserving. RioCan isn't a terrible developer to work with, so they might be amenable to reasonable heritage recognition.

I’ve been waiting for this site to get a proposal for years. This has the potential to be huge. I’d love to see different height variations and some nice architecture.

Signs up to say that the Lowes is closing. Not sure if another tenant is coming in or what the plan is after they vacate.
This morning I saw a dozen or so yellow "Store Closing - Clearance Sale" lawn signs along Danforth and was wondering which store was closing? Thanks for the intel!

This is not related to potential redevelopment here.

This is part of a larger scale set of closures of Lowes/RONAs that will be happening early in the new year.

This location and the RONA at Warden/Comstock are both closing in January '24.

Riocan is still working on its plans for the site. I don't know if they will aggressively remarket the space or not. I expect any plans are awhile away from realization here; and I'd be inclined to start work (when that time comes) where the restaurant pad at Vic. Park/Danforth is) ; however, the space here may serve to allow for some tenant re-los during a development process.

But I imagine they would take a tenant or tenants if the latter would except early termination clause leases.

Of note, Lowes/RONA will create many empty boxes; the Nordstrom boxes still need filling; and another large Canadian retailer will add to the pile of vacant boxes early in '24. Sorry to be a bit tight lipped on that one, but can't say anything else yet.

Last edited:
This is not related to potential redevelopment here.

This is part of a larger scale set of closures of Lowes/RONAs that will be happening early in the new year.

This location and the RONA and Warden/Comstock are both closing in January '24.

Riocan is still working on its plans for the site. I don't know if they will aggressively remarket the space or not. I expect any plans are awhile away from realization here; and I'd be inclined to start work (when that time comes) where the restaurant pad at Vic. Park/Danforth is) ; however, the space here may serve to allow for some tenant re-los during a development process.

But I imagine they would take a tenant or tenants if the latter would except early termination clause leases.

Of note, Lowes/RONA will create many empty boxes; the Nordstrom boxes still need filling; and another large Canadian retailer will add to the pile of vacant boxes early in '24. Sorry to be a bit tight lipped on that one, but can't say anything else yet.
“”Of note, Lowes/RONA will create many empty boxes; the Nordstrom boxes still need filling; and another large Canadian retailer will add to the pile of vacant boxes early in '24. Sorry to be a bit tight lipped on that one, but can't say anything else yet.“”

I’ll assume it’s Saks / Saks off 5th
Although The Bay has also been going downhill for the last decade or so but for some reason I don’t see them closing up shop

Heard the Canadian Tire will be relocating to this location after Rona vacates.

Interesting. The CT site is further advanced in Planning than Shopper's World........ but it's not really close to going forward either.

That would be a 'get' for Riocan, even if it's only short-term.

The City's desire for a large central park on the current CT site might preclude returning the store there. Interesting.

Last edited:
Rumours of Canadian Tire sound convenient but, as others have said, redevelopment of the property is years if not a decade away. The development site is large enough to keep the current store open while a new podium level store is built. CT has done it before. The current store was built while the original store remained open. It was complicated requiring a two phased approach as the original store occupied a portion of the current store's footprint.

The best hope for the vacated Lowes is a temporary outlet store or Metro wanting to expand. My guess is it will sit vacant for many years. This area is grocery store central. It's not a shopping district in which you would consider rebuilding the mall with smaller boutique stores. Any basis to the Canadian Tire rumour is probably not for a Canadian Tire store right now but for one or two of their growing list of brands.

Back