News   Jul 16, 2024
 597     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Shoplifter at Lucky Moose gets off

marathe

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone remember a few months ago when the guy was busted stealing trees from the Lucky Moose?

The story was that he was boosting trees from outside the store, the store owner pursues him (after having seen him do this same crime several times before via security camera), catches him, ties him up and waits for the police to arrive.

Shopkeeper may have used a bit of force to subdue the thief (force plus one, standard protocol in dealing with a citizen's arrest), and was then charged with kidnapping and assault.

Now its come out that the thief's sentence has been reduced in exchange for testifying against the store owner.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...tching-thief-has-day-in-court/article1333255/

Opinions?

I used to run HR for a security company that focused a great deal on loss prevention and thus know a great deal of current and former LPs. Personally, I think the store owner should get a medal and be allowed to run a course on how to deal with thieves.

Anyone remember a few months ago when the guy was busted stealing trees from the Lucky Moose?

The story was that he was boosting trees from outside the store, the store owner pursues him (after having seen him do this same crime several times before via security camera), catches him, ties him up and waits for the police to arrive.

Shopkeeper may have used a bit of force to subdue the thief (force plus one, standard protocol in dealing with a citizen's arrest), and was then charged with kidnapping and assault.

Now its come out that the thief's sentence has been reduced in exchange for testifying against the store owner.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...tching-thief-has-day-in-court/article1333255/

Opinions?

I used to run HR for a security company that focused a great deal on loss prevention and thus know a great deal of current and former LPs. Personally, I think the store owner should get a medal and be allowed to run a course on how to deal with thieves.

Absolutely retarded! It basically tells thieves to keep on stealing and nothing will be done to stop you. How did the legal system become so f*%ked up?

I found this case totally stupid. Didn't know the thief would be getting a lighter charge for testifying though, but that only makes things so much more stupid.

First of all, what does that say about how society/the government wants people to deal with crime? "Let the police take care of it (if they can/want to,) and otherwise you're out of luck? If someone's stupid enough to rob a store, they deserve a few bruises and maybe even a knocked out tooth if the business owner/employee decides to take matters into their own hands by making a citizen's arrest.

Part of this may be the police not wanting masked vigilantes running around town, but I think people should be confident in their right to act as a branch of the law and their ability to make a citizen's arrest. If I was a business owner and saw someone stealing my stuff, I sure wouldn't wait to call the police and sit around till they come (which depending on the crime could probably be ages.) I'd go after their asses, and they'd better be ready for it!

I applaud this man for taking matters into his own hands though, and I hope someone comes up and points out the stupidity of this case.

Idiotic. The right to defend yourself and your property should be unassailable. And the fact that the cops decide to pursue the shopkeeper's case as opposed to the thief's is ridiculous. I have a friend on the force, I'm going to find out what she and her fellow officers think about this.

http://citynews.video.citytv.com/video/45959805001/Lucky-Moose-Owner-Gets-His-Day-In-Court/

I think they're charging the shop owner because the police union feels threatened having non union members do their jobs. If all shopkeepers handled shoplifters on their own then we wouldn't need as many police.

Seems crazy right? But the garbage union had the exact same reaction to other people doing their jobs, watch this

http://citynews.video.citytv.com/video/25324791001/CityNews-Rewind-The-Garbage-Strike-of-2002/

Two city garbage men stop to harass private trash collectors during the strike, preventing them from taking away the trash, even pushing them onto the trash piles.

The police are doing the exact same thing here, except it's not trash they're throwing back onto the street, it's a well known shoplifter.

http://citynews.video.citytv.com/video/45959805001/Lucky-Moose-Owner-Gets-His-Day-In-Court/

I think they're charging the shop owner because the police union feels threatened having non union members do their jobs. If all shopkeepers handled shoplifters on their own then we wouldn't need as many police.

I doubt that very much. That would amount to vigilateism, which I don't think most Torontonians would favour. The law is clear, if you make a citizen's arrest, you have to call the police immediately.

I wish this shopkeeper well. I can't understand him being charged. Especially stupid, in the whole stupid picture, is the fact that he was charged with having a dangerous weapon, a box cutter, a normal thing to have for people who work in a store. Years ago, when I worked part time in a supermarket as a student, I had a box cutter and it never occurred to me that anyone would consider it a dangerous weapon.

I understand that the shopkeeper has the right to be tried before a jury and is insisting on exercising that right. I wonder if the prosecution really expects to find 12 jurors who will even consider thinking about a conviction?

I wish this shopkeeper well. I can't understand him being charged. Especially stupid, in the whole stupid picture, is the fact that he was charged with having a dangerous weapon, a box cutter, a normal thing to have for people who work in a store. Years ago, when I worked part time in a supermarket as a student, I had a box cutter and it never occurred to me that anyone would consider it a dangerous weapon.

i agree, it's totally ludacrous ...

if an employee of a grocery store has a box cutter is considered carrying a dangerous weapon, then the police should be out charging EVERY grocery store employee at Metro, No Frill's, Loblaws, Food Basics, etc.

i agree, it's totally ludacrous ...

if an employee of a grocery store has a box cutter is considered carrying a dangerous weapon, then the police should be out charging EVERY grocery store employee at Metro, No Frill's, Loblaws, Food Basics, etc.

come on, you gotta be kidding. just because he owns or has on his possession a box cutter, he's getting charged for that? did he threaten or attack anybody with it?

I'm a former shopkeeper in chinatown who has been victimized like Mr. Chen.
I also understand why Mr. Chen was arrested for kidnapping as a literal interpretation of the law, but the prosecution pursuing it and making the thief a crown witness, is beyond comprehension.

Such an occurance is not unheard of, but usually a charge like that against Mr. Chen, is merely a formality to "go through the motions" and dropped given the circumstances.

Watch this story blow up in the city's and the prosecution's face. The international chinese media is already catching wind of it.

I'm disgusted. Absolutely disgusted.

The biggest mistake here was notifying the police. Reminds me of that guy in small town BC that fired his shotgun at a fleeing thief who'd been stealing from the town for months. He called the police and was then charged with the firearms offense.

The moral of the story is to remember that the police are on the side of the law, not the side of the citizenry or commonsense.

I'm a former shopkeeper in chinatown who has been victimized like Mr. Chen.
I also understand why Mr. Chen was arrested for kidnapping as a literal interpretation of the law, but the prosecution pursuing it and making the thief a crown witness, is beyond comprehension.

Such an occurance is not unheard of, but usually a charge like that against Mr. Chen, is merely a formality to "go through the motions" and dropped given the circumstances.

Watch this story blow up in the city's and the prosecution's face. The international chinese media is already catching wind of it.

I'm disgusted. Absolutely disgusted.

If the crown gets stubborn - it will be blown out of the water by a jury.

Back