News   Jul 16, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     2 

Shabby Toronto

On behalf of the residents of Earlscourt/Corso Italia, please never come again. Normally we're a very welcoming and diverse neighbourhood, however we feel that you would be a detractor to it, even on a brief visit.

Kindly stay in your souless ghetto.

South Hill is a good nabe. I've met different people that lived in South Hill, they get around Toronto. This guy doesn't represent them, either he's a really young kid or not really open to exploring Toronto.

Yes I've been to these places. As much as one can consider them " places " and as much as one can take actually being there. It's all pretty generic.

I grew up in tony South Hill. Ugh. You were rarely encouraged to leave the nabe. Of course there were no stores, no kids, a lot of traffic, no one ever walks the streets, and there was no public transportation. Even though South Hill is nestled on the lower west side of Avenue Road and St. Clair.

A bus came down Avenue Road every once in a blue moon. And the street car up on St. Clair, basically went from nowhere to another nowhere and eventually you ended up in some unbelievably awful slum. That was a cultural highlight of living in South Hill. Riding the rails to see how the other 90% of world lived.

But I digress. Yes I've been to Etobicoke, Rosedale, Bennington Heights, Scarberia, the Beach, Hogs Hollow, Algonquin Island, Ward's Island, Hanlan's Point and Yorkdale Mall.

I've never been to North York, East York, The Bridal Path, Don Mills. And I've only been to the China Town on Spadina Ave. I may have driven through the one at Broadview and Gerrard. But if I did, it didn't leave much of an impression.

Some generic houses near where I live in Etobicoke:

Dsc00459.jpg

Dsc00451.jpg

A generic bridge in a park in winter, again near where I live:

Dsc01606.jpg

I think you haven't gotten out very much.

South Hill is a good nabe. I've met different people that lived in South Hill, they get around Toronto. This guy doesn't represent them, either he's a really young kid or not really open to exploring Toronto.

Or else, he belongs to the kind of parvenu family which might have torn down an Eden Smith original on behalf of a fully-fitted contemporary-schlock McMansion. I reckon they're the sort who're more likely to actively reject and avoid the further reaches of the St. Clair line as a squalid slum--the old-money South Hillers, meanwhile, might be more "live and let live" about it...

Or else, he belongs to the kind of parvenu family which might have torn down an Eden Smith original on behalf of a fully-fitted contemporary-schlock McMansion. I reckon they're the sort who're more likely to actively reject and avoid the further reaches of the St. Clair line as a squalid slum--the old-money South Hillers, meanwhile, might be more "live and let live" about it...

Mystic Point is including the nabe he supposedly grew up in, South Hill as part of the squalid slum. The kids with the expensive houses go to school above St. Clair.

^^ yea there are some really expensive houses on huge lots, but there's also smaller, more modest homes on small lots cheaper than Riverdale...

I meant that you'd come up with nothing if you were looking for a single-family house under $700,000 in South Hill/Poplar Plains.

You can't really compare South Hill and Riverdale. Riverdale is chock full of small-"l" liberal intelligentsia and creative class types living in semi-detached houses on relatively small lots. South Hill is mostly made up of mansions on bigger lots and the average house price there is probably close to $2 million. It has wayyyyyyy more snob appeal than Riverdale does.

Well yea, I agree, South Hill is more expensive area generally, but Riverdale is changing, per square foot it's probably close to South Hill prices. edit - yea I misread your previous post

It wouldn't surprise me, but isn't anywhere close to the level of South Hill in terms of snob appeal, given that there are very very few mansions in Riverdale.

While it's very appealing to well-off, professional creative class types I can't see the likes of Isabelle Bassett deciding to live in Riverdale any time soon.

ETA: I think we're about 95% in agreement.

Authenticity or hipness, maybe. Looking down on the squares and conformists who live up the hill or in the burbs.

Just to throw my own biases out, I wouldn't live north of Dupont on principle :)

Back