582     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Sheppard Line Purple

DENTROBATE54

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Helvetica font is common to all stations. Only Downsview deviates from this by the usage of sentence case over TITLE CASE for it's name signs. Nice that Museum at least retains this trend in a system increasingly consisting of dissimilar stations (tacky fuschia stripes all over the Sheppard line even on entrance signs, for instance, that makes one yearn for the simplistic elegance of a white 'subway' sign with an iconic red rocket or red banner with simple bold white lettering).

Helvetica font is common to all stations. Only Downsview deviates from this by the usage of sentence case over TITLE CASE for it's name signs. Nice that Museum at least retains this trend in a system increasingly consisting of dissimilar stations (tacky fuschia stripes all over the Sheppard line even on entrance signs, for instance, that makes one yearn for the simplistic elegance of a white 'subway' sign with an iconic red rocket or red banner with simple bold white lettering).

It's the line's colour, so it's on the entrance sign. Isn't it too late to question this now? The stripe at track level is that line's trademark since there are no tiles on the wall beside the tracks. That is elegant and simple, even if the colour isn't. Actually, there's a bit of irony in that.

It is the purple line, after all. Tourists and anyone not intimately familiar with the TTC would call lines by their colour, and once we start getting more than a couple of lines, such a stripe becomes a useful reference point.

Anyone for puce?
19653879_4ac91ef71b_m.jpg

If they came up with something as random as magenta for Sheppard, perhaps they were to go with pink for Eglinton ;) . I think red isn't that logical since it's the TTC's colour. A single red subway line would seem to have some precedence or importance. That and of course it's already used to designate surface routes.

I remember seeing Orange for some reason, which they had previously (briefly) used for Harbourfront LRT as well.

I remember seeing Orange for some reason, which they had previously (briefly) used for Harbourfront LRT as well.

When I was ten-ish, the Orange colour for the LRT made me think it was a subway. I was disappointed to find that it was just a streetcar.

Of course, "just a streetcar" isn't in my vocabulary anymore.

If they came up with something as random as magenta for Sheppard, perhaps they were to go with pink for Eglinton ;) . I think red isn't that logical since it's the TTC's colour. A single red subway line would seem to have some precedence or importance. That and of course it's already used to designate surface routes.

Sheppard's colour is not magenta. It is Pantone Purple; in CMYK it is made up of 43 cyan and 91 magenta.

Red was out of the running because of its use for bus lines on Ride Guide maps. Orange was briefly in use for the Harbourfront LRT, but was replaced with red on that line when the Ride Guide was expanded to include surrounding rapid transit systems: Mississauga Transit needed the orange to match its corporate identity.

It will be great if someday we are asking ourselves "anyone for puce"? I'd kill to have a teal line to ride somewhere, while I'm less excited about the ecru express.

Back