News   Jul 15, 2024
 398     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

... this should work to counteract Wynne's low poll numbers.

I disagree with that actually. I think another major TTC project funded mostly by the province would drop her approval ratings even further. One of the primary criticisms of her leadership has been that it is Toronto centric; the others have been lack of execution on promised change, and not reigning in spending.

So what exactly has happened?

City council has given direction to the planning department to do a study on a Sheppard Subway extension. Basically to decide if the old EA should be updated or not.

If the study results are encouraging, the next step would be to do a Sheppard Subway EA. By the time that's updated both the city and province will have gone through an election.

So what exactly has happened?
I disagree with that actually. I think another major TTC project funded mostly by the province would drop her approval ratings even further. One of the primary criticisms of her leadership has been that it is Toronto centric; the others have been lack of execution on promised change, and not reigning in spending.
Their moving for a motion to study. Wynne will need the GTA to pull out a win, so this with RER should be good. Brampton GO service next summer too. This is a power play and it will be sucessful imo

It blows my mind that not one single politician or major transit advocate (like Steve Munro) has endorsed conversion of the Sheppard Subway. They must really want SRT debate round two.

It blows my mind that not one single politician or major transit advocate (like Steve Munro) has endorsed conversion of the Sheppard Subway. They must really want SRT debate round two.
I don't even see the problems with conversion. The station platforms are long enough you can upgrade half the platform at a time.

Estimate by the TTC was $600 million. I don't think that took into account the clearance issues that were later brought up, though.

That's ($600M) the conversion to LRT cost (maybe in 2006$), where the trains are taller. I have not seen a cost associated with conversion to SkyTrain. Those cars are not as tall and the conversion cost is likely minimal.

I am starting to think that Sheppard LRT should be cancelled or deferred, and the funding transferred to SSE in order to make it cross 401 and end at Sheppard. That will make many of the locals happier, as they will have a shorter bus ride either to Don Mills subway or the McCowan / Sheppard subway terminus.

Buses can continue to serve Sheppard East between Don Mills and the east end, for the time being. An express branch can be added. This is not one of the busiest corridors in the city, anyway.

If some funding is left, it should be transferred to the Eglinton East / Kingston Road LRT. That LRT seems to have everyone's support, and nobody demands a subway in that corridor.

That's ($600M) the conversion to LRT cost (maybe in 2006$), where the trains are taller. I have not seen a cost associated with conversion to SkyTrain. Those cars are not as tall and the conversion cost is likely minimal.

It should be easier to convert the subway to SkyTrain, or to another type of mini-metro with conventional motive power, as long as they are all high-floor.

But, an elevated line between Don Mills and Kennedy will not be popular with the locals. A lot of resistance can be expected.

Tunnel height is the problem. Not sure what kind of expense we'd be looking at to rectify that issue. Likely in the billions of dollars.
Order an LRT vehicle that is shorter and has a foldable pantograph.

This isn't rocket science. If Bombardier doesn't want to design a vehicle like that, than we can go to Siemans or some other company. As a major world city, we have bargaining power wherever we go with our order.

It should be easier to convert the subway to SkyTrain, or to another type of mini-metro with conventional motive power, as long as they are all high-floor.

But, an elevated line between Don Mills and Kennedy will not be popular with the locals. A lot of resistance can be expected.
That's too bad then. That's the only way to keep cost down. Other cities, the subways are outside.

Back