News   May 01, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 305     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Ford is winning the next election easy. He is spearheading the largest transit expansion in history that no other Premier was able to pull off.
Let's see what the RCMP will have to say about that when they conclude their investigation.

I will say though, the amount of transit we're getting built under this government is really impressive and it shows that the previous Wynne government really dragged their feet and was embarrassingly slow at doing anything on that file. The fact that all we got under her government in 5 years was essentially the Finch West LRT and some GO early work projects for GO Expansion is a joke; they wasted a lot of our time when they could've built a lot more.

You're right, Ford should definitely get a participation trophy for spending money. The Feds are responsible for probably 40% of that.
Ford certainly deserves credit for getting this moving. But elections aren't won in this; and even then one sees years and years of delays.

I'm not sure where toronto's confidence that Ford will ask be leader during the next election.

New leaders have done 180-degree changes before. Remember Miller cancelling the ALRT.

Ford certainly deserves credit for getting this moving. But elections aren't won in this; and even then one sees years and years of delays.

I'm not sure where toronto's confidence that Ford will ask be leader during the next election.

New leaders have done 180-degree changes before. Remember Miller cancelling the ALRT.
All parties have indicated that they will let all existing projects continue as is. Also next election is late 2026 by then all constructions will be well under progress and have poison pills in them to cancel them. Important to keep in mind all the tunnels /elevated guideways will likely be completed or very close to be completed for the OL/EGWLRT/SSE/YNSE.

Last edited:
it shows that the previous Wynne government really dragged their feet and was embarrassingly slow at doing anything on that file. The fact that all we got under her government in 5 years was essentially the Finch West LRT and some GO early work projects for GO Expansion is a joke; they wasted a lot of our time when they could've built a lot more.

Well now.............

I'm all for burying former Premier Wynne for the Hydro One debacle, or for being late to the game on some progressive policies (minimum wage, paid sick days) among other things. Certainly, the government she led was slow on GO Expansion.....

But....

Eglinton Crosstown TBMs went in the ground the year she became premier. At the time, this would have been the largest public transit expansion (single line) in North America.

The TYSSE was also underway and wrapped in 2017 on her watch.

It was also on Wynne's watch that GO Lakeshore first moved to every 30M off-peak service from hourly; a literal doubling of off peak service, on that corridor.

So I don't think its fair to say no major transit got built during her time as Premier.

There was arguably more dawdling during the McGuinty years, though they did deliver UPX, and started TYSSE.

Ford is winning the next election easy. He is spearheading the largest transit expansion in history that no other Premier was able to pull off.
No, he still has his other scandals to deal with that will accumulate in voters' minds.

That being said, IMO the difference is though is that Ford has never appealed as a 'good person', rather as a brawler/mob boss who 'gets things done' + Ontario's perceived crisis situation gave him legitimacy in that claim.

This means that he suffers less from the broken pedestal syndrome (knowing that a hero has disappointed you) that other politicians like Trudeau are suffering from, and that whatever good he does comes off as more of a pleasing surprise (i.e. transit, Toronto funding). The trouble comes if Ford is unable to 'get things done'- especially with housing.

Last edited:
Well now.............

I'm all for burying former Premier Wynne for the Hydro One debacle, or for being late to the game on some progressive policies (minimum wage, paid sick days) among other things. Certainly, the government she led was slow on GO Expansion.....

But....

Eglinton Crosstown TBMs went in the ground the year she became premier. At the time, this would have been the largest public transit expansion (single line) in North America.

The TYSSE was also underway and wrapped in 2017 on her watch.

It was also on Wynne's watch that GO Lakeshore first moved to every 30M off-peak service from hourly; a literal doubling of off peak service, on that corridor.

So I don't think its fair to say no major transit got built during her time as Premier.

There was arguably more dawdling during the McGuinty years, though they did deliver UPX, and started TYSSE.
Oh i'll never forget about that disaster Hydro One fiasco. That was an absolute mess and just a mindless disregard for basically every member of the general public.

Regarding the Eglinton Crosstown and TYSSE, I cant in good faith give her credit for those as the process for those were already underway as she got into office. Much in the same way I dont give Doug Ford credit for the Finch West LRT. The TBMs were either already in the ground (TYSSE) or on their way (Crosstown).

So really in the 5 years of Wynne, all we got is GO Transit infrastructure improvements (which i wont downplay, it's certainly substantial) but at the same time it's pathetic that this along with the Finch West LRT was really the major projects that got kicked off under her watch. Part of me doesnt even want to give credit to the Wynne government for the Finch West LRT as that one took too long to get off the ground, and I still remember the good old days where we were all worried if Doug Ford would cancel that project when he came to office but couldnt because of the poison pill in the contracts.

As for McGuinty, well that guy was a master at dragging his feet with transit expansion projects.

I think Ford's biggest threat for the next election is a seemingly inevitable Conservative win at the Federal level.

His provincial opponents seem like second or third stringers. One is Doug Light and the other is mostly invisible except for things like subsidizing trucks on the 407. I wouldn't mind a change, but there seems to be only poor options.

I didn't like the UP when it was $27.50, and I don't like it now that it is probably just subsidized for that.

You're right, Ford should definitely get a participation trophy for spending money. The Feds are responsible for probably 40% of that.

Not even close. The Feds budget $2-3B per year split across Canada. The last provincial budget plans something like $75B over a decade.

Being the in the GTA and getting 100% of most transit projects paid for by higher levels of government really messes up your perspective. Ask Ottawa about the deal they got for their transit projects.

Not even close. The Feds budget $2-3B per year split across Canada. The last provincial budget plans something like $75B over a decade.

Being the in the GTA and getting 100% of most transit projects paid for by higher levels of government really messes up your perspective. Ask Ottawa about the deal they got for their transit projects.
The standard funding method for projects has been 40% funded by the Federal government, and this is the case with line 1 and 2 extensions and Crosstown West. Here’s a link by Mass Transit

Also next election is late 2026 by then all constructions will be well under progress and have poison pills in them to cancel them.
I can't see construction being well underway by late 2026. Nor do I see federal funding.

Hopefully they'll have at least awarded it. But I think it's the most at risk project of the latest projects (this, Line 5 extension from Renforth to Pearson, Line 10 extension to Brampton, Line 6 extension to Woodbine GO, etc.).

But this is all prefaced on Ford surviving and a PC replacement continuing support.

He's doing no worse than Justin.
??? I'm not aware of any police investigations of Trudeau or cabinet.

We are already past the point that McGuinty resigned.

The standard funding method for projects has been 40% funded by the Federal government, and this is the case with line 1 and 2 extensions and Crosstown West. Here’s a link by Mass Transit

That was in 2021. And it still doesn't come close to justifying the argument that Ford should get a "participation trophy" when the provincial government is paying the majority of the cost of most transit construction in the GTA. As if going from 33% to 40% share is why we're having a transit boom in Ontario. How much are the GTA municipalities pitching in for these projects?

Back