News   Aug 06, 2024
 929     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 835     2 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 528     0 

Sharon Yetman's Subway Safety Plan (Better barrier for subways 'an obsession')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might it be possible that these trained experts know more about the Building Code than your simple perusal of it?

Like the ones who inspected and approved the renovation at Yonge and Gould?

It's one thing to design things to the Building Code. It is another thing to ensure it is constructed properly. As the 'Tatami Restaurant' werea large sign was attached to the facade reasonbly resently prior to the collapse, I'm reasonable sure that the Engineer that designed and approved that structural wall (which didn't fall) will be cleared of wrong-doing/negligence. Whoever designed the sign anchors obviously didn't make them long enough, IMO, which generally isn't a code issue.

Subway Safety

Well I'M BACK

Did you know that in TTC's own report, they say:

"Unless we obtain a 30 second dwell for Yonge and Bloor WE CAN NOT ADD ANY TRAINS WITH AUTOMATIC TRAIN CONTROL.

What is Toronto going to do, when their trains are full before they even reach Toronto's borders/boarders?

I have the answer to both.

For those transit advocates, I will be doing a deputation at TTC 's next Commisssioners meeting Sept 30th.

I will be seeking a comparativer study: of NON EDGE PLATFORM SAFETY,....... TO THAT OF "TRADITIONAL EDGE SAFETY".

If anyone is curious to find out either, how to make their transit system "G R E A T ", better in my mind is not good enough.

Just send a simple email to gso@ttc.ca and ask the commissioners to do a comparative study, since it will be on the agenda Sept 30th.

Your email has to be received by Sept 29th, noon. and have your return address info on it.

IFor those who followed this forum earlier. I NOW HAVE 2 METHODS AS TO HOW TO MOVE AN EXTRA 1 MILLION PASSENGERS DAILY TO DOWNTOWN TORONTO. No one will know the ultimate truth of this unless the comparative study is down.

There is proof of concept in Santiago Metro, in Chile, of Station Skipping, which ideally is EXPRESS SUBWAYS FOR TORONTO, BUT IS ALL STARTS WITH SAFETY, bUT NOT THE 10 MILLION DOLLAR A STATION METHOD, BUT rather, about $50,000 to $200,000 a station with an enclosed section of automatic doors in front of each stairwell exit. How simple is that.

I have even figured out how to make 2 exits, out of one exit from the platform, without having to do any tunnelling or house exproapriation.

Sharon.

I swear I thought this thing had died a horrible maggot infested death. I was mistaken, Mods I implore you to close this thread... Or encourage Sharon to run for mayor..

But if they close it down, we'll never know why the Sept. 30 meeting gets cancelled, changed, reorganized ...

You figured out how to make 2 exits from 1 exit.

No wonder the Dragon's rejected your idea. I won't be sending an e-mail to the TTC on your behalf.

Last edited:
Well I'M BACK

Yes, you are apparently back.

Did you happen to bring an explanation as to why the TTC hasn't bothered to do anything after you pointed out the glaring problem of their stations being against the building code?

Did you happen to bring an explanation as to why the province is completely ignoring this supposed violation of the building code?

What about your meetings with high level TTC folk, including the General Manager, who were are very enthused about your ground-breaking solution to move thousands? Why are you then still lobbying to have the commission hear your basic proposal?

What about your claim that "I am also working closely with several of the main Mayoral Candidates of promise and they get it"? How come not a single one bothered to mention any of your contributions? Surely in an era of 'cutting the fat' your Walmart doors solution would be a gold mine.

If anything, your latest post is an argument to send an email to gso@ttc.ca and ask that the Commission stop wasting time and precious dollars on completely unsubstantiated and mythical proposals that don't even pass the basic smell test.

I would love to send them an email about this...but I have no idea what I'm emailing them about. Maybe you should explain what the hell you're talking about, apart from the the fact that it's "G R E A T". From your extremely limited description it almost sounds like the new plan is lock people in the stairwells until alighting passengers have cleared the platform.

subway safety

I would love to send them an email about this...but I have no idea what I'm emailing them about. Maybe you should explain what the hell you're talking about, apart from the the fact that it's "G R E A T". From your extremely limited description it almost sounds like the new plan is lock people in the stairwells until alighting passengers have cleared the platform.

Oh boys, here we go again.

The bottom line, it is a concept. and it is a fact. People are the limiting factor as to why, transit does not move, is gridlocked, or in otherwords, stuck in tunnels, lined up not moving, waiting for Yonge/Bloor station to do it's thing 9THE ULTIMATE WEAK LINK OF TORONTO, or people are having to be cleaned up from the pit, causing more delays.

It is an entire mentality and reality shift. ............trains are not the problem ...... people are.

It's all about, where you load people, how you load people, and yes potentially for many 2 to 8 stations, one single door at the bottom of the stairs, is platform safety. A timer at the top of the stairs, allows for perfect timing such that you wait at the top for under 2 minutes, instead of risk your life, or throw your coffee cup into the pit, or charge and pry and break the subway door, further delaying the train, and of course, such that you don't jump.

Anyway, this is one very small piece of several solutions. This could be for a station that only has volume for say under 30 persons.

Gerneally, most stations, would have a rectangular shape, containing your people, near to the stairwell, but people would generally wait on the platform, in the safe environment.

Subway delays, accout for 2.23 hours to Toronto shut down weekly.

track fires, deaths, accidental falls, murders, door jams. etc.

But with safety, you then can incorporate EXPRESS SUBWAYS, ..... STATION SKIPPING, AND YOU CAN ENCORPORATION, ALSO TUNNELLING LOADING, meaning now the trains can be 7, 8, 9 cars long. It's all about people, and the apparatus,
to keep them safe, to keep them ordererly, and to strategically load you train realtive to the BIG PICTURE PLAN.

tHIS IS WHY NON- EDGE SAFETY, NEEDS TO HAVE A COMPARATIVE STUDY TO THAT OF TRADITIONAL EDGE SAFETY.

oNE COSTS 10 MILLION PER STATION............ OF YOUR TAX DOLLARS, (NOT MINE), i LIVE IN THE NORTH.,,,, OR COST SOME where between $50,000 and $200,000 per station for most all stations, there willl be a feww stations like Yonge and Bloor, which is one complete straight wall about 5 or 6 feet back which acts as a PEOPLE CONTROLLER, CROWD CONTROL, REMOVAL OF PUSH AND SHOVE, AND AS A DWELL TIME CONTROLLER, .....AND IT IS SIMPLY, A LONG WALL OF SECTIONS OF AUTOMATED DOORS,

AN 'IN ' SECTION............AN 'OUT SECTION...........AN IN SECTION...............AN OUT SECTIONS.

ORDER IS NOW ON THE PLATFORM, AND EFFICIENCY AND SAFETY GOES WITH IT.

YES i MET WITH MR. wEBSTER ON APRIL 27TH,..............i RECEIVED NO CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM HIM.

................HE GAVE ME NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER !!!!!

tHE QUESTION IS WHY???

i AM NOW WORKING WITH BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND TOP PEOPLE WITH METROLINX, AND CANADIAN URBAN INSTITUTE.
AND YES, i AM WORKING WITH MAYORS OF PROMISE.

pOLITICS AND POWER, ARE FUNNY THINGS. EMAILS FROM THE PUBLIC TO gso@ttc.ca, before Sept 29th, noon, with your return address info on it, seeking a comparative study EDGE SAFETY, compared to NON EDGE SAFETY. WILL VERIFY, THE WRONGNESS, OR THE RIGHTNESS OF MY WORK,.......and provide hope for 'GREAT' THINGS FOR your transit system.

We all know it sucks, now !!!!
sHARON.

First off, a concept is NOT a fact. It is a concept, an idea.

And stopping people at the bottom of the stairs and then letting them through like a cattle pen? Oh yeah, great idea. Should make for some real happy commuters.

Trains can now be 7,8,9 cars long? Ummm, just how long do you think they are now?

Have you ever actually ridden the subway?

Is someone off their medication?

At least I have a life of purpose, not like yours Graphic Matt.

In answering the building code issue. I met with Toronto's Building Chief Director and Assistant Building chief.

The problem was........ there was some "fine print", printed in some other document that basically says something like.

If the platform is say 9 feet in narrowness, then you must have platform safety as per Section 3.3.1.17,

however, if it is say wider than 9 feet, then you DO NOT REQUIRE SAFETY.

aND as described to me you only have 1 year to object to the actions within the code at the time. That time frame has be extended to 2 years if one is contested the code objective or building code issues.

No I am not off my medicine.

Yes I ride the subway.

and yes, this forum is a waste of time.

and yes, my work is not a waste of time.
Sharon. There, now I gave a little bit of my "attitude" back. Not my normal way though.

It is an entire mentality and reality shift. ............trains are not the problem ...... people are.

Agreed. The subways could run so much more efficiently if they didn't have the annoying problem of having to transport people. They should be banned from the system.

It's all about, where you load people, how you load people, and yes potentially for many 2 to 8 stations, one single door at the bottom of the stairs, is platform safety. A timer at the top of the stairs, allows for perfect timing such that you wait at the top for under 2 minutes, instead of risk your life, or throw your coffee cup into the pit, or charge and pry and break the subway door, further delaying the train, and of course, such that you don't jump.

I am completely missing the message here. Are you saying that when users have to deal with two directional stairwell travel (like maybe having to keep to the right half of the stairs) that they are putting their lives at risk? That they are being forced to throw their coffee cups on to the subway tracks? Or that the aggravation of it all might make them want to jump in front of a train? I'm sure that after being held at the top of the stairs for 2 minutes that once released there would be no herd stampeding down the stairs and charging the subway doors.

Anyway, this is one very small piece of several solutions. This could be for a station that only has volume for say under 30 persons.

Please list all the subway stations that have a volume of under 30 persons. For that matter, name a single subway station with a volume of under 30 persons.

Gerneally, most stations, would have a rectangular shape, containing your people, near to the stairwell, but people would generally wait on the platform, in the safe environment.

Generally, what shape do you think most stations are right now, if not rectangular? Triangular? Hexagonal?

Why are you wanting to cram all waiting passengers near to the stairwell instead of spreading out along the platform (so as to better make use of all the subway doors)?

Subway delays, accout for 2.23 hours to Toronto shut down weekly.

And delaying passengers for up to 2 minutes at the top of stairwells for each and every train (say, 20 trains/hr, 16hr/day, 5 days/wk) would only account for 53 hours of delays a week.

track fires, deaths, accidental falls, murders, door jams. etc.

How many accidental falls are you willing to accept as the herds stampede down stairwells after being corralled for up to 2 minutes?

How many murders actually happen on the subway and how many of them have anything to do with their being no platform barrier? How would adding 48 sliding doors from Walmart to station platforms (in addition to the existing 48 doors on the trains) reduce door jams?

But with safety, you then can incorporate EXPRESS SUBWAYS, ..... STATION SKIPPING, AND YOU CAN ENCORPORATION, ALSO TUNNELLING LOADING, meaning now the trains can be 7, 8, 9 cars long. It's all about people, and the apparatus,
to keep them safe, to keep them ordererly, and to strategically load you train realtive to the BIG PICTURE PLAN.

Have you bothered to include in your big picture plan how you expect to fit trains 7, 8 or 9 cars long in existing stations?

What do you mean by "encorporation"? I can't find it in the dictionary. Why have you not bothered to address any of the painfully obvious problems with station skipping that this thread already pointed out to you months ago?

tHIS IS WHY NON- EDGE SAFETY, NEEDS TO HAVE A COMPARATIVE STUDY TO THAT OF TRADITIONAL EDGE SAFETY.

I can do that comparative study right now, for Rob Ford kind of money: you have presented no rational evidence or explanation as to how your suggestions are remotely logical or feasible. The TTC should pass on further investigation. Cost to taxpayers of this comparative study: $0.

oNE COSTS 10 MILLION PER STATION............ OF YOUR TAX DOLLARS, (NOT MINE), i LIVE IN THE NORTH.,,,,

And apparently have no real world concept of what the Toronto subway system is like. Go figure.

there willl be a feww stations like Yonge and Bloor, which is one complete straight wall about 5 or 6 feet back which acts as a PEOPLE CONTROLLER, CROWD CONTROL, REMOVAL OF PUSH AND SHOVE, AND AS A DWELL TIME CONTROLLER, .....AND IT IS SIMPLY, A LONG WALL OF SECTIONS OF AUTOMATED DOORS,

How does removing 5 or 6 feet of platform space from a crowded station like Y&B remove the push and shove situation? Are you aware that it wasn't all that long ago that they expanded the Yonge line platform specifically to handle larger numbers of people? And now you want to reverse that process and take away 5 or 6 feet?

YES i MET WITH MR. wEBSTER ON APRIL 27TH,..............i RECEIVED NO CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM HIM.

................HE GAVE ME NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER !!!!!

Then why did you claim you changed his demeanor? You said he was very interested in your ideas?

I think the reality of the 'no response whatsoever' is more of a 'stop bugging me and sending your silly demands for a meeting to my office'.

tHE QUESTION IS WHY???

Please see every question directed at you in this thread over past months that you have very obviously avoided answering.

i AM NOW WORKING WITH BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND TOP PEOPLE WITH METROLINX, AND CANADIAN URBAN INSTITUTE.
AND YES, i AM WORKING WITH MAYORS OF PROMISE.

No you're not. You claimed the same thing previously and provided no evidence of such. Not a single one of these important people you claimed you already met and impressed has made the slightest mention of your proposals.

Thanks for bringing the amusement factor to the board.

I think the issue here is not whether there are safer ways to run the subway, but better ways. Adding safety devices that are complicated or costly or that somehow slow the operation of the system may not be the best solution if the problem that is being solved is negligible.

As an analogy, if you wanted to make automobiles safer the Government could mandate roll-cages and five-point harness in every car. It would take you five minutes to get into or out of your car every time but fewer people would die. On the face of it five minutes seems like a fair trade for extra safety, but in reality when you add up five minutes for every person driving in North America every time they get into or out of their cars it adds up to thousands of hours a day, not to mention all the other complications, such as how people with disabilities or the elderly would cope. What sounds like a good idea at first quickly become a flop when you start working out all the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back