News   Jul 19, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 684     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

These CodeRed people really aggravate me. You couldn't find a more pro-LRT group of LRTistas if you tried.
Why, because they tell the truth? Point out where they are wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with being very pro-LRT on an aligment that could never justify subway because of low ridership.

There won't be a subway extension to Vic Park, anyway. No one is going to push such plan. Neither Metrolinx, nor John Tory, and not even those Scarborough councilors who are generally pro-subway.

It will be LRT, BRT, or nothing at all if the opposition to surface transit lanes appears too vocal.

Last edited:
There won't be a subway extension to Vic Park, anyway. No one is going to push such plan. Neither Metrolinx, nor John Tory, and not even those Scarborough councilors who are generally pro-subway.

It will be LRT, BRT, or nothing at all if the opposition to surface transit lanes appears too vocal.

If we start to implement perfectly reasonable and affordable plans then what would we have to bitch about? My vote is to build nothing, so we can keep the discussion alive.

If we start to implement perfectly reasonable and affordable plans then what would we have to bitch about? My vote is to build nothing, so we can keep the discussion alive.

:)

Though, there are dozens of other plans and routes to bitch about :)

I'm all for LRT on Sheppard, but in all seriousness, they could eliminate quite a number of stops along the route.

Last edited:
Since the transfer between the Sheppard subway and a future Sheppard East LRT at Don Mills station is obviously such a ridiculous thing, and the cause of a lot of hesitation / outright hostility from residents, could not the Sheppard subway continue through that station and run on the ROW that this proposed for the LRT?

i.e. a "surface subway" like many regions of our subway lines.

Admittedly this isn't ideal (this whole corridor should have been LRT since the beginning), but it could be the best current solution. It's better than a forced transfer. It's cheaper than tunneling, especially on a route that doesn't justify it.

We have many areas in the city where subways run on the surface. Was this considered for this corridor?

I would have it leave Sheppard and reclassify it as an uptown line with express stop spacing at only significant streets, and have the insignificant street busses redirect to the closest stations. And at Rouge Hill the easterners will have the option for a fast ride to uptown Toronto.

My issue with that Code Red TO graphic is that it is unnecessarily dragging up a fight that no one is currently having.

The LRT had tacit approval from most candidates. There was no concern of this subway extension coming back up. All subway talk has been focused on the Danforth extension, and the Sheppard LRT has miraculously been flying under the radar.

At least, not until they reposted this, and got everyone talking!

Since the transfer between the Sheppard subway and a future Sheppard East LRT at Don Mills station is obviously such a ridiculous thing
Why is the transfer from one vehicle to another such a ridiculous thing? It's a huge improvement on the currernt transfer to bus from the very deep platform!

It's no where near as ridiculous as extending the subway where there isn't the demand - at least any further than Victoria Park.

Even if you did extend the subway, you still have to have a transfer at some point.

My issue with that Code Red TO graphic is that it is unnecessarily dragging up a fight that no one is currently having.

The LRT had tacit approval from most candidates. There was no concern of this subway extension coming back up. All subway talk has been focused on the Danforth extension, and the Sheppard LRT has miraculously been flying under the radar.

At least, not until they reposted this, and got everyone talking!

Exactly, they should shut up already.

Since the transfer between the Sheppard subway and a future Sheppard East LRT at Don Mills station is obviously such a ridiculous thing, and the cause of a lot of hesitation / outright hostility from residents, could not the Sheppard subway continue through that station and run on the ROW that this proposed for the LRT?

i.e. a "surface subway" like many regions of our subway lines.

Admittedly this isn't ideal (this whole corridor should have been LRT since the beginning), but it could be the best current solution. It's better than a forced transfer. It's cheaper than tunneling, especially on a route that doesn't justify it.

We have many areas in the city where subways run on the surface. Was this considered for this corridor?

This "forced transfer" thing is way overblown. All you will have to do is walk across the platform (no stairs required). Running a subway through the LRT ROW is not gonna happen because of the electrified third rail, among other reasons. All places where subways run on the surface also have tall metal fences for that reason. How are pedestrians and cars supposed to cross the tracks?

11284583585_8c573441b9_o.jpg

Back